1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Backpack Paralysis - Help

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Ghostbear68, Jun 21, 2017.

1. Ghostbear68

Ghostbear68 Loaded Pockets

Hey all, I am hoping i can get some solid suggestions/advise on a new backpack out there.

First, I am 6th 300lbs so big shoulders. Currently I have the 5.11 Covrt 18. Its an ok pack but its not what i want> I have also had the rush 12 and in both instances have not liked the yoke/strap system from 5.11. At this point I am not interested in 5.11 as an option I have looked extensively at their stuff and recent inpections in local stores of the couple bags I had an interest in have left me to decide that its time to move away and upgrade to better bag.

That being said, right now I am looking for around a 30-35L bag. Since I have not quite convinced my wife she needs to have a bag so at this point i am looking to carry enough gear for myself, wife and child on a daily basis. To me this seems to be about a good size based on size of covrt 18 that i currently have.

I do like the option of molle and being able to add additional pouches as needed and configure the bag. This plays into the concept of keeping additional get home items in car that can be easily attached. I also would like the option to make the bag configurable on the inside either through hook and loop or control panel type set up.

Also, I am interested in the option of a good conceal carry pocket. Living in Arizona and constitutional carry I can carry on body almost anywhere but there are a few times that I would rather not have on body but still have a gun in reach.

I have looked at the following bags:

-TAD EDC
    This would be my bag of choice actually if it had a conceal carry pocket. But everything I have read, does not seem to indicate this to be so.
    -VERTYX GAMUT PLUS
    This seems to be a good option but I have read too many mixed reviews to be sure (seperate thread started on forums over this).
    -CAMELBAK MOTHERLODE
    I know camelbak has an awesome warranty but havent found too much on the new redesign. I dont know if this has conceal carry pocket or if there is any customizability to the interior main area.

Any feedback on the packs above or other pack suggestions would be fantastic. I have a trip coming up in september to England and trying to make an informed decision before the trip so i can get it purchased and try out for as long as possible before going.

rebala likes this.
  2. Myrddraal

Myrddraal Loaded Pockets

Two others you might consider :

1) Cannae Pro Phalanx.
    2) Direct Action Ghost.

I own both, and would be happy to answer any questions you have, or take any photos you'd like.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Water-Rat likes this.
  3. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

Myrddraal has a couple of good suggestions above. Another brand to consider is First Tactical. One of the founders was part of 5.11 and they have similar, but different bags. Note that I have no experience with these other than researching on the internet and drooling over my keyboard. I'm quite happy with my Rush 24 for now... but those three brands (Cannae, DA, and First Tactical) would be ones I'd consider if I ever had to replace it.

4. rebala

rebala Loaded Pockets

Interested in this also. I am 6 ft and barrel chested. Wear a 52 jacket so a lot of strap systems fit me poorly. My Rush24 chest strap basically hits under my neck.

5. Wesmanthetiger

Wesmanthetiger Loaded Pockets

I have a First Tactical pack as Water-Rat mentioned and have found them better than the current gear offered by 5.11. I would recommend the new Taxtic 1 or 3 day packs.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

6. onebadwagon

onebadwagon Loaded Pockets

I'm a big dude, too. The GoRuck stuff works for me, although they don't have a great 30L offering, the GR1 is a killer all around bag that carries a lot more than one would expect.

7. Novalic

Novalic Empty Pockets

Defidently would recommend the vertx gamut plus, I use the regular gamut for edc for just me and my kids. Straps are some of the best I've used.

Tad edc can work with the cp pouch and right internal holster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

8. ballistic

ballistic Loaded Pockets

GR2 34L and a PDW EDCO panel.

9. _mg_

_mg_ Loaded Pockets

Drooling over the Gamut.

10. steeps

steeps Loaded Pockets

Camelbak Urban Assault Concealed
    Alpha One Niner Evade