1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Backpack illumination help

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by LaVillaStrangiato11, Feb 25, 2017.

1. LaVillaStrangiato11

LaVillaStrangiato11 Loaded Pockets

Hey guys and gals...

I'm just looking for some recommendations on how you all equip your pack with lights. I usually ride my bike to and from work during nice weather season. I work on-call and can possibly be out very late at night to early, early mornings. My ride back isn't too bad, but I still want that extra protection with a light or two on my backpack. I don't have anything on my bike (if you have recommendations for those too, that would be great).

I am looking for something that could possibly be attached to molle webbing? I wanted to get a MR ASAP whenever it comes out in foliage. Unless there are other ways to attach lighting devices, but just thought clipping something onto molle might be easier.

Thanks so much!

2. Benbrooks

Benbrooks Loaded Pockets

If I need lights on my pack I'll typically use a headlamp and wrap the strap in the MOLLE and secure with Nite Ize Gear Ties (heavy duty twist ties). Works pretty well and gear ties are really handy.

kensington likes this.
  3. JLeePhoto

JLeePhoto Empty Pockets

I use a Planet Bike Superflash turbo hooked to my seatbag molle and it seems to run forever in blink mode and is attention getting. I also have a Fenix LD10 on my bars, a ZL H600 when I have my pack, and a Maratac 3a on my key ring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. irl314

irl314 Loaded Pockets

I just use a generic bike light, one with a rubber/stretchy attachment point. I used to have it on my bike but I put it on the top grab handle of my pack for walking home, it switches between constant light and strobe.

5. intocoman

intocoman Loaded Pockets

Second on the Planet Bike super flash, great light. I prefer having the light mounted to the bike, usually seat post in the rear and on the bars for the front. That way it's always there, back pack or not. They clip in and out pretty easy if you are worried about leaving if clipped to the bike while you're away. Most bike tail lights would clip onto MOLLE with the standard clip. The clip into the mounting bracket also clips to webbing.
    The front is a bit more complicated. Front lights are like flashlights, $2-$2000 if you want. First question is if you want a light to see with or to be seen by. So are you lighting up a dark trail or just want something to catch a driver's attention. Second question is light on the bars or the helmet? I prefer the bars.
    Trail, I'd look at my buddies custom Amoeba Light amoebas.blogspot.com. He can rig up what ever you need.
    Just to be seen the Blackburn Click USB Front Light. Cheap and bright with some options. My 6 year old has these on his bike.
    I use a SuperFlash and a 2 LED Amoeba. Works for commuting or shredding trails. I'll see if I can get some pictures tonight.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

6. newnan3

newnan3 Loaded Pockets

HardToHandle likes this.
  7. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

I have red lightlaces woven through my backpack, not too bright but can easily be seen at night!

8. intocoman

intocoman Loaded Pockets

Movement and random/changing lights work well also. The blink pattern I like on the super flash does this. The reflective ankle straps do double duty. They keep your pants out of the chain and move and change angle of the reflection. The human brain is triggered on movement so taking advantage of that helps. A tail light on your helmet helps also cause you move your head. The safety vests work as well, reflective and bright. I saw a guy that rigged up one of those yellow barricade lights to those giant 9V(?) batteries with the spring terminals. I have lights on the valve stems on the kid trailer that activate with motion so the trailer is visible from the side. Ankle straps help here to.

Like these: 3 Pairs of Adjustable Reflective Bands That Can Be Worn on Ankles, Wrists, or Arms While Running, Cycling, Walking, or Hiking https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018FKDDRS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_qjnTybQ4HGWJC

9. LaVillaStrangiato11

Thanks so much guys!!

10. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

11. LaVillaStrangiato11

12. weklund

weklund Loaded Pockets

Nitecore NU30 for me … [​IMG]

Overall excellent system. I love the rechargeable aspect and the fact that you can run it indefinitely on an external USB power bank.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Swe_Nurse

Swe_Nurse Loaded Pockets

Olight S15R, Lumintop EDC25

14. HardToHandle

HardToHandle Loaded Pockets

Great idea. Road guards on Army marches wore reflective belts around their packs, which provide retroflectivity in all aspects. So are the slap wrist and ankle bracelets as noted. The feels are usually moving on a bicycle, so they are great visibility enhancers.

I also like the Milspec Monkey reflective straps. I have a pair that I swap onto different bags and they are nice adjuncts.
    http://milspecmonkey.com/store/field-supplies/551-msm-reflector-straps.html

15. Swe_Nurse

Swe_Nurse Loaded Pockets

I carry a Guardian expedition light in my backpack. Can be constant on or flashing through a pretty ingenious design, you flip the battery. Comes with a head/wrist strap, can attach to the back of my Olight H1R strap (red would be great for this for bicycling) or attach to MOLLE on my backpack. Quite visible, light and comes in a variety of colors, I chose yellow.

16. NorthernHarrier

NorthernHarrier Loaded Pockets

For diffuse area illumination, I'd check out a Xtar Moon RC2 clip-on light. It has good run-times at a variety of outputs and is water-resistant. For blinking red light, I cast another vote for the Superflash.

17. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

I would just check out what is available in your local bike shop - they will almost certainly have a range of lights to fit...

Generally bike specific lights will be unsurprisingly bike specific - no not an ideal EDC, but perfect for cycling - things like coming with supplied brackets/quick releases for mounting to bikes or rucksacks, appropriate colours (white in front, red for the rear) and having a choice in blinking/solid lighting as required where you stay (blinking lights being more visible, but some locations require constant lighting).
    More importantly, a basic set shouldn't be too expensive so buying a set or two is a fairly reasonable purchase (and ultimately, you shouldn't even be considering riding a bike on the road, in the dark without lights).

The lights I have been using the last couple of years have been a set of the crescent lights from moon which have been superb - they use a USB rechargeable battery so they are tiny and weigh next to nothing, have a decent output and runtime, and came with a set of two quick release brackets each - one to fix to the frame, and a second on a clip to attach to webbing/rucksacks/etc - this lets me have a set of lights fixed to the bike, plus I use a second rear light worn higher on my rucksack for better visibility (and the easier I am for motorists to spot, the better).