1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Backpack for tablet - rethinking my work carry

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Ram Man, May 14, 2016.

1. Ram Man

Ram Man Loaded Pockets

Asset manager told me she wants me to have a new tablet rather than my tired laptop. So I want to move away from the traditional laptop bag and get myself a suitable-for-work backpack. I do have a backpack I use for my various day adventures, but need something a bit more permanent for work.

I have looked at a gazillion pictures and realize I will only be happy when I look and see what appeals to me. However, I value opinions here on the forum so I'd love to hear some things to watch out for etc.

Here are my requirements, as best I can articulate them.

- I'm an office guy with an executive position, so low key is better (black etc)
    - carry is between car and office, car and house daily
    - I travel, by air, a couple of times a month so airport agony reduction would be helpful (bonus if the bag had a deep/thick pocket that fit my CPAP machine but I'm not hopeful for that)
    - today I carry a laptop and an iPad. I will soon have a Windows tablet (some DELL config if I remember), and the iPad (although I am not sure I will need both)
    - stuff I carry that I like to be able to separate from each other in various pockets
    • power cords for electronics (iPhoane/iPad, tablet, laptop etc)
    • power brick for emergency recharging
    • spare glasses, medications, sometimes safety glasses, Altoids tin (with Altoids)
    • business cards, pens, a few folders/notes for projects (I'm am horribly dependent on paper still which needs to be fixed!)
    • passport & related travel documents
    • EDC stuff when permitted, knife/multitool etc
    - I was chastised at the car dealer yesterday for my bad behavior - too much weight on my key-chain that will damage the fob in the ignition so my new policy is to have only car key in my hand the remainder in a pocket in the bag
    So..I realize you can't pick my bag for me, but you can offer some ideas & guidance as to what to watch for.
    Thanks forum!

2. Captainkirk

Captainkirk Loaded Pockets

Alpha one niner evade.

AlgoOPC and Ram Man like this.
  3. Chris C

Chris C Loaded Pockets

+1 on the Evade. And also for the keychain, take a look at a car with a push button start. Don't even have to take the car keys off your belt or out of pocket to turn it on or open door.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Ram Man

Ram Man Loaded Pockets

I wish, truck is only a year old and she's a keeper. I certainly hope my next car has the push button - until then I will clip it on/off my carabiner

[​IMG]

5. kwik9

kwik9 Empty Pockets

Jansport Right Pack Digital Edition

Ram Man likes this.
  6. HardToHandle

HardToHandle Loaded Pockets

I have a similar profile... Executive, frequent travel, daily carry home and office, tablet and a laptop.

Day to day I use a CFF Claymore, a minimalist shoulder bag.

When on the road, I frequently use a Northface Refractor Duffel/backpack. It is backpack meets travel sized brief case.
    The NF carries my mobile office items, small laptop and iPad, head phones, change of shirt/socks/underwear and hygiene items. The all black, rectangular appearance has fit into corporate broad rooms and senior government meetings.

Ram Man likes this.
  7. Ram Man

Ram Man Loaded Pockets

Nice options guys, thanks!

8. lnytunes

lnytunes Loaded Pockets

I picked up the Osprey Pixel Daypack and haven't looked back. There is pouch that fits all my cords, the laptop zip is on the side and there is a separate tablet pocket as well. It also expands to allow for a bit more gear when you need it. I got the version without the clear plastic pouch for the tablet (Osprey Pixel Port).

9. steeps

steeps Loaded Pockets

Have you looked at the Tom Bihn Synapse 25?

10. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

You might like the Rickshaw Bags Sutro backpack. I recently went this route myself. The bag is very office friendly. Below is a link to my post with some pic's and generally how I use the bag. What I really like about the Rickshaws is the fact I can decide what materials and colors I want used in it's construction.

https://www.edcforums.com/threads/graymans-edc.102937/page-3#post-2554600

11. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

I bought a Vanquest Trident 20 specifically for office EDC and dad stuff. It's modernized so dad stuff is in Eagle Creek quarter cubes. When those aren't present, and even when the are, the Trident 20 works great for my tablet with keypad cover. I carry things mentioned by the OP sans CPAP. It's definitely not as classy as a Saddleback, which i considered for office EDC, but it's more "me" and far more versatile. I keep a Vanquest organizer for the smaller things including most cords and battery bank. I added some kind of bottle holder to the side (Tigris One?) and a Leatherman MOLLE sheath for my wave. I'm ok with the tactifoo accessories. I also removed the waist strap, stashed the sternal strap in the bag, and put a couple of grimlocs on it.

AlgoOPC likes this.