1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Backpack for covering kids sports

Discussion in 'First Aid Station' started by marbiol, Sep 13, 2014.

1. marbiol

marbiol Loaded Pockets

I'm an EMT and I have a trauma bag, but I might be doing some general cover for kids sporting events in the near future. I'm looking for a backpack to use for my kit and I'd like to find something that will fit a good general kit with good organization without costing a lot.

I won't have O2 so don't need to fit that and probably won't need to fit a BVM... Just general bandaids, gauze, pads,bandages, wipes, SAM splints, pocket masks and airways etc.

If I was sitting I'd probably just bring the big bag, but since I'll likely be moving around, I thought it would be nice to have a pack. Opening flat would also be a bonus, but not essential if I can see in easily...

2. VinceRN

VinceRN Loaded Pockets

I used to work high school football games as an EMT in the early '90s. I carried too much dressing stuff, the year I did it I only did a few small dressings and my trauma bag was half dressing stuff. SAM splints are definitely a good idea, wrist injuries were common, as were finger injuries. Ace wraps and ice packs are used a lot doing that.

As far as big injuries, be thinking in terms of care you have to provide waiting for EMS. They will being plenty of the big stuff.

A pen and pad to write stuff down is alway a good idea.

Plenty of water is usually available, and a lot of the kids are not drinking enough, sometimes sitting down for a few minutes and drinking a liter of water is all they need.

Probably the most important thing to pack is self confidence and the attitude of being in charge when you have a patient, but without being confrontational. Not always easy, you have to deal with kids that don't understand their injuries and want to play, and with coaches (and even parents) that sometimes care more about the game than they do about the kid. Most coaches, and most parents, are not like that, but some are.

As for the container itself, I like roll out bags. They lay flat and you can see everything.

Sent from my mind using Tapatalk HD

3. marbiol

marbiol Loaded Pockets

Yup - pretty much what I was thinking - it will be a first aid guy job rather than EMT - mostly keeping people calm and making sure injuries aren't bad. Lots of band aids and ice and the occasional splint. Anything transportable is a call 911 situation - at least I have a decent understanding of local protocols so I know what to ask for (they have a habit of sending fire assist for everything here)...

But I like doing sports events and the kids will be a nice change of pace (my service does adult stuff so I have protocols and a rig for that...).

I was considering a trauma bag and a belt pack so I can walk but not carry everything the whole time, but it's only a couple of hours at a time.

4. billfires

billfires Empty Pockets

Galls offers a Dyna Med back pack for $59.99 (comes in red or blue). Reviews are mostly positive. Hope this helps. Bill C

5. marbiol

marbiol Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the pointer - I think I've seen the same on a couple of sites...

I decided to just go with my LA Rescue trauma bag... It's light enough and since I'm just doing first aid and basic trauma (no meds), the load is pretty light. The heaviest thing I'm carrying is a couple of instant cold packs in case I'm not near my cooler of ice when I need it... The backpacks that look like they would work well for what I'm doing (ie. better than just a regular backpack) are in the $200-500 range unfortunately...