1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Backpack for cop

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Brainbox, Jul 15, 2017.

1. MinistryOfTruth
    • In Omnia Paratus

MinistryOfTruth Uber Prepared

I hope you guys had a nice time with Minnie!
    I'm very interested in your thoughts on the topic, no rush or pressure of course :)

I think you're on to something, i'm going to hold back a little to let you finish your musing.

Internal organization is never good, but in some bags it has enough give or clever placing to be useful for something. Dont even get me started on sown in admin panels, i mostly dont even bother with those at all since all the care spent organizing the stuff is wasted after 15 minutes of behaving like a reasonably civilized adult carrying a bag :)

I do want to say that 5.11 has a tendency to creep up on me, after a little time trying their Rush24 out, taking it on various trips etc it dawned on me how cleverly designed it is. Build, function and price are incredibly well balanced with that one.
    The medium outer pocket is a complete mystery to me (Why there? Why like that? Why?) and the admin stuff inside makes no sense but never mind. Use what is useful.

RED-FIVE and ArkansasFan30 like this.
  2. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

Yes we had a lovely time. Now missing a left flip flop. If you see one...just saying.

Yes so the cute little organizational pen slots and business card holders etc don't really retain anything. Stuff comes out. Hit your brakes, bag sails fr seat to floorboard, crap spills out. It's also a forced organization, if you happen to like pens of a larger than standard girth good luck. This applies across the spectrum not just 5.11.

Regarding 5.11 I don't like the yolk style of shoulder straps, and that's all I can say about that.

Most tactical bags go for depth rather than width. Both have trade offs, but bags of this nature tend to "stack deep" rather than wide. Most men, likely the primary consumer of tactical bags, can probably handle wider bags due to our inherent body size. For any body type, projecting weight away from the body, rather than close, changes one's center of gravity and the weight is perceived as greater and thus more physically and indirectly mentally taxing notwithstanding the difficulty of make sharp turns in doorways. Goruck, for example is designed to not be deep in construction and despite attempts to over stuff it it remains fairly close to the body.

PALS webbing. I agree we should have some on bags. For EDC, which is what the lion's share of us do with these, we're probably not affixing myriad pouches especially in this new season of more discreet, or "gray," accessories. If it's your total Wilderness BOB or war bag do whatever you want. I bought a Maxpedition bag and never liked it due to the fabric, narrow straps, and over abundance of "strappage." Seeing and living that in person gave me a negative outlook on bags. I then transitioned to Vanquest with less webbing and probably better organization. Too many pen slots

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

MinistryOfTruth likes this.
  3. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

Yes we had a lovely time. Now missing a left flip flop. If you see one...just saying.

Yes so the cute little organizational pen slots and business card holders etc don't really retain anything. Stuff comes out. Hit your brakes, bag sails fr seat to floorboard, crap spills out. It's also a forced organization, if you happen to like pens of a larger than standard girth good luck. This applies across the spectrum not just 5.11.

Regarding 5.11 I don't like the yolk style of shoulder straps, and that's all I can say about that.

Most tactical bags go for depth rather than width. Both have trade offs, but bags of this nature tend to "stack deep" rather than wide. Most men, likely the primary consumer of tactical bags, can probably handle wider bags due to our inherent body size. For any body type, projecting weight away from the body, rather than close, changes one's center of gravity and the weight is perceived as greater and thus more physically and indirectly mentally taxing notwithstanding the difficulty of make sharp turns in doorways. Goruck, for example is designed to not be deep in construction and despite attempts to over stuff it it remains fairly close to the body.

PALS webbing. I agree we should have some on bags. For EDC, which is what the lion's share of us do with these, we're probably not affixing myriad pouches especially in this new season of more discreet, or "gray," accessories. If it's your total Wilderness BOB or war bag do whatever you want. I bought a Maxpedition bag and never liked it due to the fabric, narrow straps, and over abundance of "strappage." Seeing and living that in person gave me a negative outlook on bags. I then transitioned to Vanquest with less webbing and probably better organization. That had too many pen slots, lots of pockets and quite novel. Essentially on the Trident, the lining is also full of pockets which held greater stowaway options but seriously scaled what I carried around.

Through an evolution I downsized to a Goruck Bullet. I have leftover space, carry less, and never miss what I gave up. It's lower profile, very well made, smaller, and sleeker. It has no meaningful organization just pockets. I'm not totally happy with the menagerie of my top, inner pocket, but overall I'm more satisfied than with any backpack I've used. I have a GR1 for other usage. Interestingly, their initial bag designs included organizational "cavities," but citing information available on their website they realized it was distracting from their prime focus.

Stepping backwards a decade, this all started with a solid black North Face bag, sans TNF logo, and those used to be hard to find. I didn't want a tactical bag then, but ten years ago most outdoor company bags were basically buckets. Insert item, sink to bottom, drown in pool of other items, flail around in search of item.

I think companies are beginning to find common ground between ruggedness and ergonomics.

MinistryOfTruth and RED-FIVE like this.
  4. MinistryOfTruth
    • In Omnia Paratus

Which one of y'all is missing that flipflop?

Total agreement on the organizational thing, forced and it's neither square nor round. I used to carry a whole array of pens for different sketching and rendering some twenty years ago ( :eek: ) and i was spending a lot of time devising organizers that would fit my well tweaked and extensive collection. I have yet to see an actually functional setup.

Yes, agreed on the depth vs width design issue. Displacing the natural centre of gravity and balance of a body has all sorts of issues, one thing for sure is repetitive wear on joints and habitual compensations for misaligning resulting in specialized muscles, uneven wear on feet, knees, core and pelvic floor and all sorts of small but critical places. Perhaps it wont matter until later when one changes lifestyle/carreer or old age comes to collect dues and that's just the "slow burning fuse" issues. I cant immagine what kind of problems somebody who deals with high stress/risk situations on the daily has to face with their gear.
    Vis a vis the R24 i solved that by adding more compression straps, i keep forgetting those werent there from start. They made a lot of difference.
    But the main lesson for me is that you can do a lot with a few well selected items and a bigger pack is almost never the answer. Go as small as possible and have some empty space left. :)

Goruck seems to have a well thought out formula and deserve praise for keeping their focus. I might have to widen my addiction to check their stuff out hmm?

I gave up on top loaders in my late teens. Buckets can go do something somewhere for all i care, so can most outdoor stuff overall. Flimsy stitching, RS fabrics that dont stop rips, straps coming loose, spontaneous zipper casualties and all sorts of issues for x times the price of 5.11 gear.

RED-FIVE and ArkansasFan30 like this.
  5. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

Bought a rush 24 few months ago. Was my first 5.11 backpack.
    I totally recognize the theme of this discussion. The bag felt well built for the price, but I could not get used to the depth of it. Also some of the pockets made no sense to me. After 2 weeks of contemplation it went back.
    I have now replaced it with a Tasmanian Tiger Mission MkII. This backpack feels incredibly well built, but is not very suited for EDC as it is built more like hiking backpack. For me that's OK as I will mainly use it to howling guns and ammo around on the range.
    Besides, my background with many year of hiking with backpacks from the traditional outdoor company's makes it mentally hard for me to move away from that style of carry. Goruck seems interesting though.
    If this was post was confusing, it's because I'm alternating between writing and playing games with my kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Brainbox

Brainbox Loaded Pockets

As a postscript to this thread. Here's the stuff that will go into my new bag. By the way kudos to 5.11. The messenger bag in the photo shows no wear after a year and half of daily use!

[​IMG]

7. Brainbox

Brainbox Loaded Pockets

Panasonic toughpad
    Two extra mags for duty pistol (one takes 20 bullets)
    One extra M4 mag
    ASP baton
    Extra set handcuffs
    Boker cop tool
    Sunglasses
    Raid hat
    Leatherman wave
    Notebook and pens
    Smoke masks
    Motorola radio and extra batt
    Mechanix Pursuit CR5 gloves
    Nitecore SRT7 flashlight
    Keys
    Trauma pack
    Israeli bandage
    Anti mossie spray
    Suntan lotion
    Tasco 8x21 binoculars
    Lightman safety flasher
    Hi Viz vest
    Window breaker
    Various pills
    Folding spork and lighter in waterproof box
    Hand sanitizer
    Nitrile gloves

steeps, MinistryOfTruth and RED-FIVE like this.
  8. steeps

steeps Loaded Pockets

Nice loadout!
    What make and model is your duty pistol?

9. RED-FIVE
    • +4 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

RED-FIVE Loaded Pockets

Hey Brainbox, we'd be interested in hearing how you like the 2017 model when you get a chance. Thanks.
    Rf

Michael Rex and MinistryOfTruth like this.
  10. MinistryOfTruth
    • In Omnia Paratus

What Red said is seconded by yours truly, and again, if you got pics, flaunt it :)

RED-FIVE likes this.