1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Backpack for cop

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Brainbox, Jul 15, 2017.

1. Brainbox

Brainbox Loaded Pockets

Hi. I have been using a 5.11 messenger bag as a duty bag. I don't like the traditional square duty bags that are only good in the car. Now I want to change to a backpack. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Need plenty of interior area for the usual police gear: flashlight, water, handcuffs, pistol and M4 mags, knife, first aid kit etc.

I need a black bag but prefer a light colored interior. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Norseman

Norseman Loaded Pockets

What about the MOAB 10? Or Rush 12? (If you like 5.11)

MinistryOfTruth likes this.
  3. Brainbox

Brainbox Loaded Pockets

For my needs the Rush 24 is almost perfect. Only problem is the black interior. If there was a similar pack to the Rush with a light colored interior, that would be great!

4. Norseman

Norseman Loaded Pockets

How about the Tactical Tailor Urban Operator? Has high-vis orange interior.

5. MinistryOfTruth
    • In Omnia Paratus

MinistryOfTruth Uber Prepared

Update:
    Checked it out a little on the googly and edited accordingly.

Vertx makes black bags with khaki interior, they have a line of packs called EDC that might be just right for you. Good space for storing stuff, internal organization seems decent on all the models i saw and they sell inserts for further organizing. Plus Vertx makes high quality durable stuff. Those EDC bags are clamshell so it's easy to get an overview of your kit, they have admin panels, laptop storage (easily hold files or documents or what have you) etc etc.
    Not much of external webbing from what i could see but if you look at other lines they make you can have that too, depends on what profile you want and how you want your kit kitted :)

5.11 "All Hazards" backpacks come in black with orange inside and some sort of molle rows inside if you want to organize it with mag holders, pouches, admin inserts and such.
    Also clamshell design, 5.11 you already know so quality ought to be consistent with their stuff right?They also have some kind of transporter-tail thing with pockets so more organizing and the option to strap something like a rain kit or the like outside of the bag isn't bad if you're stuck somewhere working in torrential downpour.

Last edited by MinistryOfTruth, Jul 16, 2017
    #5 MinistryOfTruth, Jul 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    Jay PS, RED-FIVE and HardToHandle like this.
  6. Norseman

Norseman Loaded Pockets

Never mind ...I don't think it comes in black.

7. MinistryOfTruth
    • In Omnia Paratus

8. JOE68

JOE68 Loaded Pockets

I solve the dark interior of bags with small squeeze flashlights.
    This way I get the bag that I want, and the light makes everything visible.

RoadWizard, RED-FIVE, garza and 2 others like this.
  9. MinistryOfTruth
    • In Omnia Paratus

+1k i'm totally stealing this solution, thanks!

alessandro.salvi likes this.
  10. HardToHandle

HardToHandle Loaded Pockets

As the OP noted, most of the folks I know have used various square bags, in a variety of sizes. Those usually sit well in the passenger seat of one man patrol car. I have to remember that some folks have two man cars and today's big Tahoes might be well suited to backpack versus older sedans. I use a LA Police Bailout Bag, which is black in and out.

My first choice would be the filet-open backpacks from Arcteryx and Vertx. Those 25-35l packs could lay flat of the pack's back and still be easy to access in a seat or trunk. Also easy to customize with Velcro lining and lighter interior colors. I use different light colored inserts, such as Wolf Grey LBX and Tan MAVRK pouches in mine, which helps with visibility. If a black exterior is flexible, similar options may be the LBX Titan (when on sale) or the Vanquest Ibex.

While on Vanquest, they have several light colored interior, reconfigurable packs such as the Trident. I think they are mostly fugly reinterpretations of Maxepidtion Packs, but I do think they are probably pretty workable in patrol car.

The classic black Three Day pack might be workable if you use light colored inserts. I tried the 5.11 pack insert in an old Blackhawk Three Day Pack and was underwhelmed, but it was 5.11. LBT has some neat looking inserts with Velcro and MOLLE. I have a buddy using a Kydex MOLLE frame in his GoRuck, which works to carry a shorty AR 9mm pistol.

My wife got a Mountainsmith SLR camera pack that has a high contrast yellow interior. It is discontinued now, but was a 24l size similar to their Cavern pack. Mountainsmith's camera bags may work.

If you are willing to spend some dollars, I have used a Pelican hard case backpack too. Overkill for a patrol car, but tough and cool looking. Mine always got comments when traveling.

11. Brainbox

Brainbox Loaded Pockets

Thanks for some thorough answers. Just ordered the camelbak urban 2017 model. Perfect!

12. MinistryOfTruth
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nice choice, hope it works out! Dont be shy with the pics btw :)

13. Djs105

Djs105 Loaded Pockets

Blauer just released this in the last few weeks. I don't know much about it, but if I didn't love my Rush 24, I'd give this a try. The armor pocket seems stupid to me, but I like the other features.

https://www.blauer.com/silentpartner?promoblock

14. Brit1664

Brit1664 Loaded Pockets

I ditched my rush 12 for a goruck GR1 26l with added pouches. I have a TAD gear OP1 with spare handcuffs hidden in the velcro pouch at the front. Inside I have a trauma kit, entry kit other stuff.

[​IMG]
    OP1 pouch with pens, cuffs, and other goodies.

[​IMG]
    Trauma Kit (ITS Tallboy) inside and room for ammo pouches on inside molle. Works well as a police bag and not too tactical looking with OP pouch on front. Loads of room.

15. Brainbox

Brainbox Loaded Pockets

Quite frankly this looks like it was designed by a committee and looks as bulky as the old square patrol bags.

16. ballistic

ballistic Loaded Pockets

My thoughts exactly. Too short and boxy, almost ridiculously so.

[​IMG]

Sent from my  iPhone 7 using Tapatalk Pro

17. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

I'd have to say Blauer and 5.11 have become good at making almost nothing despite making some version of everything.
    Cool to see see ITS and GORUCK gear across the pond.

18. MinistryOfTruth
    • In Omnia Paratus

Idk about Blauer but 5.11 has sorta moved into a lull of some kind even though they're releasing all sorts of stuff, i agree.
    It seems to me as if quite a few brands are uncertain in which direction to move, either bending over backwards and making some pretty bland stuff or going full on beastmode and doing somethingthat looks too much and does nothing your average XYZ already does at half price.

I blame the gray-trend. If everybody start looking like nothing then all of a sudden we'll be sticking out like unsore and dull thumbs all over ;)

No but seriously. Is a plateau being reached?

Myrddraal likes this.
  19. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

I think so. I'm of the impression that less people are as interested in grossly tactical materiel as they were in recent years. Most people probably don't attach anything to their PALS webbing and have developed interests in "higher tier" goods than 5.11 and the competition at that price point. I find that the internal "organization" isn't quite the organization I want.

Well my kid is bugging me. I have other thoughts. Off to play with Minnie Mouse!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk