1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Backpack Decision Time

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by rhyno, Jan 7, 2010.

1. rhyno

rhyno Empty Pockets

Hello,
    I am going to be buying my first EDC bag soon, and i needed some opinions. The bags that I'm considering are the Maxpedition Falcon II, Sitga, Vulture II, and Kodiak. My requirements are:
    1. I need to have a good range of movement.
    2. It needs to be able to hold all of my EDC gear as well as any other "accidental" gear.
    3. It needs to be comfortable.
    4. I would like it to be able to hold a 3-ring binder.
    Thanks!

2. Valpo Hawkeye

Valpo Hawkeye Loaded Pockets

The only thing you mention that it needs to hold is a 3-ring binder. What's the rest of your gear? Do you mean "incidental" gear, or are you in emergency services? I have the Sitka, and I can tell you that it will hold a 3-ring binder, but barely.

3. molawns

molawns Loaded Pockets

Take all the stuff you plan on keeping in the bag, and place it in a pillowcase. Measure the height, width and depth...multiply the numbers. That'll give you the total cubic inches you need in a bag.

That might make your decision a little easier.

4. redawg

redawg Loaded Pockets

That's a great idea! I'll have to remember that.

5. rhazkhal

rhazkhal Loaded Pockets

This is the kind of answers i want to get everytime i ask someone... :thumbsup: Your the man :bow: "Molawns" !!!

And to help help you out rhino I say go for the Sitka not only it gives you a good range and motion and it also goes for the pack cause you can easily swing it in front of you when you need it w/o taking it off, but the down side is like what Hawkeye said it "barely" holds a 3 ring binder... Good luck and I'm pretty sure you'll get your answer sooner than later with the help from our fellow EDCers here!!!

6. rhyno

rhyno Empty Pockets

To clarify Valpo, my EDC gear consists of, mini first aid kit, water, writing utensils, paper, surefire, small paperback, leatherman, and school binder. The Accidentals that i am talking about are things that i wouldn't normally carry, or things that i picked up along the way (lunch, gym clothes, etc.).

7. Gödel_Fan

Gödel_Fan Loaded Pockets

I have carried a 1.5" binder in the Kodiak several times, many time actually. But I wouldn't dare go any thicker than that.

8. solocanoe

solocanoe Empty Pockets

+1 on the Sitka - I carried a binder every once in a while... to not have to carry my briefcase too - file folders were easier.
    It depends on what else you are gonna have in the main pocket of the Sitka, really. (sorry, I know that's not real helpful when you can't hold it! :shrug:)

My Sitka left over the holidays with a family member, but it was a good bag - only one I had off your list....
    Good luck in your search!

9. patches152

patches152 Loaded Pockets

+1 on the pillow case idea.

OP, be sure to let us know which one you get!

10. Valpo Hawkeye

Valpo Hawkeye Loaded Pockets

Here's a 1" binder
    [​IMG]

This pic shows the bag with a 1" binder zipped up inside...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. rhyno

rhyno Empty Pockets

Sorry everybody, but i just thought of a couple more requirements. They are:
    1. It needs to be able to be a bikers pack.
    2. I need to be able to use it as an overnight/school pack as well.
    Thank you guys for all of your help so far! :)

Just a quick question, why do you guys recommend the Sitga so much over the others?

12. GregBFL

GregBFL Loaded Pockets

I've owned the FalconII, Condor II (smaller version of the VultureII) and the Kodiak. I like the Kodiak for a light EDC back because it can be put on - taken off quickly and has plenty of room. I've even used it to carry my 16" laptop and books when I travel through the airports. The only drawback I see to it is you can overload it to the point it becomes uncomfortable after an extended period of time. As far as backpacks are concerned, I sold the FalconII and Condor II and now have a 5.11 Rush 24 backpack that I like much better. Both of the Maxped's were nice, but for my own personal preference of pack layout, the Rush 24 has nicer features.

13. Rawls

Rawls Loaded Pockets

I really like the size and features of the Pygmy Falcon II.

14. rhyno

rhyno Empty Pockets

How much weight is too much weight for the Kodiak and the Sitga? Also, Does anybody else recommend the Rush 24?

15. solocanoe

solocanoe Empty Pockets

rhyno, you may already have read thru some of my posts on the Rush 24 thread (just search by RUSH 24 or by my posts)....I've owned and carried and progressed thru the fatboy, jumbo, remora (still crazy how much the remora holds for it's small size) the sitka, and now I have the RUSH 24 for my edc bag and I'm just totally jazzed by it. I should add I just bought the colossus here on edcf from a member, but i've not carried it, it will be a range bag i think...

I added a shoulder strap, there are pics of that - so I can wear it either way. I'm sure there are excellent maxped. backbpack styles...I just have no reference.

the sitka was cool....but the rush allows me almost the whole middle (other than my canteen bottle/cup/stove/carrier) to pack how I want. it's really nice having all that open space to use differently from day to day.

16. FRagman1967

FRagman1967 Loaded Pockets

Might I suggest a Blackhawk three day assault pack? It has the room you need, in spades, has cinch straps to make it slimmer when you need a close fit, room for lots of extra stuff, and if you get the long spare additional pouches you can carry icky stuff like worn gym-clothes in that and save your other stuff from the honor of being packed next to your chonies!
    In tan or black, it doesn't look too Military, so schools won't freak.
    I have an older pack that I have taken on three trips to Japan and dozens of car-trips and back and it still looks fresh and shows virtually no wear. It has been a pillow, crammed under plane seats, and overhead bins, stuffed with bento boxes and sake bottles, and was a 25 pound carry-on full of Chu-Hi until they banned liquids on aircraft. It's a winner through and through.

17. sanddragger28

sanddragger28 Empty Pockets

Ive had severa; of the Maxp's versipacks but just decided to get a Maxp operator check it out.

18. rhyno

rhyno Empty Pockets

The reason that i don't want Blackhawk is that they are extremely overpriced for what they are giving you.

19. FRagman1967

FRagman1967 Loaded Pockets

I bought mine used on Ebay. I paid maybe 60 bux for it. I would have happily paid full price for one had I known how bulletproof it would be.
    My mantra is: always buy the best you can afford. Even if it means that you have to wait and save.
    I will concede to you that they are rather pricey but from what I have seen on the boards here, anything less than $250.00 for an optimum pack is rather good.
    I am sure you'll find something nice as you have lotsa help here. Let us know what you decide upon.

20. patches152

patches152 Loaded Pockets

always remember the #1 rule of the internet: PIX OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN.

when you get a bag, take lots of pix, and let us know how it works. use it for awhile, then show us what you can stuff into it. that's where the fun is.