1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Back-ups?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by lightboy, Dec 18, 2007.

1. lightboy

lightboy Empty Pockets

I've recently bought a few "back-ups" (same models) of knives I already own and really like. Thinkin' about getting another Buck 110 now too, since I saw a pretty good deal on one at a nearby sporting good store.. Anyone else here have "back-ups" or buy more than one of the same model knife? And if so, your reasons? Just curious...

2. parnass

parnass Loaded Pockets

I have bought duplicates of a few items I really liked (e.g., knives, lights, etc.), but often regretted it afterwards.

After a few months I would find something different -- a newer, improved model or something else which I wanted more than the duplicate I had purchased. Concluded that buying a duplicate had not been a wise use of money.

I do carry backup lights and blades, but not duplicates.

3. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Same here; with handguns as well.

4. mossyoak

mossyoak Loaded Pockets

i did for my spyderco native, but ive sold and given them all away, then i got a strider, and they are a tad to expensive to buy dup's of, and im not worried about it breaking, but if i lost it i would have a mourning period that would be 3-5 business days.

5. VT-aroo

VT-aroo Loaded Pockets

UK lights 2 AAA and xenon. But as they say, after a while I found other lights that were better. And for some reason Minibucks. Like enough for a bunch of lost ones.

6. chavez

chavez Loaded Pockets

That has to be one of the funniest things I've read all morning! :lolhammer:

7. Codeman

Codeman Loaded Pockets

I get backups of a lot of things these days.  I've had a few really good products wear out over time, only to discover they are no longer made.  A good example is Brookstone's old style key ring.  The upgraded model is simply too big for my tastes.  Luckily, I have one backup for whenever the one that I'm using breaks.

So, for knives, I have backups of several, which are listed in the thread HoopleHead has provided a link for in the next post.

8. HoopleHead

HoopleHead Banned

9. Stutoffee

Stutoffee Loaded Pockets

IF its something especially good, I often find myself buying 2 (or even THREE!) of the items.
    Some of my doubles:-

SAK Minichamp (on Tuesday!)
    CRKT Sting bootknife
    Marine Corps Kabar
    Buck Strider 889
    Inova X5
    Dealextreme Fauxton (30!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D)
    SAK Swisscard
    Dealextreme SD card holder
    SAK Classic SD

10. Chux

Chux Loaded Pockets

When I find something I like I often get a second (or more) partly to have a backup in case the first wears out or gets lost/stolen etc, but also so I can use one without fear of it becoming irreplacable. That way if it becomes difficult or impossible to get the item at some point in the future I will not be without. The plan is flawed however as I am generally careful with my things and also buy decent quality gear which does not wear out so I end up with multiple unused duplicates I am loathe to part with. Every so often I bite the bullet and try to have a clearout.

11. phatch

phatch Loaded Pockets

I've done it with a few knives. BM 701 and Vex. Both knives that I want a spare for when they are discontinued. My love for the 701 faded a few years back and I sold off the three that I had at that time for prices close to new as they are still very popular even now.

12. Sharpdogs

Sharpdogs Uber Prepared

I have done it with a few knives. Pretty soon I had a knife store :) Seriously though I have done it with a few knives or I would at least buy the big brother or little brother, like I did with the Benchmade Griptillians. I am desperately looking for a back up or two to my Simonich Bitteroot.

13. boredom

boredom Empty Pockets

Haha I can only agree with Chux's Post.. :iagree:
    Bad part is I haven't actually gotten to the point
    of being able to part with anything yet.. :-X

14. aj1985

aj1985 Empty Pockets

Back ups sometimes are a very good thing. I have only bought backups for a Spyderco DODO and I honestly do love that knife. I wish I could buy more back ups for other knives, but realize that I don't believe I will ever really need a back up unless I lose the knife, and by that time something better will eventually come along. Spydies are a different breed though, because most old Spydies do go up in value quite a bit so back-ups are a bit of an investment as well.

take care

aj

15. Blackhat

Blackhat Empty Pockets

I've only bought backups twice. Once was on Spyderco Delicas (wasn't sure how the original plastic pocket clip would hold up), and then when Sak brought out the OHT I had to have a backup on that. I consider all the SAK Classics I have not to be "backups" in your sense of the word since they all have different color scales.

16. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

I only buy backups when a model is discontinued. Hence, I have 3 Dodos, 4 Manixes, and 2 Yojimbos. Having duplicate knives is boring to me, so I try to minimize that.

17. Styerman

Styerman Empty Pockets

Always backups , seldom duplicates .

Chris

18. jackknife

jackknife Loaded Pockets

I used to do the back-up think alot more, but I've calmed down some in my old age. Since I use only pretty mainstream production stuff, I just have one of everything. The few exeptions are things I find just so handy or unique, I want to make sure if they are not available then I have a spare one. Like I have a couple spare Christy knives put away because its such a handy little thing, and its such a small one family company, they could be gone tomarrow. Hence a coupke spare ones with spare replacement blades.

19. bubbaskyjacker

bubbaskyjacker Loaded Pockets

i have 3 kershaw chubbys, 2 griptillians, 2 atwood gasbabies and som others. you always need a backe up. murphys law. if you have a favorite knife you probably will loose it. and one you dont like somuch will be with you forever. its just how it works with me. i back up my backups

20. Tikigod

Tikigod Empty Pockets

No duplicates. There are too many other toys that I want to buy dups...