1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Back Up Power Supply for Phones and IPad 2

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by Soup dragon, May 29, 2012.

1. Soup dragon

Soup dragon Loaded Pockets

I have been carrying a Powermonkey with solar panel charger and adaptors plus a cigarette lighter adaptor to charge my Phone and IPods. Unfortunately it does not have enough juice to charge my IPad 2.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a small back up power solution?

2. Gnarly
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

On CPF: cottonpickers folding solar panel.

greyhound352 likes this.
  3. Jbum

Jbum Loaded Pockets

Here is what I use can charge my Droid 4 to 5 times. And they make 1 for Ipad and Iphone.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

gerrygprs likes this.
  4. dizzie56

dizzie56 Loaded Pockets

5. Bogwan

Bogwan Loaded Pockets

I purchased two of these Energizer XP4001 Universal Rechargeable Power Packs from Target for $26 each on clearance about a month ago and they do a good job of recharging my iPod and HTC cell phone. Don't have an iPad so I don't know if it has enough capacity to charge one. They have an output of 4000 mAh each.

6. Gryffin
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gryffin Loaded Pockets

The iPad has a HUGE battery compared to most smartphones. You need an external battery in a whole 'nuther class if you want to recharge one. New Trent has a 11000mAh pack that'll provide a full charge.

veeks62 likes this.
  7. veeks62

veeks62 Loaded Pockets

I could easily fully charge my iPad 2 with the New Trent iCruiser 11000mAh. Not to mention charging my iPhone 4S 2-3 times with one charge. A different story with the new iPad though, which takes twice as long as the iPad 2 to charge. Still, a good backup for when you need it.

[​IMG]

8. Soup dragon

Thanks for all the suggestions folks. Will do some more research and see what I can find that will work for me. Not sure I want to include too large an item in my work carry to backup my IPad 2 power.

9. noid1037

noid1037 Empty Pockets

I use a ZAGG SPARQ and really like it. I carry it with my Maxipedition Lunada, just monitor to make sure its charged and ready to go.... Have had it over a year and used it many times. Not only a backup power but also will charge the devices I use, iPad and Droid X. My wife sometimes takes it on trips to charge her iPhone.... would tell anyone to buy one and use it. Good feature of the device is two USB ports and a power check button.

10. World in Transition

World in Transition Loaded Pockets

The Powermonky Extreme is the BUSINESS - 15 hrs of direct sunlight for a full charge, will charge an iPhone 6 times or an iPad twice - panel will charge an iPhone direct in around 3 hours. Shockproof, dust proof and waterproof. I've had mine for over a year and it's rock solid, one of my favorite pieces of kit!

https://powertraveller.com/iwantsome/arrivingsoon/000382/

My first post btw, great to get involved!

kye4some and Soup dragon like this.
  11. Soup dragon

Thanks Fredex and welcome to EDCF

12. Soup dragon

This is my current setup. I like the small size and the mutliple charger tips and cigaretter lighter. The coiling lead is a nice idea but they do not always recoil and I have manged to break the cable wire on one but got a replacement easily enough.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. alukardfe

alukardfe Loaded Pockets

go to amazon search for external battery,battery exteder or something like that.
    you can get something at every price point but the sweet spot is 75$

14. GEC

GEC Loaded Pockets

For back:up I charge both my Andriod phone and tablet with a JOOS solar charger. I have used it more now when I go camping or hiking to charge my phone.

15. Rocket1

Rocket1 Loaded Pockets

I won a Mili Power Angle last year and I think it works well. I don't let my iphone die but I think it would give me half a charge if it dies. They have other options that will work on several different devices.

16. mace85

mace85 Loaded Pockets

I will second the Zagg Sparq 2.0. Unless you need it in a hurry don't pay full price for one though. They usually go 50% off every few months on Zaggs website. I am also a fan of their ear buds too.

17. forte

forte Loaded Pockets

I use a Solar JOOS and a Bootstrap Solar Chi-Qoo. JOOS for outdoors and Chi-Qoo for daily use.

18. tso

tso Loaded Pockets

The trick with charging ipads or anything similar is to get a charger that can output 1000mah or more via USB.

Note tho that they may need to be specifically ipad compatible, as Apple have some fairly odd handshaking going on between device and charger before anything about 500mah is attempted. And that is barely enough to charge it while sitting perfectly idle.

19. Rabidfox

Rabidfox Loaded Pockets

Newtrent iCruiser and iCruiser HD will do the iPad2 completely. I use the iCruiser and have the HD in the mail...awesome products. Only complaint is I can't charge via USB and the power level indicator isnt the greatest.