1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Back to basics EDC core

Discussion in 'Show us pics of your EDC!' started by Crocodilo, Aug 23, 2008.

1. Crocodilo

Crocodilo Loaded Pockets

Back to basics, regarding my EDC core. These are some of my favorite items, and the ones that remained more often in the rotation scheme of things, so for the last weeks I've been getting by just with these. Haven't really been missing the heavier flashlights and multitools, but these ones have been seeing daily use (except the wheelgun, of course).

A major consideration in choosing was, besides performance, reliablity and versatility, speed of use. If an item isn't in my pocket, ready to be easily deployed and activated, I tend not to use it. So, I fit these as follows:

1. Spyderco Endura 4 Wave: right front pocket
    2. Victorinox Soldier: watch pocket
    3. Surefire L1: left front pocket
    4. S&W snubbie .357: IWB with clip, either appendix or 3 o'clock carry (position may vary a bit adjusting to coat or polo shirt).

Nothing else goes in these pockets. Cell phone, wallet, keys, glasses, and all the extra stuff go in a shoulder slung bag or pouch.

Here are pics:

Attached Files:

2. bigfoot

bigfoot Loaded Pockets

Nice and simple setup. :)

How do you like the revolver for concealed carry? Some sort of S&W small frame is on my short list.

3. Crocodilo

Crocodilo Loaded Pockets

Well, even being a "small frame", it isn't as small as I'd like... been thinking of getting a handle replacement, a shorter one made of wood, to make the butt stick out less and stop the material from grabbing the clothes. As it is, it's great for shooting, but not that great for carrying IWB.

It dazzles me how some people can pocket carry this gun. I don't wear slacks, only jeans, but even if I did, this would be a huge bulge in my pocket...

These are the reasons why I carry this mostly in a S&W fanny pack. I know lots of people tend to dislike that carry method, but where I live fanny packs are very common and not at all associated with carrying a gun.

For some weeks now I've had the clip screwed to the gun, and that does indeed make for a good carry, as long as I'm not gonna jump and run around much. It does force me to wear an undershirt to protect from skin and sweat contact, and I need longer polos, but it is very fast and simple to position the gun in a comfy place around my waist.

My other gun isn't an option for CCW, a full sized wondernine, but I really think it would be almost impossible to carry without a dedicated holster and a proper belt, and even then, it's size would be a problem.

What I really wouldn't carry is one of the modern lightweight revolvers. From what I've read, shootability with full loads is terrible, and if I'm carrying a five shooter, I might as well make sure that I can make them all count!

4. bigfoot

bigfoot Loaded Pockets

Thank you very much for the info! Yeah, over here you see a fanny pack and there is good chance they are packing heat. Those Wilderness Tactical "safepacker" holsters are an interesting twist.

5. dovk0802

dovk0802 Loaded Pockets

Crocodilo, some CCW thoughts. I'd tell you that for CCW a shorter polo shirt is better (most polos are unisex which is longer to make the women happy). It seems counterintuitive, but the longer shirt is more likely to print and there is more material to get hung up on. Your shirt should fall just bellow the belt when your arms are in a neutral position. The downside is the increased chance of flashing when you raise your arms. The remedy for this is to train yourself to reach for things with the off hand. Another trick is to wear a T-shirt pulled out. This allows the outer layer to slide over the T-shirt, reducing printing. The down side here is that you wind up wearing three layers: the two top plus the one next to you for sweat & chaffing. A-style tanks are good picks as well as some running shirts. I recomend wearing a proper pistol belt no matter what your carrying. I don't know what's available for the .357 Smiths but, when I carried an airweight centenial (with standard .38spl) I used a pocket holster or folded in a small magazine, pamphlet, or piece of cardboard. The other thing is that I too keep my wallet in my bag except, when I carry I keep it in my pocket to keep my ID with me, no matter what. Try some things, then practice. Good luck.

6. Crocodilo

Crocodilo Loaded Pockets

dovk0802, many thanks for you advices, I will definitely look into them. Lately I've been loosing weight and "downsizing" my jeans, so it is a good time to revise my CCW options and setup.

7. DetroitMatt

DetroitMatt Empty Pockets

Very nice setup! Very similar to what I carry, add an Atwood multi-tool or two. I'm a big fan of the snub revolver. I have a S&W also, but an "Airweight" model in .38 special + P. You're right in saying that they are not comfortable to shoot, but if you're willing to put the practice in and carry and use the right ammo, it makes for a great CCW. If .357 is your choice of caliber, then I think you made the right decision. The .357 in the even lighter Scandium / Titanium Airlite versions are just silly. Practically un-shootable.

All in all, GREAT SETUP!

8. Sean H

Sean H Empty Pockets

Crocodillo, could you tell me what the laws are regarding firearm posession and CC in Portugal. The reason I'm asking is that I'm considering relocating there with my family. :censored: cost of living in the UK, and petty knife and gun laws are killing me.

9. Crocodilo

Crocodilo Loaded Pockets

Quick run down: you have to apply for a CCW permit, with plausible justification to do that (like owning a shop, carrying large sums of money). Maximum calibers for civilians are 6,35 for pistols or .32 for revolvers. Knives and folders are allowed up to 10 cm blades, no autos or balis. Larger blades need to be activity related (fishing, hunting, etc.). No expandible batons. No specifically offensive weapons. Exceptions have to be justified. Heavy restrictions on pepper spray and tazers.

Full law is Lei 5/2006 23FEB.

Armed Forces personnel have less limitations, that's why I carry a .357.

10. dl52163

dl52163 Loaded Pockets

Check with your state (in the USA) as to what you can carry with a permit. I will research Georgia (USA) and post information later on this.