1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Back pack for EDC and business meetings

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by giant1, Jun 17, 2008.

1. giant1

giant1 Loaded Pockets

Hi all

I'm new to this forum but have been lurking and really like all the great info on here. I found my way to this forum because I'm looking for a back pack that will be my EDC. I want it to double up for business as well as weekends.

Currently I have a great computer bag which really meets my needs during the week but I don't want to use it during the weekend. So I want a compromise which will cover work as well as play without me having to swap stuff out.

I do not carry a laptop.

So my criteria are:

- Section for paperwork (legal letter or A4 size)
    - lots and lots of organisational pockets (I currently use a Maxpedition neat freak for all my nick nacks and tools which sits inside my computer bag, I want to empty this out into the new bag)
    - Not too big
    - Molle type attachments to allow for expansion
    - A little room for say a jumper etc on weekends

I could almost get away with the neat freak on weekends but I just don't feel comfortable carrying something that resembles a man purse (Just put it down to my age ;D) Versipacks are also out for the same reason.

I have been looking at the Malaga and thinking that it might be a good option, but I don't know how comfortable the single shoulder strap would be. What other packs should I be looking at that would do the job 7 days a week?

I look forward to reading everyone's suggestions.

Thanks in advance

2. parnass

parnass Loaded Pockets

:welcome: Welcome to EDC Forums, giant1.

3. Sharpdogs

Sharpdogs Uber Prepared

I squeeze my laptop and ton of other stuff into a Pygmy Falcon II backpack. It's heavy but very comfortable to carry. If you want carry legal size paperwork I would move up a size to the Condor II. The Vulture II would probably be overkill, but it you are like me you quickly fill it with more stuff. Here's a picture of the Condor II.

Edited for content by administrator
    :pt:

Attached Files:

4. qcicustodes

qcicustodes Empty Pockets

I would look at Trager Bags, they have ones that convert from backpack to briefcase configuration, a little more office-friendly if thats what you need, but comfortable enough in backpack mode for walking with

I've got one I've been happy with for a long time, and my father and sister use them as well.

5. fshalor

fshalor Loaded Pockets

I'm playing with an Arc'teryx Blade 21. No Molle though, but fits most of your other requirements.

Visual: Clean black. No gaudyness. Stays Shockingly close to the body.

Carry:
    Backpack Straps are wonderful, good padding. I *almost* wish I had the option of shoulder strap attachment for messenger-bag style carry.

Gear: From bottom to top. Bottom being the pad against your back, bag laying flat on the desk.
    -Macbook Pro (15.4"), In neoprene case, so it doesn't bounce (only con I found.) Papers I'm working on and a legal pad sit above the laptop.
    -pwr adapter. Hardshell, extra food. Can slide in a legal pad or book. My hardshell could cause balance issues.
    -Small tool pack in organizer (from county comm), VX-5R. Large phillips screwdriver.
    -sypderco cara-cara, E1L frankenlight, Leatherman Blast and Wave, Pens, pencils, sharpies. thumb drive, notepad, spare gloves, teflon and electrical tape.

Side pouch (zips closed at "side" of the others, under the top carry handle): first aid supplies.

Overall, I've been amazed at how much stuff I carry daily in this. One thing that surprised me: my other backpack was a Kelty Redtail 1800. It is bulkier and feels heavier without my tools or radio. And if I take the laptop out (I leave it at home sometimes), the Kelty goes out of balance and has to be repacked. The Arc'Teryx just gets a bit lighter.

If it came in a "molle" version with a pair of load straps to stabilize molle attachments, it'd be perfect.

6. normshapiro

normshapiro Loaded Pockets

I think legal size paper might be too long for a Malaga. Mine easily carries 8 1/2 X 11 inch paper in one of those cheap plastic containers for paper and just barely zips closed. You can attach back pack straps (from Spec-Ops or Blackhawk) to the O-rings on the Malaga and then have a great backpack. The only thing you might want to add would be a mini rolypoly for a water bottle, etc. You will find plenty of pouches, compartments, etc to handly all the things you carry in your NeatFreak.

7. Blades

Blades Loaded Pockets

Giant1- welcome to EDCF!!

What about a Camelbak "Talon","ST-5",or "Urbanrover"?
    Then there is a Tactical Tailor "Enhanced Day Pack", or a Diamondback Tactical "Three Day Assault" pack??
    All just the right size for daily carry. A few have molle, one is on sale(DBT).
    Plenty of choices out there. Let us know what you decide.

www.camelbak.com
    www.tacticaltailor.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=294
    www.diamondbacktactical.com/Three-Day-Assault-Pack-w-Hydration-Sleeve-Sale-on-CYT-ACU-P856C322.aspx

Jason

8. giant1

giant1 Loaded Pockets

Thanks for your suggestion. This one looks very good and it might be the one I'm looking for.

Any chance of posting pictures of the inside and around the bag.

How many internal pockets does it have?

Could I throw my neat freak in there if I wanted to?

Thanks again for the great info.