1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Baby carriers, anyone?

Discussion in 'Other Carrying Devices' started by 313, Jan 27, 2016.

1. 313

313 Uber Prepared

Come spring, I intend to take my baby daughter (4 mo old now) along to my regular walks in the local woods. I'd appreciate some suggestions on what's out there besides the obvious stuff on market shelves.. Both backpack and chest-mounted rigs, as I probably will get one of both.

So what do you guys like? The chest rig would be especially interesting since my trips are of a frequent but short kind, so no need for a full pack. Would like one that fits well with a light daypack or shoulder bag and a pocket or two would be a plus.

Fire away, pics encouraged of course!

T.H.Cone likes this.
  2. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

Our boys were regularly carried in backpack style carriers from a very early age, though from about a month old, the wife had them outside "hiking" in a papoose (front) styler carrier. Our experience is that the front ones are fine until the weight becomes an issue; which will probably happen before you imagine.

Plus, when the kid is out front, they are somewhat less protected in a fall.

For these reasons, rear carriers quickly became our norm. We have a Kelty that is quite large with plenty of storage and a stripped down REI model. Both have their place, even if you only have one kid.

If I had to get just one, I'd get the bells and whistles setup as it is always better to have storage than not.

The boy rode in those until they were pretty big- like maybe forty pounds- but by then, the carrier was only really used to get them back to the house or truck after they hiked their little hearts out.

Which brings me to...
    By about 9 or ten months, they wanted to be out of the carrier "walking" on their own. I used quotes because they couldn't hardly walk on their own and I cover untold miles hunched over holding their hands while their little feet were on mine. If you are an outdoor family, your trips will be anything but short once they are out of the carrier. A 100 yards will take a long time.

Best of luck to you. You are going to have a the time of your life. Hopefully, this sort of indoctrination will produce another avid outdoor person.

HeavyHauler and 313 like this.
  3. FeeSimpleAbsolute

FeeSimpleAbsolute Loaded Pockets

I have no helpful answers, as we did not do enough hiking with my son when he was that age (we've started making up for it, and he loves it, but he's 3 and can walk himself). But I wanted to say that this is a really timely topic in the forum.

T.H.Cone likes this.
  4. T.H.Cone

Really? Anything you want to announce?

Cheeser likes this.
  5. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I for one really like Gisele Bündchen but I don't think we are supposed to call them Baby Carriers these days either?:cool:

6. Longbow_06

Longbow_06 Banned

We used a Kelty hiking pack. Rather expensive, but I want to say it went up to 50 pounds.
    Dan liked it, he slept a lot in it.

alces and T.H.Cone like this.
  7. FeeSimpleAbsolute

FeeSimpleAbsolute Loaded Pockets

Haha, not for me, but for eng1nerd and also Ben Rubinstein.

8. Ben Rubinstein

There's a tactical baby carrier around somewhere. More molle than baby. :D

My wife uses a sling rather than a carrier, I can't use it due to walking with a stick and having bad balance :(

T.H.Cone and alces like this.
  9. 313

313 Uber Prepared

@T.H. Cone, thanks for the reply. Those were good points to consider. Local store has Osprey POCO packs on sale, gonna check them out.

M

T.H.Cone likes this.
  10. T.H.Cone

My pleasure. While I don't own that pack, there are osprey packs in the house, so I'm sure it is well made and will offer years of enjoyment. Few things are more enjoyable than watching a little one explore the outdoors.

11. Barchack

Barchack Loaded Pockets

I had a Baby Bjorn and the Ergo. My wife LOVED the ergo and used it a ton. She said it was easier on her back and it's also supposed to be better for the wee one's hips than the Bjorn. I used the Bjorn when the kids were very little. It supports the head well, and as the kids grow you can turn them around to look out. Front carriers are nice when it's cold because you can wrap a jacket partially around the kid.
    I also have a Kelty backpack style carrier that I used for any long hikes once the kids got older. This was WAY more comfortable for me and for my son.
    Now my son is 3. He walks most times, but if I'm waking along the road or just need to keep him wrangled (focusing on dog training, etc) he prefers to stand in one of my other bags. He will do this for miles and he absolutely loves it.
    [​IMG]

12. 313

313 Uber Prepared

Thanks Barhack, the Baby Björn looks interesting. Back carry seems a litte low though, I'd like that the baby's head be above my shoulders for better view. Front carry looks good. That'd definitely something to consider. Is the Ergo you mentioned a brand or a model?

M

T.H.Cone likes this.
  13. Hankthetank75

Hankthetank75 Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

GoBliNuke, HeavyHauler, ran23 and 3 others like this.
  14. Barchack

Barchack Loaded Pockets

alces
    It's the Ergobaby brand carrier.

T.H.Cone and alces like this.
  15. Grappler

Grappler Loaded Pockets

If you feel the need to scratch the tacticool itch there is the Mission Critical Baby carrier. Yeager has a pretty decent overview on his youtube page.

alces likes this.
  16. wrath0r
    • In Omnia Paratus

wrath0r EDC Junkie!!!

Which is the EDC item - the baby carrier or the carried baby?

alces likes this.
  17. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

We tried everything with our large, freakishly strong and ridiculously squirmy children. The Ergo is the way to go. Because duct taping your baby is illegal.

alces, Barchack and Mumbojumboo like this.
  18. Rotwang

Rotwang Loaded Pockets

Also +1 for the Ergo. Always loved to carry the kids in it when they were small.
    However, the first few month we used the Bondolino from Hoppediz. It was better suited for the smaller babies

19. lancehill

lancehill Loaded Pockets

We have the Ergo 360 for our 11 week old and it's worked out well. Highly recommend the Ergo. We also have a Kelty backpack but that will be for when he gets to be a bit bigger.

20. 313

313 Uber Prepared

Thanks for the suggestion. I've also pretty much settled on the Ergo 360 at first and then later a backpack carrier.