1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Baby Carrier

Discussion in 'Other Carrying Devices' started by Wstan, Oct 9, 2010.

1. Wstan

Wstan Loaded Pockets

Expecting my first in January and am looking for the best way to carry him about without the stroller. I've seen the backpack type carriers and the chest carriers and I'm leaning toward the latter (he'll have just got here and I want to see him). I'd like the option to have him face inward or outward if such a creature exists and leave a least one hand free for accessing diaper bag (likely a messenger type or buttpack on a belt that I can rotate forward). Starting the college fund so cost is now a big issue too. Lastly, most things seem to be made "mom sized" (e.g., 5'3") and this needs to be "dad sized" (6', 48" chest). Any recommendations anyone would care to share?

2. Brewtality

Brewtality Empty Pockets

My wife and I just welcomed our first in May.

The carrier that I like the most is the Mei Tai. http://www.meitaibaby.com/

I got one in all black, and I don't feel like such a tool when I am wearing it.

3. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

Don't ever put the baby in a carrier facing away from you, it can be very bad for the little one's neck. You can consider it once s/he can support his/her own head well, but even then it's always better to have the baby face you. If nothing else, it will make the baby feel more secure.

For the best bang-for-the-buck and one-size-fits-all solution, get a baby sling. It's cheap, simple, secure and very versatile. Just make sure that it's long enough to fit you and it will fit both of you just as well. There's a bit more of a learning curve to using it than a carrier, but you'll get the hang of it after a couple of trials. For the first try or two, do it together for extra security. But a sling is really easy to use once you get used to tying it. I've only used one for chest carrying, but I've seen people use them on the back as well. I highly recommend buying one even if you do get a carrier as well.

As for carriers, with our first one, we had an Ergo carrier. It's a chest carrier mostly, but can be used on the back as well. It was good, but I hear it's been replaced by some other make & model nowadays. Probably lots of similar things out there, so look around and ask other moms and dads in your neighborhood (might find a used one this way). A carrier is a little easier to use than a sling, and faster to get yourself and the baby into (and out of). But it's more expensive and the belt system will need constant adjusting to different users. And unlike a sling, you can't really use it for anything else. Carrier will be better when the baby grows and becomes heavier, but for the first year or two, a sling will be better. At least that has been my experience.

Both can be used in a way that will leave both of your hands free, but if you have to jump around or something, it's a good idea to use one hand for supporting the wee one's head.

4. mike1031

mike1031 Loaded Pockets

Congrats!!! We use the ergobaby

http://www.ergobabycarrier.com/

Best feature is that you can carry it front facing, have it on your hip or when the child gets older...on the back.

5. Sharpdogs

Sharpdogs Uber Prepared

My little guy did not like the front carriers. We recently picked up one of the backpack carriers and we took him for a 2 mile walk last night. He loved it and I found the pack very comfortable. He is eleven months now and we tried the front carrier when he was much younger. The brand of the backpack carrier is Baby Trend. We picked it up for $5 NIB at a garage sale.

6. Wstan

Wstan Loaded Pockets

The Ergo w/infant insert looks just like what I was thinking of. Thanks.

7. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Loaded Pockets

My son was born in April and I use a BabyBjorn Original Baby Carier when we don't want to use a stroller. I'm 6'2", 275 pounds and it fits me well. Plus it does give you the face-in/face-out option.

8. derangboy

derangboy Loaded Pockets

I've been very happy with the Baby Bjorn. Picked up a very nice one used for $30. Holds baby face in or out nicely, but must be adjusted before you put it on. I'm not as big as you (5'9" - 42"), but I have a lot of strap left.

I have some troubles using the sling as she seems to be more fidgity in it (4 months old now).

9. jbergenudd

jbergenudd Empty Pockets

baby Björn is a good carrier (Swedish design btw)

comfortable, secure and adjustable...

10. terry221984

terry221984 Loaded Pockets

+1 for baby bjorn can shift the weight arond nicely

11. Mike V

Mike V Loaded Pockets

12. Wstan

Wstan Loaded Pockets

So many choices! A lot look like basically the same design. So far, I'm partial to the one that had an infant-specific insert that could later be removed as the little fellow grows.

13. Plinko

Plinko Empty Pockets

14. casamance

casamance Loaded Pockets

Another thumbs up for Baby Bjorn. High-quality stuff.

15. Death and Taxes

Death and Taxes Empty Pockets

I looked at every type I could find and bought several different models. The Baby Bjorn was the best of the bunch.

16. MSCantrell

MSCantrell Loaded Pockets

We have a Bjorn and an Ergo.
    With both our kids, we started out with the Bjorn and then switched.

The Bjorn has a couple of big points to recommend it for newborns- the back comes higher up to hold the head, and (you'll discover this is a big deal) you can lay the baby down and unsnap it without waking him up. This may not be true for everybody, but walking around in the carrier put both my babies to sleep every single time. Then you sneak over to the crib, you bend over so he's still attached but he's laying on his back, and you unhook the pouch. The straps stay on you, the pouch stays under him, and he stays asleep. Awesome! Can't do that with slings, sarongs, or the Ergo.

When they get bigger, the Ergo is better. My boy was almost 30 lbs at 6 months- a real hoss. You want that much weight on your back, not your front! In addition, with either carrier you get both hands free, but both hands free is much more useful without a big load in the way of whatever you're doing. Try cutting vegetables with the baby on your front- not a chance. On your back? No problem.

If I couldn't afford both, I'd get the Ergo. I'd rather have something that's not so hot for 4 months, then is great for a year than something that's great for four months and unusable after that.

Hope that helps (and congratulations, btw!).

Almost forgot about size. Both of these are big enough for me, at 6'1" and 44" chest.

17. ATXzombie

ATXzombie Loaded Pockets

wow i just carried the kid.

18. Heavy_Hog

Heavy_Hog Loaded Pockets

+1

I have 6 kids and the last few were carried in one of these.

We just bought one for my brother in law who just had his first. He had another carrier that someone else had bought him but he and his wife prefer the ergo.

He is 6'3" and she is something like 5'6"

19. mgregg85

mgregg85 Empty Pockets

I have to say I'm surprised that someone like Maxpedition hasn't come out with some kind of tactical baby carrier with MOLLE webbing and magazine pouches. I'm betting they would sell quite a few.

My fiance and I just had our first kid, Leo, 3 days ago and I think I might have to try one of those slings. They seem like the most comfortable option.