1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Awkward moments while CCW

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by GatorMedic, Jul 1, 2014.

1. GatorMedic

GatorMedic Loaded Pockets

Just starting to CCW more often now that I've gotten a Shield. With that comes awkward moments/issues like when hugging people. Today I gave a friend a hug and she put her arm around my waist right where my gun was holstered. She asked what it was, and when I told her she asked if I intended to shoot everybody. It was said in jest but nevertheless a dumb comment

2. BubbaFett
    • In Omnia Paratus

BubbaFett Loaded Pockets

There's a strategy to stuff like that, you gotta go low first so they go high. Don't let your middles touch (unless it's a GOOD friend). Occasionally my wife will put her arm around my waist walking around town, a couple of times she kinda jumped when she realized what she was touching but I just laugh and reassure her that it's not gonna go off in my pants just because she bumps it (the gun).

collierar, jonny8642, BigRob and 13 others like this.
  3. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

Tell them its your heart monitor :) Works every time.

Quantum, swany66675, T.H.Cone and 5 others like this.
  4. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

Just laugh and tell her your happy to see her :D

5. BubbaFett
    • In Omnia Paratus

BubbaFett Loaded Pockets

See I was worried about posting that, I didn't mean it to sound dirty but I felt I had to clarify. Leave it to you to egg it on :p

6. GatorMedic

I naturally go high when I hug other girls because I'm almost always taller, although when I hug guys I do both randomly. And I hug like a normal person, not the whole awkwardness like two guys that want to hug each other but don't cause they think some weird societal association with homosexuality based on a stupid hug crap so they don't try to actually touch much. If I'm hugging you then we're obviously going to touch; it comes with the territory. I guess either I'll have to adjust or they will all just get used to me carrying now. I've never CCW when on a date or with someone I might be getting with; that would just open a billion more cans of worms. Guess I'll have to figure out something for that as well eventually.

swany66675, SThr, snaplok and 3 others like this.
  7. GatorMedic

I'm a paramedic; I have a lot of EMS friends. If I said that, then I'd get a million questions about what's abnormal with my heart, do I have some kind of funky rhythm, can they hook me up to the EKG to see for themselves, what medication am I taking for it, etc. I've seen it firsthand on a few of my friends lol. But they actually did have heart problems (and funky rhythms)

kertap75 and scbubba like this.
  8. BubbaFett
    • In Omnia Paratus

BubbaFett Loaded Pockets

Lol! I guess it did not take much adjustment for me since I'm not much of a hugger, but I certainly didn't mean to imply that hugging is gay. I'm tall too, but I don't find it weird to go low. Girls are typically just as happy to squeeze high as low in my experience, and guys generally won't go low enough to encounter a gun IMO. I just meant don't touch hips, mainly because I carry appendix a lot. No one's ever thought it odd that I could tell.

As far as dating, I can't help you. I got snapped up way before I started carrying. Gotta be a way to find out if a person is cool with firearms without blurting out that you have one on you right now.

Good luck!

9. GatorMedic

Wasn't saying you implied that at all; just referencing the awkward hugs that result from that thinking. I've never appendix carried yet though. I am a hugger so I'll try to remember to go low when I'm carrying

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brtsmpsn and scbubba like this.
  10. BubbaFett
    • In Omnia Paratus

BubbaFett Loaded Pockets

I actually bought the Shield just to feel a little safer carrying appendix (safety). I know it's controversial or whatever I just have a lot more peace of mind about concealment when I can easily see if my shirt flaps up or whatnot. I bought a Raven Concealment Vanguard 2 to have that option for my Glock too, but it normally rides IWB at 4:30 when I carry it.

GatorMedic, Brtsmpsn and scbubba like this.
  11. BubbaFett
    • In Omnia Paratus

BubbaFett Loaded Pockets

@GatorMedic, not to get too far afield but if you have not stumbled upon it there is a channel on YouTube called faliaphotography, it gives a female perspective on concealed carry and other related issues. Not all of her videos (perhaps most) are pertinent to me but I have found her reviews to be very thorough.

To bring it back to awkward moments I was sort of working on a term paper and posting to distract myself and totally missed that you are female until a minute ago. Good thing I did not say anything too embarrassing (I hope).

12. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

If he hadn't, I would have. :D

T.H.Cone, Quantum, Roger and 3 others like this.
  13. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

I don't think I know anyone who would have any idea what one looks like. I have said in the past "I don't want to talk about it." And that was the end of that. :)
    I had thought about calling it a glucose meter but with Kentucky being one of the highest populations of diabetics in the US I changed my mind. I figured someone would start asking questions I couldn't answer. ;)

GatorMedic, scbubba and Brtsmpsn like this.
  14. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

I have the awkward "touching of my pistol" more often by accident, like when someone goes to pat me on the back while being next to me. I carry at 3:00 for this reason and carry a short gripped pistol so it doesn't stick out too far. (I modify/adjust all my holsters to give as much forward cant as they can too)
    Between that, and having my shirt tucked in correctly, and I've still had a couple of close calls but no one ever said anything. :)

15. GatorMedic

I love her YouTube videos and website! She's helped me make a few purchase decisions like the CCW compression shorts I just bought (coincidentally was wearing when the hug took place lol) and also a PJ holster I'm still waiting on. Part of the reason I finally bought a Shield too since I saw how easily she concealed hers. In fact I just recommended her reviews to another member on here yesterday.

I figured you thought I was a guy when you said guys don't go low enough to touch on the waist lol. They might not with other guys but they do with girls

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

No offense, but if you hug folks that often; perhaps you chose either the wrong gun or carry method.

vegassprky and Brtsmpsn like this.
  17. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

When it comes to hugging, I try to go low with my right arm and high with my left arm. (I carry at about 4:30 on my right hip.) That doesn't always work and occasionally I have had someone bump my pistol in the middle of a hug. No one has ever said anything, though. My guess is that they assume it's a cell phone case or something similar.

GatorMedic and vegassprky like this.
  18. GatorMedic

Technically I didn't start this thread; I posted the original post in the "Awkward..." thread in the General section. Apparently the mods decided to spin off its own thread in the Handgun section starting with my post, which is a cool idea. So with that in mind, why doesn't this thread stick to the "Awkward moments while CCW" instead of several pages on a tangent about right to carry, by whom, and where.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Barchack and BubbaFett like this.
  19. BubbaFett
    • In Omnia Paratus

BubbaFett Loaded Pockets

...but she did bring up hugging first, haha.

If I can share an AWESOME moment while CCW, I am still happy I got to carry into the state capitol--even got a "VIP" entrance, no metal detector. Only bad thing was I wanted to show off my Texas pride on my Glock, but I figured I better not.

Lou_G, scbubba, vegassprky and 2 others like this.
  20. Stinger

Stinger Banned

If you’re (still) interested I’ll be glad to share the rules of concealed carry with you:

(1) Always bend forward with the knee on your weapon side; and, twist your strong shoulder slightly forward at the same time when you do.

(2) Always reach upward with the arm opposite your weapon side; and, once again, slightly twist your extended shoulder into the reach.

(3) Always place your arms underneath the outstretched arms of anyone who wants to hug you. Next, take one small step to the rear on your weapon side, and fade your weapon away from the hugger's outstretched hands. Then, stretch out your neck and lean your head forward in order to hug the other person on the cheek.

(4) Always crook your arm over your pistol whenever you walk into the wind; or else slightly tuck your gun hand into your, 'strong side' pocket.

(5) Always walk up to or talk with other people from just off their vertical body centerline – more or less at a 3/4 angle – preferably with your, 'strong side' kept away from them.

(6) Don't sit with your back to the audience; (as at a lunch counter) and don’t stand with your back to the audience, either. Whenever you stand on line, step slightly out of the line in order not to present your weapon to the person standing immediately behind you.

(7) Rather than do something stupid, like a spontaneous or uncalled for, 'weapon check', make sure to always use a proper gun belt AND holster. If, for some unusual reason, you need to do a, 'weapon check' then press your beltline with your elbow or forearm (as if you were inserting a hand into your pocket) instead of directly patting the weapon with your gun hand.

(8) Carry at least one extra magazine (or reload), AND a cell phone with an internal camera! Oftentimes a cell phone and camera will, 'save the day' for you much better than a pistol ever might.

(9) Always make an effort to, ‘dress around the gun’. Me? I’m usually unbloused around the waist; and I tend to wear loose, plaid, or printed shirts that are actually one size too large.

(10) And, most important of all, always remember to smile frequently, and to carry your shoulders in a relaxed fashion. If you don’t look or move armed then people will tend to assume that you’re not. ;)

Last edited by Stinger, Sep 21, 2014