1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Awkward moments or negative responses from people while using your EDC

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by Kataklysmic, Apr 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PBJS II

PBJS II Loaded Pockets

You simply HAVE to love East Texas.

I have never even got :rolleyes: about a knife. My EDC primary knife is a "tactical" razor blade knife

[​IMG]

But I have been known to flick open and use SOG Twitch for this or that and nobody bats an eyelash.

I do get :rolleyes: about flashlights from time to time but it's more related to what they cost over anything else. I get a fair amount of :woohoo: about how bright they are.

2. Torpedo Vegas

Torpedo Vegas Loaded Pockets

I watche The Hangover and it had a part in it that reminded me of this thread :)

Phil: You're not really wearin that are you?
    Alan: Wearing what?
    Phil: The man purse. You're actually gonna wear that or are you guys just messing with me?
    Alan: It's where I keep all my things. I get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a man purse, it's called a sachel. Indiana Jones wears one
    Phil: So does Joy Behar.

If you want to hear the clip and see a picture do a Google search for the hangover man purse sound bite :) Be warned though that I did edit out one word from the quote

3. James In Toronto

James In Toronto Loaded Pockets

What Dr. Jones carried is called a "musette bag."

4. James In Toronto

James In Toronto Loaded Pockets

By the way, I'm going to bypass the bad reactions to EDC knives and mention that I can recall two "You carry a flashlight? You're weird!" reactions. Both were during power failures.

Ethan459625 likes this.
  5. wilrader

wilrader Empty Pockets

Since I've been EDCing a knife, I've gotten a number of comments on it. First was at the university when someone asked if I had a knife on me. He called me a "good boyscout", which I laughed at. Later in that same class we were doing a project in the dark and I needed to write something down so I pulled out my flashlight. I heard several comments from the other tables, such as "What?! He has a light!", but the best comment was from the guy who asked for the knife earlier: "What, are you going camping after this class?!".

Most of my extended family know I carry a knife now because a few months ago at a gathering I pulled it out so my sister could use it. At first they were a little hesitant about it, especially because there are several little kids always around. But, I always have it clipped inside a pocket when I'm not using it. On top of that, they couldn't think of any discernible reason for me to always carry a knife. Since they first realized I always carry a knife, they've asked to use it probably a dozen times now.

I might go days, or weeks, without touching a single thing in my pockets. But, I'm always thankful to have a knife/flashlight/multitool/tweezers/nailclippers/etc when I need them.

6. Flight-ER-Doc

Flight-ER-Doc Loaded Pockets

LOL....

A few years ago I was at an extended family picnic, celebrating one of my nephews success in soccer or waterpolo or surfing (he's multi-talented, competes in all of them). Someone brought a large cake, but forgot any sort of cutting/serving implements (typical of my sisters, they could lose light switches if they weren't screwed to the walls). The cake was large enough that plastic cutlery wasn't going to leave much but a mess.

So, off I go to my truck, and I pull out.....a Kukri, which I carry in my BoB (replaces a machete, hatchet, etc). Cleaned the blade off, and we sliced away.

And my idiot brothers in law never give me any crap, any more....

7. xthereal

xthereal Loaded Pockets

oooh I'll have to remember this when my daughter gets older and the boys start coming around...whip out a kukri to cut the cake at her party and give each of the boys a good deep stare as I serve up the dessert with it... :lolhammer:

kiloromeo96 likes this.
  8. Radio Cambodia

Radio Cambodia Empty Pockets

After stepping up my minimalist pocket EDC to a colossus my boss has now taken to calling me Bear Grylls at every oportunity, this has sort of caught on with everyone at work. But as with the flashlight situation, it's never funny when they need something from my kit.

9. Corbs

Corbs Loaded Pockets

I was fiddling with my ladyBug, my first Spydie, in fact, my first knife that's not a multitool or SAK.

There were sharp intakes of breath from everyone in the room when it opened! And this was at home, I don't even take it out!

10. PBJS II

PBJS II Loaded Pockets

A freaking Ladybug????

Some people need to GET A LIFE!

3bears and LOLPanda like this.
  11. Corbs

Corbs Loaded Pockets

I think it was the serrations, and the fact they didn't expect it. It's really sharp!

12. JIM

JIM Loaded Pockets

I've got both the serrated and the plain edge Ladybug H1. Carried them both at work and noticed that the serrated one doesn't attract as much attention as the plain edge. Probably because the plain edge looks a lot sharper and is shinyer.

Now I carry the serrated one as work-edc, and have the plain edge in my psk.

13. Corbs

Corbs Loaded Pockets

Maybe, I could see that. They would have noticed either way.

It has to stay at home anyway, it's illegal on the streets here without LA or RE.

14. spyguy

spyguy Loaded Pockets

I get the head shakes, From my Boss at work I am 12 for 12 on things he has needed, the other day it was asprin
    when I pulled it out of my bag he asked me "Is there anything you don't carry?"

15. WillCAD

WillCAD Loaded Pockets

My response to some folks who ask that is, "Is there anything that you DO carry?"

16. johnnytest

johnnytest Loaded Pockets

observer: "That's a lot of stuff on your keychain."
    me: I like to be prepared.
    observer: " For what?
    me: "Anything.
    observer: "I only have keys on my keychain
    me: "Then you're not very prepared.
    observer: " Prepared for what?
    me: "Anything."

--Johnny

:poke:

17. PBJS II

PBJS II Loaded Pockets

Good one johnnytest!

I don't even get rolleyes any more. It is expected that I'll have blades and lights.

18. towheadedmule

towheadedmule Loaded Pockets

Note to self, send a postcard, an email, smoke signals, Western Union telegram and wear a cow bell when approaching Doc's house,,,,,in the daylight. At night, well, wait for daylight.

19. muskrat72

muskrat72 Loaded Pockets

My wife and inlaws always poke fun at me for having the obsession of carrying a knife with me. Once I had left my knife at the inlaws and dang near threw a fit because I couldnt find it. Of course they had a blast making fun of me for this.

While they were having a garage sale my father in law needed to cut something and looked at me and asked me if I had my knife on me.

I said, "Always!"

To this everyone of my inlaws made a "pfft" sound and rolled their eyes at me.

don Roberto likes this.
  20. turbo chicken

turbo chicken Empty Pockets

today in the office... man asking for sicssors to open his microwave breakfast tacos... suprisingly noone in the immediate area had any... it was early not everyone was in yet.

i said quietly to the man... i have a pocket knife... he stuck his hand out an i gave it to hime he said thanks...

then the person i sit next to over heard and... say's in broken english "you got a weapon at work?!"

I immediately looked at her cross and said "it's not a weapon it is a tool" that was my immediate reaction... it just came out... i couldn't stop myself...

thing is... this person sits right next to me ... i've used my knife before to open boxes, cut my pocket mods, cut up lunch, etc etc and she never said a thing ... mabey im just that discrete.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.