1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Awkward moments or negative responses from people while using your EDC

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by Kataklysmic, Apr 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. minew

minew Empty Pockets

I carry a leatherman c33Lx. It's not the size of the knife that attracts attention but the why I open it. I work security in a hospital and use it on a regular basis. When I open it slow and discreetly no one notices or no one cares but when I open it fast with the flick of my wrist so it makes a snap noise when it opens, man oh man, the looks I get and the comments. "Why do you carry a knife like that? Is that legal?" But after I show them how I open it they calm down.

2. scríbhneoir
    • Administrator

scríbhneoir Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

From the Member Guidelines:

2) a. Regarding the language used on this forum, common courtesy and respect for others should prevail. Foul language is unnecessary and unacceptable. Regarding the language used on this forum: If you wouldn't say it to your grandmother, mother, clergyman, or a kindergarten class, then it doesn't need to be said here. This guideline also applies to acronyms and abbreviations which would contain the same questionable content were they written out completely. Language edits are at the discretion of EDCF staff. Comments that are overtly and inflammatorily racist, sexist, anti-religion, political, criminal, or otherwise bigoted or hostile in nature are not welcome and are subject to editing. Members who persist in posting such will be warned and possibly banned.

And the best way to ask this question is via PM to a staff member. :) Thanks!

3. Kardolf

Kardolf Loaded Pockets

I have read this thread with interest, since I have worn a multi-tool on my belt since I was still in high school (my, how things have changed), and as far as I can recall, have never been met with a negative comment. But, I have also always worked in situations where I was expected to have tools (computer technician), and have always been the kind of person who was known for tinkering and working on things. I have pulled my Leatherman out in front of Senior Vice Presidents of international companies, clergymen, LEOs, and who knows who else, and never noticed a second look. However, my Leatherman is almost always my first choice for basic cutting, and maybe it's my attitude that it is just a tool and not a "knife" that makes the difference. I rarely go for the Gerber AR 3.50 that is usually hiding in my pocket, because the Leatherman on my belt does just fine, and everybody knows it's there. Of course, maybe it's the fact that I stand 6'4", and weigh about 280. I really don't know and never thought about it until reading this thread, but I will certainly be listening for comments now.

4. jonny8642

jonny8642 Loaded Pockets

I just got that same question the other day at work :brickwall: :( I told the lady I work with "yeah I have, Myself." Then I showed her the scar on my arm from cutting the wrong way :shrug:

5. B-One

B-One Empty Pockets

Sitting in a lamaze class with my pregnant wife and at least a dozen more couples got a bit boring. The mind is prone to wandering when the instructor drones on and on. Smart comments between the men in the group were quite common. When the nurse was talking about the birth and what to expect, she mentioned that the doctor would most likely ask the father if he would like to cut the cord. She continued on, but I leaned over to the fellow sitting next to me and pulled out my Kershaw Whirlwind. He pulled out whatever he had and as we were admiring one another's blades, we looked up to see that to a person, every other male was comparing pocket knives. We all realized what was going on at roughly the same time and all erupted in laughter. The poor instructor didn't have a clue what was going on.

6. Belush2
    • In Omnia Paratus

Belush2 EDC Junkie!!!!!

B-One That is very funny to try and put that into a picture!! Congratulations to you and your wife...GOOD LUCK!! BTW

Welcome to the forum...Enjoy!!

7. bpa

bpa Loaded Pockets

They provide scissors for the purpose. Quick accurate, reasonably sterile, and no more than the usual blood or guts flying around. It's sort of an anticlimax after crowning anyway. (So, no crowing around! ;D)

8. B-One

B-One Empty Pockets

The class I was talking about was 7 years ago.

The doc handed me the scissors, and you were right, quite anticlimactic.

9. Flight-ER-Doc

Flight-ER-Doc Loaded Pockets

I occasionally get a smart-alecky comment from someone (usually a nurse, occasionally a VERY stupid resident) about my ability to pull a suitable tool out of my pocket or briefcase for some odd medical predicament that a patient has gotten themselves into.

Then I resolve the issue, while they're still waiting for the building engineers (maintenance guys) to show up with a 'tool box'.

And then finally, they come to me first, before they call the engineers. Just last week I had one nimrod who had managed to lock a TSA approved luggage lock over a finger - and forgot the combo. The joint was swelling and quite painful, one of our staff decided to call the TSA at the airport to see if they could bring a key.

Using the metal file on my Wave (that is in my briefcase) I cut the shackle of the lock while they were still on the phone with TSA. The patient was discharged with both pieces of the lock and instructions on where to place them.

Stutz and Water-Rat like this.
  10. WillCAD

WillCAD Loaded Pockets

What I want to know is, why is there not a complete toolbox kept in the ER for such situations? Stuff like that happens all the time; having no toolbox in the ER is like having no surgical supplies because "surgeries don't happen in the ER!"

11. Flight-ER-Doc

Because whatever we need seems to have never been needed before, or wasn't returned by central supply after cleaning/sterilization, or it just disappeared.

For example, we tried using a ring cutter on the lock shackle - didn't work (the shackle metal was too hard). The next tool was a hack saw, which is difficult to use in such situations without hurting the patient - and usually causes a LOT of anxiety (sometimes to the point of requiring procedural sedation, which is dangerous itself).

Plus, hospital administrators don't like buying stuff, and the joint police (The Joint Commission, a group of complete idiots that evaluates hospitals and awards 'compliance' for medicare billing) gets all worked up about things they don't and can't' understand.

And I've had surgeons tell me that I should wait an hour for them to finish (or come in) and let the patient die (who happens to be MY patient at that point, so it's not like they'd be responsible or anything) rather than have the medical instruments to stabilize them, rather than stabilize them in the ED.

12. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

This is why I carry two knives: a small, unassuming, friendly looking knife for tasks when around the squeamish and a large folder for when I'm alone or with normal people.

13. xthereal

xthereal Loaded Pockets

Wow, did somebody just call us normal?! Thanks!! :roof:

14. Dizos

Dizos Loaded Pockets

Same here.

I often get a negative, or at least amused, reaction when I pull out any bit of my EDC (bottle opener, multitool, small knife etc.) but a "large" folder is almost always guaranteed to elicit a response.

15. Flight-ER-Doc

For various values of 'normal'.

One thing you learn in medicine is that there are no 'normal' people. There are some normal-range people, and some who aren't.

16. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

Since I don't hang out with doctors or patients maybe "normal" is easier for me to find.

17. Radio Cambodia

Radio Cambodia Empty Pockets

I had my EDC organiser out at work the other day at work using some bits from it on a drawing and the big boss asks why I need a "pencil case full of torches and knives" then started laughing at it.

She wasn't laughing this afternoon when the power went out.

I, however, was.

18. Flight-ER-Doc

There is nothing sweeter....... Good on you!

19. Corbs

Corbs Loaded Pockets

Normally when someone starts giving me grief about my gear it's because I'm getting it out to help them or the team I'm in, the stock response being 'would you prefer that I'd left it at home?!'

20. Corbs

Corbs Loaded Pockets

Another thing, why do people not seem to realise that it can be dark somewhere, even in the daytime?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.