1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Awkward moments or negative responses from people while using your EDC

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by Kataklysmic, Apr 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brtsmpsn
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Brtsmpsn Oh, Canada!

:rofl::rofl_revamped: :rofl::rofl_revamped::rofl::rofl_revamped::rofl::rofl_revamped: :rofl::rofl_revamped:
    :rofl_revamped: :rofl::rofl_revamped::rofl::rofl_revamped::rofl::rofl_revamped: :rofl::rofl_revamped::rofl:
    :rofl::rofl_revamped: :rofl::rofl_revamped::rofl::rofl_revamped::rofl::rofl_revamped: :rofl::rofl_revamped:
    :rofl_revamped: :rofl::rofl_revamped::rofl::rofl_revamped::rofl::rofl_revamped: :rofl::rofl_revamped::rofl:

2. BubbaFett
    • In Omnia Paratus

BubbaFett Loaded Pockets

Wow that's funny, I've never seen that but I always yell out "Supplies!" like that when I receive them at work.

SAKplumber, shmook, IgwanaRob and 2 others like this.
  3. Cameron

Cameron Loaded Pockets

This isn't really a negative encounter but today on a loading dock I was trying to cut a zip tie and when I wiped out my griptillian the clicking sound scared the woman I was with so much she almost fell off the loading dock but luckily caught herself. It was dramatic to say the least. The knife didn't scare her so much that the clicking and fast deployment did (luckily people in my profession all carry knives or at least most do)

Boric287, microbe, SAKplumber and 2 others like this.
  4. groovster

groovster Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the statistics, Cone. It seems you've researched this a bit. Statistics like these would never make it into the main stream media when these sort of things happen.

5. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

Well, to be honest, I first saw those stats in a video made by a prominent martial artist and tactical instructor. I'd post the video, but there is crude language and I don't want 2% to have to take time out of his busy day to remind me I shouldn't post such things.:)

Anyway, I wanted to see if the numbers were accurate and I went to the FBI's own crime states and it turns out they are pretty close to what you find. The funny thing is, depending on which page you are on on the FBI's site, they actually give you slightly different numbers. I get that statistics can be manipulated to show what you want, but you'd think that raw numbers from the people who keep them would be nailed down better.

In any event, you only have to pay attention to the news to see that those stats do, indeed, play out in reality.

6. A4VC

A4VC Loaded Pockets

Nor would the fact that you're about 80% more likely to be killed by a bolt of lightning than in an active shooter scenario. You could fill volumes with what's NOT covered in the media. I'm not saying don't be prepared, but don't play golf or fly a kite in a thunderstorm either.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. T.H.Cone

True. It is totally a high impact, low probability Black Swan event. That said, if those statistics are to be believed, all you need the most important thing you need to be prepared for it is the proper mindset. And that, my friends, takes up no pocket room at all.

8. LRex
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

LRex Loaded Pockets

I tried teaching my dad the UI on the S15 in 5 minutes...he tried cycling through the modes and I cringed. I just put it into the highest output and gave him specific instructions to just press on and off. I also gave him a warning that if he were to activate the strobe, twist the tail cap. I should just send him off with a V2 LedLenser...

9. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

S'why I like my modes simple. :D

10. neginfluence04

neginfluence04 Loaded Pockets

Usually I have strangers positively comment on my beard but a few days ago some jackass in line at the store turned to me in line and said, "You look like a hobo. Why don't you shave that :censored: off your face?" For those of you that don't know me, I'm a very witty person and can come up with the most hurtful and or off the wall things at the drop of a hat. My response with out thinking was, "turn the :censored: around before I punch you in your :censored: holster." The look on the guys face priceless and I think his friends laughing at my comment made it even worst. Luckily for him I was in a good mood and didn't have to resort to beating a mouthy man child's :censored: with my belt.

11. neginfluence04

neginfluence04 Loaded Pockets

My dad too had issues with understanding the complexity of my eagletac. Because of this issue I ended up buying him a jetbeam BA20 which only has a low mode and high mode.

Last edited by neginfluence04, Jul 25, 2014
  12. de Vries
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

de Vries EDC Junkie!!!

Last weekend I was at a BBQ and there were some things fixed to a fence with fish wire. A lady tried to take it of and ran into some tangled mess, she then asks anyone for a key to cut the wire (?!?). When I helped with my SAK she replied "you carry a knife? :eek: ".
    Some people. :rolleyes:

13. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

I have to admit, I would have enjoyed watching her try to cut wire with a key...

14. keith1234
    • In Omnia Paratus

keith1234 Loaded Pockets

WOW!!! Talk about the wrong tool for the job.

15. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

Yeah, she had no business trying to cut wire. (eta: because she was clearly the wrong tool for the job.)

Last edited by tmedina, Jul 25, 2014
  16. Aleister

Aleister Loaded Pockets

As a fellow bearded guy, I salute you sir! :D

People who have something bad to say about beards are people who can't grow one :D

17. BalancedEdge

BalancedEdge Loaded Pockets

I was reading through these, and I finally remembered that one happened to me a while ago!
    (Keep in mind I'm in High School)

About midway through last year, my Social Studies teacher assigned us a group video project on current issues in Africa. My group was given the topics of Deforestation and Poaching. So, we all decide on a date we can go to this one kids house to research and film. I arrive, being perfectly punctual as the first one there, and start researching about the aforementioned topic(s). Before either of the other group members arrive, the first kid and I finished the script. On the last page, there was about half a page blank, and we needed to write other things down to maybe add to the script later. I pull out my CRKT heiho folder (deceased) and shave the bottom half of the page straight off. The kid there doesn't notice a thing. Later, when everyone had arrived and we were starting filming, the others came up with the idea of making the video as though we're interrogating the President. I don't know why. So, on kid intimidatingly stares at the camera and talks, while another kid and I step from behind walls and also look intimidating. At this point, I innocently (as much as possible when playing the role of an intimidating guard) say, "Oh wait, we can use this to make it even more intimidating," as I pull out my newly bought ZT 0350. Now, as you know, that's a pretty big folder. And loud. I flip it open and one of the members jumps, honestly, about 2 feet in the air. The other two guys are unmoving, but surprised. One of them just says, "Why am I surprised that you a knife with you." "Actually, I have two." The kid who jumped goes and sits down on a couch a few feet away. Later, I taught him and the others how to hold and use the flipper and CRKT assist, and he did pretty well. We used the knife in the video, and it made everyone laugh in class.

It seems that the younger people are, they're less stuck with the idea of knives as weapons all the time, except for that one kid. We've gotta teach 'em while they can still absorb the knowledge!

18. Ageless Stranger

Ageless Stranger Loaded Pockets

T.H. Cone for president.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. BubbaFett
    • In Omnia Paratus

BubbaFett Loaded Pockets

Running mate: T.H. Cone's beard.

20. T.H.Cone

You guys are too funny. You should know that my wife doesn't allow me to be in charge of anything here at the house, so I don't think being president is in my future.

First Man? Maybe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.