1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Awkward moments or negative responses from people while using your EDC

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by Kataklysmic, Apr 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. painted pig

painted pig Empty Pockets

It was not the neighbor dog who bit me. It was a friend's dog with whom I was playing and he did NOT mean to bite he was just trying to get a better grip on the tug rope we were playing with and accidentally grazed my thumb. It was one of those things where you look at it and can see the wound but feel no pain yet and have time to think "This is going to hurt in a minute!" The only point I was making by mentioning the bite was that while I have always had plenty of respect for the power of those jaws, and while it would make me very sick for a very long time to have to hurt a dog the pain and time away from my family caused by an accidental graze which was my own fault and not a serious bite at all (if not for the infection a couple of stitches would have handled it) I now have a new found respect for the bacteria in a bite and I will wear heavy gloves when rough housing with a dog and I will take NO chances on allowing an unknown dog to even graze me again. Should a dog approach me in an aggressive manner, it will die ASAP and I will be very sick about it but not hospitalized. The rottie I mentioned approaching me before felt quite confident and doubtless sensed that I did not at first but both times I slipped the sheath as previously described and he either sensed the change in my attitude or dogs know about hatchets, but his attitude changed immediately.

As to suing, I guess I would if I had to but I have done it once (not for a dog bite), I was 100% right, I won, and it was such a looong MISERABLE process that it will take a situation in which I feel I have no choice at all to get me to do that again.

2. hovaczech

hovaczech Loaded Pockets

Re: Awkward moments or negative responses from people while using your EDC

Talk about awkward or negative responses....this is the second time in two weeks someone on the forum has questioned my up bringing! I'm starting to get a complex.

:lolhammer: ​

:angel: I was raised by two teachers in the bible belt. Very wholesome I assure you. No jail time or guilty conscience here! :angel:

3. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

"If he chooses to carry a hatchet and is within his legal rights to do so. He should carry it and shouldn't be judged as seeking trouble or seen as beligerent and looking for a confrontation."

Just because there is no legislation to prohibit the carry a hatchet, there are circumstances in which he should not. That is where tact, diplomacy, consideration, etiquette, ethics, morals, and just plain good manners apply. What if the carry location is IN a church?

People have become acclimated to the sight of such gregarious-looking implements, outside of an environment in which the item is customarily used, as something borne from "belligerence or confrontation."

There is time and place for everything. In a camp environment, the hatchet or large fixed blade is likely to be considered de' rigueur. In a suburban setting where soccer moms run aplenty, it will irk someone so that the authorities are eventually summoned.

Same would be true if a "city dweller" were to suddenly appear in a rural environment. Have you seen the feature film My Cousin Vinny? The two lead characters arrive with their customary dress from which they originate, however are transplanted to one in which their wardrobe is then seen as "belligerent" and the judge orders the male lead character to change his outfit. While certainly NOT unlawful, the character's outfit was not tactful for the environment.

4. painted pig

That which is not specifically permitted is forbidden? I grew up in West Berlin. Had to travel through the DDR for every away game, orthodontist appt., ski trip, class trip etc. etc.. Had plenty of that nonsense and I am quite certain we have far too many laws rules regs as it is without making up more for ourselves. If that makes me a trouble maker then yep, sign me up.

ChrisJ likes this.
  5. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

"...we have far too many laws rules regs as it is without making up more for ourselves."

I don't understand this part of your post; particularly that which is underscored. Please elaborate.

ChrisJ likes this.
  6. painted pig

It is not illegal to carry a hatchet, if I want to and do not because it offends the sensibilities of someone I am needlessly limiting my own freedoms. It is not illegal for a soccer mom to drive past my home and give me the finger so while I might not appreciate it if she does I would not see the need to call the cops nor expect her to limit herself because of my dislike. If she were to do this in my yard that would be a different story as it would if I were to carry a hatchet in her yard.

ChrisJ likes this.
  7. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Thanks for elaborating.

8. hovaczech

hovaczech Loaded Pockets

Off topic - Wow you have quite the eloquence about you. Your responses are well thought out and well worded.

Back to topic:

I agree with portions of your post and would concur that there are definitely times when tact and etiquette should be used, it just does not feel like this is one of those times. I liked your reference to My Cousin Vinny and understand your point, but who decides what is belligerent or offensive to who?

In church or on private property, the homeowner or delegate of the church would be within the law to say nay to hatchet carry. In court it is well within the judges authority to dictate fashion appropriateness. But on a public way the only one that should impose restrictions on a person out for a stroll would be the the duly elected officials of that community and they apparently have decided it was OK to carry a hatchet.

9. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

"...but who decides what is belligerent or offensive to who?"
    Those whom decide are those that are declaratively stating an interpretation of a certain belief (now legislated as law) as a reflection of the platform on which they stood when electing the public official now empowered to represent their beliefs and position in the community in which they have chosen to reside and provide support via taxes paid; known collectively as residents and voters. Dissenting from the majority are those that did not have their preferred candidate elected, however are equally represented by that elected official and are part of the greater constituency. We, the people, decide!

"But on a public way the only one that should impose restrictions on a person out for a stroll would be the the duly elected officials of that community and they apparently have decided it was OK to carry a hatchet."
    As inherently impossible as that may be for those officials to be perpetually there on public grounds, it is not their charter to enforce. Their responsibility is creating legislature from those requirements that we, the people, present to them as a stipulation of their tenure in office. They serve us.

We, the people, decide those restrictions as a collective majority, however there will always be those that dissent. Those that we elect have a fiduciary responsibility to serve those that dissent in the same manner and method as those that elected them.

10. hovaczech

hovaczech Loaded Pockets

Again off topic - I almost had to break out my pocket dictionary for that one. I do like seeing well thought out and expressed opinions on the boards here. May I ask what you do for a living? If I had to guess I would venture that your in the legal field.

As inherently impossible as that may be for those officials to be perpetually there on public grounds, it is not their charter to enforce. Their responsibility is creating legislature from those requirements that we, the people, present to them as a stipulation of their tenure in office. They serve us

I understand the responsibility of the legislators is to make the law and not enforce it, what I was inferring was that they make the laws restricting the person out for a stroll which in turn would be enforced by the police in this instance. So in a sense they are the ones imposing the restrictions if not enforcing them.

We, the people, decide those restrictions as a collective majority, however there will always be those that dissent.

Dissenting or not those who do not like the law are still required to follow it. They also have no right to change them without following the proper process.

We, the people, decide!

By proxy. Elected officials should make decisions based on best interests of the community. Not always the case, but such are the joys of living in a Representative Democracy.

Regardless of fiduciary responsibility they cannot represent everyones interests all the time and there will always be someone who is not content with their decision.

11. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

I was responding more abstractly in my previous post.

"...but who decides what is belligerent or offensive to who?"
    Each of us, at least here in the US, have a right to decide what or whom is belligerent or offensive and to state that as long as it does not violate the rights of another. I can simply say to another, in a calm manner, Hey, I firmly believe that you are belligerent and offensive by carrying that hatchet. The other person can respond obviously in a number of ways. Simply responding with a nod is one way or not acknowledging it is fine. I made that decision. Interaction complete.

"But on a public way the only one that should impose restrictions on a person out for a stroll would be the the duly elected officials of that community and they apparently have decided it was OK to carry a hatchet."
    If we leave it to the officials, whom cannot be there all the time, to enforce those restrictions, then most of those restrictions cannot possibly be enforced. We need to rely on the citizenry for self enforcement. That includes oneself. If unable or unwilling, others should take note and immediately contact an enforcement official.

In the case with the hatchet, just because there is no legislative prohibition to prevent carrying it, does mot mean that someone cannot report its presence on a fellow citizen just because it upsets their sense of security. The person whose security is upset can choose to leave the vicinity, in which case part of their freedom is limited, or stay put.

12. painted pig

Maybe I misinterpreted the intent of the OP but wasn't the point of this whole thread meant to be to relate experiences with the ridiculous reactions of what are referred to on other, "knifecentric" forums, in what I can only describe as and abundance of kindness as ":censored:"? Surely there can not be anyone who regularly carries and uses in a strictly appropriate (whatever that is) manner, even the smallest of pocket knives, who has not heard something along the lines of "What do you need THAT for?" I have, more than once, when using the wharncliff blade of an 897 UH which while I am too lazy to go measure cannot exceed 2 inches and is probably closer to 1", to cut open packing tape on a box. If that is any more or less inappropriate or dangerous to a synnapticly challenged bystander than a hatchet carried by a pedestrian is to a similarly challenged bystander inside of a home is I fail (or refuse, as you wish) to see it. For that matter, it can not be logically argued that the hatchet is any more, or even as dangerous as my 20 oz. Estwing hammer was in my then 20 years younger and far more capable of mayhem hand when I worked construction, or on my belt as I biked home from work through and to far more soccer mom ish neighborhoods than that in which I presently live. The defense of such nonsense baffles me anywhere let alone on a forum dedicated to the carrying and use of tools. I wonder what the reasonable and prudent limit on lumens should be on my light should I choose to walk at night? End of nonsensical discussion for me.

Bearded Wolf likes this.
  13. DSC

DSC Banned

14. Captain. Glock

Captain. Glock Empty Pockets

I've gotten a couple "why do you have that?" when I use one of my knives to open something but nothing more.

P.S - painted pig said he carries a hatchet :eek:. There was an argument. Moderator spoke and politely told us to drop it. I think we should do so because the hatchet thing is getting annoying and has NOTHING to do with the actual topic.

15. xthereal

xthereal Loaded Pockets

Totally OT - I love your sig, DSC, is that a Slap Chop quote?! lol busted me up :idiot2:

On topic - I recently made a very small knife for a friend, (posted some pics in thread called Made a Birthday Knife) and was showing it to my father-in-law who loved it. My wife's grandparents happened to be there and saw it as well, their reactions were something like this:

Grandpa: Oh what's that for, sharpening pencils?
    Grandma: Oh, that looks like it could be deadly!

I just walked away thinking, those are two of the oddest comments I think I could have received haha

16. hovaczech

hovaczech Loaded Pockets

I apologize if I strayed off topic, I was just enjoying the smart responses that OdBm was posting. No animosity at all towards him for his point of view. I will not comment further then to say we can agree to disagree.

I have had some "switchblade" comments made when I use my Benchmade AO to open packages around the office. I have even had the HR guy ask me about it.

17. Rocket Jones

Rocket Jones Empty Pockets

Yesterday at work a new item arrived in a large box. Since it was the office, I bypassed my folder and pulled out my SAK. As I opened the smallest blade on it, I let everyone know so they wouldn't freak out. It may seem like overkill, but many in the office know I carry a knife (some know I carry two, nobody knows I carry two more in my bag), and so far, by being considerate of their sensibilities I've had no problems. I have had the "it's not a weapon, it's a tool" conversation with a couple of folks.

A little thought beforehand always helps.

18. painted pig

I was wondering, was the person who posted after post #131 using the initials for bovine scatology edited or deleted because of said initials and was it of his own volition? If this is in the wrong place to ask this I apologize.

19. James In Toronto

James In Toronto Loaded Pockets

I saw this in Uncle Shelby's Scout Handbook, (by Shel Silverstein) published in Playboy Magazine, June of 1964, and thought it might be relevant.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by James In Toronto, Dec 16, 2014
  20. hardcider75

hardcider75 Loaded Pockets

My Dad once in a while gives me some hell about the size of my folders; he himself carries a SAK. I used to EDC a Kershaw Tanto Cyclone, but have since switched to an Emerson SOCFK. About a month ago him and Mom were taking a road trip to Arizona and he asked if he could borrow one in case of an emergency. I gave him the Kershaw, which he absolutely fell in love with. I told him to keep it, he has it in his truck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.