1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Awkward moments or negative responses from people while using your EDC

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by Kataklysmic, Apr 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark123

Mark123 Empty Pockets

I had to walk through a security checkpoint to enter a government building and had to hand over my Gerber Multitool and Hideaway Necker-I thought no big deal-but the security guards looked at me like I was crazy.

Actually, compared to what some of my coworkers carry (4-6" Shrade Knives) what I carry could be considered lightweight by comparison.

2. JIM
    • +3 Supporter

JIM Loaded Pockets

Everyone who works in a hospital should carry a knife or multi-tool. Not only to cut patient-restraints in an emergency, but also because it's just so convenient!

I always carry a serrated Spyderco Ladybug in my scrubs with a CountyComm SOLED attached to it.

Philippe C. likes this.
  3. NosHusky

NosHusky Loaded Pockets

I think the most awkward evil stare is i pulled out my SAK and took out the tooth pick, picked something out of my teeth wiped it on my shirt and put it back.... everyone looked at me funny.

4. tux

tux Empty Pockets

The Safety mechanism can fail, he should probably choose to carry in a different manner if it is a common issue for him. As for the firearm discharging if dropped it depends on the model and if they are carrying with a round chambered. Most these days have a mechanism called a firing pin block to prevent such an indecent.

As for negativity due to EDC, I've recieved some in larger cities but around here it's pretty normal to EDC knives. I usually get more comments like "that's a nice knife, what did it cost you" and "can you open this for me".

5. anik02

anik02 Empty Pockets

I just got a SOG flash II a few days ago, and at work it was a slow day so I was flipping it open (I love the assisted opening!!) One of the employees at my work saw me open it, and made a comment like "I have never had someone actually be armed when they wanted to kill me" I just gave him a :censored:? face and said that I just use it to open boxes and stuff...he should know that because before I carried the SOG, I had a cheapo Byrd 3 inch folder.

Also, my father (who I work for) would constantly comment on the size of my knives, and would always say "why do you need such a big knife?" I never though either of them were large (both 3 inches) and still use them all day...and he still comments on them once in a while, but I just ignore him now :p

Funny thing is that next weekend we are going to the range for the first time even though he is really anti gun/weapon person, so hopefully I can get him converted and addicted, and we can get our licenses (no carry licenses in Canada) and eventually get into it more :D

6. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

I'll validate this remark! I live in the greater Southern California metropolis. I have contacted at least one agency (the one that resides in the county in which I reside and work).

Rule? no; NOT a "rule" per se', but an opportunity for interpretation by a front-line public administrator (ne' LEO). This can occur especially if probable cause is established OR or during search and seizure (Terry vs. Ohio).

7. tux

tux Empty Pockets

Sure their is, you just won't get approved unless you are a Prime Minister or highly connected as only about 50 people in the country have one (you must show that your life is in danger to get one which leads to pretty limited circumstances).

Philippe C. likes this.
  8. painted pig

painted pig Empty Pockets

It's not an EDC per se but when I walk for exercise in my neighborhood I carry a GB hatchet (sheathed and held by the head) for protection from dogs. Now I LOVE dogs and have four of my own but I never let mine out of the fenced yard off leash unlike many in my admittedly redneck neighborhood. One of particular concern is a rottie who I estimate to weigh approx 120lbs and is not friendly to say the least. Usually he is fenced but has been out several times and acted aggressively towards me on two occasions. Lest anyone think I am paranoid or weird (and if you do, oh well), I received a small bite to a thumb about 2 years ago which required a couple of stitches to close, not a big deal at all BUT two days later I had red streaks running up my arm. I returned to the doc and was immediately sent to surgery then admitted. Another two days go by (in hospital) and brand new red streaks appear despite IV antibiotics so off to surgery again. After an ER visit, two surgeries, six days in the hospital on IV antibiotics and another month of oral ABs at home plus two months of not being able to use my hand because the thumb had to be totally immobilized I am now a bit wary of dog bites. In addition, while I was a cop myself I got to feel the power of dog jaws several times through a training sleeve. When I walk with my family, no problem, but when I am alone, some wonderful neighbor repeatedly calls the cops to report me. The first time I had to go through the whole put the hatchet down, hands behind my head and a search of everything and did not complain despite a total lack of PC as the hatchet is completely legal here. Still, the cops repeatedly suggested strongly that I carry some other form of protection like " a big stick". The act has been repeated several times since but without the improper search and to be fair the cops have been quite good natured every time since, just pulling up alongside me and joking for a bit about scaring the neighbors but still strongly suggesting I carry a stick instead. Now I realize I look somewhat menacing (I'm a fairly big guy with a large beard, shaved head) but the fact is I am totally legal and I feel that giving in to what is obviously nothing more than prejudice (I walk with my family far more often than alone but am never reported when they are along) is just stupid. I realize the cops are trying to keep the civilians feeling safe but I fail to see how willingly abridging my rights would solve anything other than someone's irrational fear. I feel that if your gear is legal, use it openly and unabashedly rather than try to protect someones aichmophobia. Rights, like muscles need to be exercised or they will atrophy. Yes, I could legally carry a pistol but I would likely not have much warning if a dog wanted to latch on and I would not want to be winging flying ashtrays around the neighborhood. Also, once engaged, I think a small axe or hatchet would be a much more useful weapon rather than trying to shoot a dog off myself and likely hitting myself.

9. hovaczech

hovaczech Loaded Pockets

I would say if your within the legal rights of your locale, continue on as you wish. If he police continue to suggest alternate carry I would say it borders on harassment. Chances are the wonderful neighbor who is so concerned for neighborhood saftey is the one with the rotty in question!

ChrisJ likes this.
  10. nbmaine2007

nbmaine2007 Loaded Pockets

I have a hatchet that is sheathed in a similar manner. I'd think that it would be very hard to get that out if you were really under pressure (like a dog latched to a limb). Mine you have to unsnap, and then pull the entire thing including handle up through. I'd think you'd be much better off with a larger fixed blade knife. You probably wouldn't stick out as much, and it could serve a purpose of also being an EDC knife. Legal or not, carrying a hatchet is going to get you attention that I'd hope you're not looking for.

11. painted pig

Actually, the sheath comes off quite easily one handed, just move my thumb back against the snap strap and it virtually falls off. Not the greatest sheath but perfect for this purpose. I am definitely not looking for attention, in fact I wear a large hat, large sunglasses and ipod with in ear black (for conspicuousness) phones, for sun protection and entertainment and equally as important to me, to encourage plenty of being left alone. I'm not antisocial but when I'm exercising I'm not looking for chit chat. That said, had the neighbor politely asked about the hatchet or asked the cops to I would have at least considered carrying my Randall #14 or BK9 instead, and I told the cops this, but since they insist on harassing me (neighbor not cops) they have guaranteed I will continue to carry the hatchet. I don't look for trouble at all, in fact I will go quite a way to avoid it if possible but if I am minding my own business and doing nothing illegal I expect the same of others.

12. nbmaine2007

Kind of contradicting yourself, IMHO. Again, I'm just stating it because you asked. Obviously legally you're able to carry the hatchet, but it sounds like you're trying to start trouble, not avoid it. If you were looking to avoid trouble, you'd move to a knife, not continue to carry the hatchet just because a neighbor doesn't like it.

13. painted pig

I asked what?? IIRC you thought the owner of the forum was looking for trouble by filing a police report against "maxpedition" for threatening his safety which he did only after he was threatened with a lawsuit and sought legal counsel who advised him to file the report. Now, I'm the FNG here so if I have you mixed up with someone else I apologize but if not, how is filing a police report in response to a stated threat and on advice of legal counsel looking for trouble but calling law enforcement from inside your home because someone is walking down a public road carrying a legal tool not? If a drunk loudmouth were to accost me and begin insulting me obviously looking for a fight I would simply walk away, but willingly not carrying a tool because it makes someone nervous, reasonably or not, is to me tantamount to calling the complaint legitimate. Voluntarily surrendering rights by hiding the use of our pocket knives or whatever is not the way to keep them, in my opinion, openly using them safely and legally and refusing to be ashamed or embarrassed or intimidated is. If you feel otherwise, cool, hide away. I will continue to avoid trouble whenever reasonably possible and, if it comes, from my legal actions, face it as nicely as I can. I don't care at all about having to speak nicely to a belligerent drunk or walk around and away from him but I do care about having to put away because of someone's irrational fear. If I am wrong about the best tool for this job then if the worst happens, I will pay for my stupidity.

14. nbmaine2007

Just as I thought! The ones "looking to avoid trouble" are usually the ones really looking for a fight. Do what you want to do, dude...Best of luck to you on your conquests vs. the K-9 dragons.

15. painted pig

16. hovaczech

hovaczech Loaded Pockets

While I love this forum because I get to hear everyone's opinion it is often hard to remember that they are only that. Opinions. So, please, lets keep it friendly.

If he chooses to carry a hatchet and is within his legal rights to do so. He should carry it and shouldn't be judged as seeking trouble or seen as beligerent and looking for a confrontation. I always thought if you weren't breaking the law then you weren't doing anything wrong.

Bearded Wolf, PPCApache and ChrisJ like this.
  17. DSC

DSC Banned

+1

18. nbmaine2007

Really? I guess I was raised different than you.

19. DB

DB Kilted Moderator

This is a reminder to keep it civil, folks. Let's keep the conversation moving forward.

DB

:tardis:

20. bpa

bpa Loaded Pockets

I think your focus is at least partially misdirected. You are taking too much of the problem on yourself, when actually it is the neighbor's responsibility to control his animal.

It seems to me that if the neighbor's dog did the biting, you have cause to sue for your medical costs. Or better yet, your insurance company could sue. If this hostile dog is not restrained, a call to Animal Control might also take care of the problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.