1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Awkward moments or negative responses from people while using your EDC

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by Kataklysmic, Apr 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

I think unfortunately, almost anywhere in the world, if you switch the person in the story to a male, especially a young male, and the reaction would be completely different.

Brtsmpsn, ALLHSS and MatBlack like this.
  2. Kentucky

Kentucky Loaded Pockets

I live in rural Eastern,Ky..This is still part of the world were they look at you funny if you DONT have a knife..

3. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips Loaded Pockets

Again with the annoying woman I've complained about before in this thread.

Did a lot of manual stuff I usually don't have to today at work, got back to the break room at lunch time and could feel a fair few blisters coming up on my palms but knew I was going to have to go back out for round two in a short while.

So! Out comes the PFAK. Out comes the zinc tape. On goes the zinc tape. And then the comments start. I didn't reply but I shot her a glance and went back to wrapping up my hands. Walked out of the room as I heard my manager ask why I had tape on my hands and her derogatory reply. The whole team I work with were there the whole time this time, so I'm pretty sure they noticed the :censored: she was spewing.

Anyway my hands are fine, the same cannot be said for the guy I was working with all day. I really need to replace my gloves...

4. FenixArcher

FenixArcher EDC Junkie!!!

Well apparently one of my managers thinks I'm "preparing for the apocalypse" cause of all the stuff I EDC.
    And one of my coworkers asked which knives I was carrying, so when the credit card knife came out, another coworker comment "oh, you're one of those guys."
    Pretty sure he meant mall ninja (which I am not).

microbe, Fukurai, keith1234 and 2 others like this.
  5. Dr Jekell
    • Administrator
    • In Omnia Paratus

Dr Jekell I had fun once, It was awful.
    Staff Member

I guess my warning from Dec was not headed.

The thread stays on the topic of "Awkward moments or negative responses from people while using your EDC" and does not stray into other areas or the thread goes bye bye.

FenixArcher likes this.
  6. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

neutrontech Loaded Pockets

I've heard the preparing for the end of the world thing when pulling randomly requested items from my bag. But today an employee was glad I was prepared when I showed up on his job site. He said he was starving so I pulled out a 3 Musketeers Bar and a Twinkie and handed them to him.

On a side note, I've started discussing preparedness to job candidates while conducting an interview. Time management and self reliance are important in our line of work. I ask them if they try and be prepared and bring what they need or if they tend to rely on others. I always ask if they brought a pen when they arrive. Then at some point during the interview I ask to borrow their knife to open a box. If they don't have one, then I put the box away. If they do I open up the box with their knife and give them the swag inside.

I feel that those who plan ahead and are prepared make better overall employees. Most of the time the candidate has a knife, however. Which certainly is a good thing.

A couple times I hired a guy without a knife. Then on their first day they come up to me and show me the knife they started carrying after their interview, and how useful it has been.

I also recommend to every new hire that they carry a bag with them each day with a change of clothes and other odds n ends needed each day. Many say 'good idea' and start doing it.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Fukurai, SAKplumber, Lou_G and 17 others like this.
  7. scbubba
    • In Omnia Paratus

scbubba Loaded Pockets

Love this idea!

I wonder if I should start doing that for our software development positions? Not that having a knife is helpful for their work, but it does tell you something about the candidate. Of course, here in SC you are more likely to find people with a knife on them than not regardless of profession. Or gender.

Thanks for the idea!

Fukurai, SAKplumber, snaplok and 3 others like this.
  8. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

And a flashlight! :D

Lou_G, scbubba, keith1234 and 2 others like this.
  9. KB3UBW

KB3UBW Loaded Pockets

What line of work are you in, if you don't mind me asking

Brtsmpsn likes this.
  10. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

Dish Network

Fukurai, SAKplumber and Brtsmpsn like this.
  11. RBid

RBid Loaded Pockets

Good question. I have at least narrowed it down. Since he didn't suggest AR pistol carry, he's not a team leader of WalMart greeters.

If you don't carry it every day, it's not every day carry.

Brtsmpsn likes this.
  12. snaplok

snaplok Loaded Pockets

I know NYC midtown secretaries and admins that carry at least a SAK, and a few I've given CRKT M16-10kz's to as gifts. Not an imposing knife but a very good one. And within the legal range. :angel:

Brtsmpsn likes this.
  13. batteur
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

batteur Loaded Pockets

They should carry a torch, a multitool and a USB drive. ;)

14. scbubba
    • In Omnia Paratus

scbubba Loaded Pockets

That sounds like a great combo to include in the interview process.
    I just happen to have one of each of those on me at the moment...

Fukurai, Brtsmpsn and warchild like this.
  15. TKDstomper

TKDstomper Banned

I've only been faced with one situation where I need to draw my handgun, but I still carry it every day. Better to not need and have than to need and nit have, right? That goes for my knife too. I saved Christmas. Lol

Sent from my Nokia Lumia using Tapatalk and glitchy Windows 8

whoozle, ALLHSS and Brtsmpsn like this.
  16. batteur
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

batteur Loaded Pockets

Probably a LM Style PS would be enough.

Brtsmpsn and scbubba like this.
  17. gene stoner

gene stoner Loaded Pockets

That's why now carry a SAK. It draws no negative comments.

18. ausgebombt

ausgebombt Loaded Pockets

One odd thing I have noticed numerous times recently is when I have been at house/dinner parties and been using a pocket knife (a clean one that I purposefully carried for food prep at the party) and the homeowner says "would you like a sharper knife?" and reaches for some insanely blunted, chipped, dinged up walmart kitchen knife.... This has happened 4 or 5 times over the past few months and I just don't understand it. I keep ALL my knives hair-shaving sharp. I'm not sure why the public's general opinion of a pocket knife is that it is some blunt hacking instrument??? And the kicker is always that the knife the homeowner then tries to hand me isn't as sharp as its handle.

Further story: I was sharpening a friend's kitchen knife once as it was what they gave me to prepare food with and the edge was literally a milimeter thick... as in there was no edge to actually speak of. Anyway, the friend's wife comes in the kitchen and goes "um what are you doing?" in a fairly negative tone. I said "sharpening this knife so I can use it." She then says "i'm sure it was sharp enough" and gives me a kind of eye roll. So I finished sharpening it, handed her the knife, and said "ok then you cut the :censored: vegetables" pretending to be offended. 5 minutes later she comes and finds me in the other room and says "so can you sharpen all our knives like that?"

SThr, keith1234, Brtsmpsn and 4 others like this.
  19. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

I learned yesterday how different my area must be than most. I went to the courthouse for my appointment with the gun board for my CPL. I had my leatherman on my belt, spyderco clipped to my pocket, and leatherman squirt on my keys. There was around 20 people attending to get their permits too, most had folding knives in sheaths or pocket clips visible. All ages, male and female.

The board consisted of the sheriff, prosecutor, and a rep from the state police. Their opening statement to everyone was thanking us for taking on the responsibility of concealed carrying. They expressed how they felt we have a safer community with so many permit holders. They commented on how we, as Americans, have a right to be armed and that their offices and departments were major supporters of pro gun rights. They even suggested we carry two guns, in the event one fails.

I just find it interesting how one community can fear and attempt to ban sharp sticks, while others let you walk into a courthouse with multiple knives and vigorously support and encourage everyone to embrace the 2nd ammendment. One community sells it's residents fear and has them begging for protection while another encourages it's residents to be ready to defend and protect themselves because law enforcement won't always be nearby.

Bearded Wolf, ghuns, SThr and 11 others like this.
  20. keith1234
    • In Omnia Paratus

keith1234 Loaded Pockets

Along a similar line last week when I arrived at the hospital my mom was taken to via ambulance I rode along too, upon arrival I was taken over to a checkpoint and asked to place all metal objects in the bin. Well I placed my light and my LM wave along with keys in it, the security guard asked about the LM Wave did it have a blade I said yes and he told me it had to be checked. I apologized and he was like no big deal I'll give you a receipt for it you can't be expected to think of something like during a crisis. It reassured me that not every security guard out there is just some uncaring uniformed person. He didn't even find a need to check and just took me at my word for it, the Wave went straight into a numbered bag then into a locked drawer then I had to sign for it. Got it back the next day with no issues.

SThr, T.H.Cone, scbubba and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.