1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Awkward moments or negative responses from people while using your EDC

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by Kataklysmic, Apr 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FenixArcher

FenixArcher EDC Junkie!!!

Recently I've had a couple negative reactions over my Benchmade 940.
    Not cause of how "scary" and "switch blade murder weapon" it is, but because of the price tag.
    I tell em my philosophy:
    If you are fine with carrying a $5 cheap pocketknife that does everything you need, that's fine. It works for you. But I use my knives a lot more than most people, and I have come to want something of quality.
    Each of my EDC knives serves it's own purpose, too. The Leatherman Wave gets used daily for everything, so does the Benchmade 940, and my Spyderco Bug is used for loaning and small stuff. My Leatherman Style CS is mainly for the scissors, and my Boker credit card knife sits in my wallet as a last ditch.

wildborego and Domain like this.
  2. netcat

netcat Loaded Pockets

I think we have found the point here. Guess why she is mocking you for your freaking notebook... Pal, I am pretty sure she is worried pooless that she might not be your superior for as long as she wishes to. If I had to guess, I would say she is quite competent in what she does, but not as competent as her position would require, is she?

--
    Urban EDC philosophy: Getting things done for yourself and others.

"Inveniam viam aut faciam!" - I will find a way or make one!

3. Domain

Domain Loaded Pockets

If people are afraid of someone having a notebook, I'm afraid for this world more than ever.

4. Crash_Fistfight

Crash_Fistfight Loaded Pockets

If you feel you are in a hostile work environment because of your supervisors behavior toward you, then an EEO complaint is in order.

Don't let these things pile up and possibly affect your job! The boss may or may not see through her, you don't want to risk a blow out and the possibility of losing your job.

Don't let it fester for too long!

Last edited by Crash_Fistfight, Mar 11, 2014
    pacrawshaw and groovster like this.
  5. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

I had a negative response while on vacation. I had to get something out of my kit and my curious niece started asking what stuff was. No big until she asked about the film canister with my Cottonpicker charger in it.
    Her next question was "Whats a film canister?":eek:
    Kids today:rolleyes_revamped:

6. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

Try to buy flint sometime....

Your kitty seems to have hit his/her growth spurt. Google "Shadow Of The Rainforest" "Robert Bateman". Sadly, online pictures don't do it justice.

ATB,
    Sam

Brtsmpsn and SAKplumber like this.
  7. sharpkona

sharpkona Loaded Pockets

This is almost romantic :p

8. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

Cue the music..... :rolleyes_revamped:

ATB,
    Sam

9. PPCApache
    • In Omnia Paratus

PPCApache Banned

I finally had a scared reaction today to my EDC.

I was visiting a store and the Manager and I started talking about EDC as she saw my Skinth Plus sheath and wanted to have a look at the Setup. She said she loves the BG Gerber knives as she used to own one, I had mine that I got from Xiii in my Emergency kit in my Trolley bag, she asks to have a look at it.

After handing her the Knife she opens the folder like a pro, very confident and loves it, but the other girl was looking on like no way that's scary, the Manager says go on have a look at the knife and passes it to her, she handles the knife like it is a Brown Snake (very deadly snake here in WA) and was afraid that the shopping centre security would tackle her because she was holding it, she was very fast in giving back the knife.

It was very interesting and funny to see two totally different views on the same knife by the two girls... The Manager is a Kiwi (New Zealander) so very laid back attitude, while the other one was like No way, it's a knife, Ahh run for the hills!

Well that's my story for the day, cya.

[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

10. Lee Bradbury

Lee Bradbury Loaded Pockets

I have carried a knife since I was 10 years old when I was given a penknife for Xmas by my parents.
    In the UK we have the law that says the blade can't be longer than 3", can't be locked open nor can it be a flick-knife type of opener.

During the 80's I carried a lock-knife, when it was legal, but know I carry SAKs.....Leathermans are out as the blades can locked although I always had one when I was a Volunteer Firefighter.

I was in a local Starbucks a couple of years back when an old girl on the table next to be was having trouble opening a cellophane food wrapper.....something I find hard too!
    I offered to open it for her and pulled out a SAK Climber to cut it for her to which she responded "HE'S GOT A KNIFE!!!!" Happily her hubby piped up with "It's only a penknife for God's sake woman".

The only other times I've had a reaction was at Windsor Castle when I had to empty my pockets at the Security Point and the Guard called an armed Policeman over as I was 'armed'. Straight away I cited the fact it was UK legal, the Cop looked at it and said it was OK as long as I didn't 'pull it out and run amok' then laughed when I said my DSLR camera would make more of a weapon due to it's weight.
    The other time was at the Gathering of the Clans in Edinburgh a few years back when we (parents, wife and I) went into the Scottish Parliament and had to go through Security. Dad was 'relived' of his SAK whilst my, much longer and sharper, sgian dubh was handed back to me with the words "No Sir this is part of our national dress, you can keep that". Dad was a bit miffed but seeing he didn't wear a kilt then tough luck Daddy!!!

kd7dvd, SAKplumber, Gorbag and 14 others like this.
  11. Maximus-the-Professor

Maximus-the-Professor Loaded Pockets

I've carried a Microtech UMS for about 10 years. So, I've had all kinds of reactions, especially since it's an automatic (which is legal where I live), but it's amazing that people assume something is illegal if it makes them uncomfortable. My favorite reaction is when I use it to cut open a banana, people are always like: why do you need that!? And I'm like, well I hate when the part near the stem gets mushy when I peel it. Then they look at me like I'm crazy :frantic:

12. GatorMedic

GatorMedic Loaded Pockets

I always cut the top part of a banana off too cause I hate the mushy part! Thought I was the only one that did that lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. GatorMedic

I worked out of the same station yesterday as one of my coworkers who I know is a big EDC/knife nut so naturally I showed him the Benchmade 5000sbk Auto I just bought from the BST section. He fell in love with it. Of course that progressed to us whipping out all of our knives from our bags and vehicles to show each other. We both asked our partners what knives they carried, and we were both perplexed when they said neither of them carries a knife at all. My partner was a little taken aback with our knives and kept referencing them as weapons. To which I kept informing her that I use them as tools, not weapons. In any case, both of them stated they knew we carried knives so that meant they didn't need to carry one, they would just "get behind y'all if a scene turns violent". Later that day the other guy who doesn't carry a knife needed to cut off the hose on a DEF canister to fill up the ambulance. He obviously had to ask me to do it, and said "see I know you have one so I don't need one." I still can't believe those two medics don't carry a knife on them at least while on duty...

14. Maximus-the-Professor

Maximus-the-Professor Loaded Pockets

haha that's awesome! I thought I was the only one too. Everyone always gives me a hard time for doing it

Blair, MinistryOfTruth and Brtsmpsn like this.
  15. MinistryOfTruth
    • In Omnia Paratus

MinistryOfTruth Uber Prepared

Happened once, i was dj-ing at a private party and as a rule when i dont know the setup in a place or venue i keep my LM Wave in the backpack, should i need to trim a cable or deal with screws and duct tape.

The party was a joint b-day bash for two friends and when the traditional present opening commenced all gifts were carfully wrapped with tape, strings and whatnot. Instant trouble and no one offers any help so i discretely tell one of the hosts i have a pocket knife and offer it - with a happy "great, thanks" answer and a happy smile.
    He opens a package with the blade and someone goes "whoa!" in the crowd and the host points at me and makes this whole scene about my ethnic heritage and knife carry and bla bla bla. Everyone laughs nervously and the knife is used multiple times with repeated ethinc knife jokes and general awkwardness. Wildly inappropriate, he got nervous and we're cool now but a total duck-move on his part.
    But:
    Knife carry that is not for verifyable and reasonable specific use is illegal but seeing as i was working i brought it, and i used it on screws and cables.
    Should not have taken it out, the awkwardness came from a tool that is my responsability. I know better since basically everyone considers blades as weapons and people cannot be relied on to be cool or accepting, got excited i could offer a quick solution.
    I've never offered unsolicited cutting help since, i never carry a blade outside of work or hikes. Luckily no one called the police but i am now know as the guy with the knives in that circle, not in a positive way.

Its of course unrealistic for me to expect others share my view that a knife is a tool and not always a murder weapon, but it saddens me that the single most useful and widespread tool in human history has such a bad rep...

nr73, ALLHSS, Fukurai and 6 others like this.
  16. BubbaFett
    • In Omnia Paratus

BubbaFett Loaded Pockets

Man, I can't even imagine the level of fear people have for simple tools over there. I gotta give you guys across the pond respect for still carrying knives & other stuff as tools despite the kind of atmosphere and laws you have to work with. I have the benefit of a pretty casual attitude towards such things, don't know how I'd react were I from across the pond.

scbubba, Brtsmpsn and MinistryOfTruth like this.
  17. MinistryOfTruth
    • In Omnia Paratus

MinistryOfTruth Uber Prepared

Its not all that bad here after all, but it saddens me that fear is powerful enough to be considered to be a good reasonin and of itself.
    For me its natural, i grew up in the countryside, was a boy-scout and was raised with a general DIY trial and error mindset and tool saftey awareness. I see a knife and think about wheter or not i could use it for this or that. Other people seem to be raised to fear things they might hurt themselves on. I nearly cut my thumb off once at age 10 and was scared of knives for about 24 hours utnil i remembered i had some whittling to do :)
    The law makes sense to me, its designed so that a person who is carrying something inappropriate that they might hurt themselves or someone with can be disarmed and fined for abusing the object in question, but then again a person on a mission to hurt someone might be careful enough to fall through the cracks. It was formulated and introduced in the 80's here, at the height of panic over violence in fictional media, a time when people were seriously afraid that behind every corner were psycopaths and satanists with machetes fixing to sacrifice you and have blood orgies, and that hollywood and heavy metal music was to blame :D

Fukurai, scbubba and Brtsmpsn like this.
  18. GatorMedic

Because of course the people wishing to use knives as weapons to hurt/injure innocent folks will say "oh nevermind, I won't carry a knife today to kill that person because carrying a knife is illegal now". Not to mention that of course assault, battery, and murder (you know the Actual acts themselves) are illegal. I'm sure the fines will deter would-be murderers from attacking what they know to be law-abiding, now unarmed people... Baseball bats are used to kill people just as often as knives, oh the outrage that those are not banned as well! And don't get me started on the fact the government still allows these horrible knives to be used in kitchens, oh the horror!

19. Blair

Blair Loaded Pockets

"You keep all that stuff in your pockets and you DON'T have a condom on you?"

20. deeps

deeps Loaded Pockets

My Dad and I have always carried a SAK (he was in the RAF and is now 87, he can't remember a time he didn't carry). My Mum bought me my first SAK when I was 12, 30 years ago. I carry a Skeletool CX and a light now too.

My wife's family take the **** every time I take out any of my EDC gear, despite the fact that 99% of the time it's to help them out.

Not sure them openly laughing at me is a negative response, I could care less, but that's my 2c.

Brtsmpsn, Fukurai, angusW and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.