1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Awkward moments or negative responses from people while using your EDC

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by Kataklysmic, Apr 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. recklesstryg

recklesstryg Loaded Pockets

I was going thru Oakland International Airport with Multi-Key on my key on my key chain. I had got it thru Columbus just fine, but in Oakland they ran my bag thru twice then asked to search my bag. They looked at it for a minute then hesitantly opened it up. I was ready to say that they were just my keys and couldn't do any harm. They finally let me thru. No comments at all.

2. wilrader

wilrader Empty Pockets

I was. Though, to be fair, I HAVE used my knife to clean my nails before. But, in my defense, I did it in as nondescript way as possible and my nails were REALLY dirty. Disgustingly dirty! Any offense taken from the knife would have been far outweighed by my disgusting nails!

3. leon

leon Empty Pockets

Working in a Office enviroment where people mostly wear "preppy" clothes, brand shirts and sometime suits I often get comments like

• Are you expecting a war?
    • Head out to the forest?
    • armageddon coming?
    • nice purse
    • look, its Jack Bauer (that one makes me laugh)

this was just a small pick from everything I get... I'm never offended by anyones comments, when I whip out my camera and my HP mini and 2 cell phones they realize that I can carry more :censored: with me in my "small" bag in comparison with their "laptop" bags.

They all know I'm in to survival and photography... The computer is only in my EDC bag when I'm at work or in the city, otherwise it stays at home.

4. 3fgburner

3fgburner Loaded Pockets

I occasionally get a few moments of :eek: :eek: :eek: when I flip open the Kershaw. Or, one of our newer people here was saying she didn't feel happy about working late at night here. I suggested she get a pepper spray. First time I've ever heard the anti-gun "oh, I'd probably hit myself" reaction to OC. Then, she asked me why I carry one. I replied, "Because I can't have a gun in DC..."

Philippe C. likes this.
  5. dowtech

dowtech Loaded Pockets

Well, in my agency, luckily (so far) the worst I get is "going out into the field today, Dick?"

6. MattW

MattW Loaded Pockets

I must work with a different sort, or possibly they just realize that this knife-totin', gun nut is beyond being swayed by their weenie-jibber. Most often when the butterfly knife comes out(naturally with the flamboyant thwick-thwick-clack), it is greeted with a "cool!" or some such exclamation of approval... sometimes followed by a few manly grunts.

Bearded Wolf and Philippe C. like this.
  7. Frequency

Frequency Empty Pockets

For most office cutting tasks, or when I need a knife around people who might have an issue with it, my Leatherman Skeletool doesn't seem to cause too many issues so I use it for most jobs. However, my other EDC knife, an Emerson CQC-13 like this http://www.crocblades.com/knives/emerson-cqc-13-s-cqc-13-bt.cfm gets some serious looks and I have made the mistake of deploying it without considering the audience. That wasn't good.

8. Rocket Jones

Rocket Jones Empty Pockets

At work I'll reach for my SAK when people are around. If it's just me, then the folder comes out for bigger tasks.

9. Crash_Fistfight

Crash_Fistfight Loaded Pockets

I live in California, so anything that can be readily used as a stabbing weapon is prohibited. This basically means the cop can usually find SOMETHING on you that he can say is a dangerous weapon. Someday my Atwood Booger will probably get confiscated, but I just can't bring myself to take it off my keyring.

Really. What part of Calif. do you live in? I live in Calif. as well and am not aware of that rule.

How did the Disney folks know you had a knife on you? Ya sound a little worried about a whole lot of nothing, Bud!

10. Paracord Junky

Paracord Junky Loaded Pockets

couldn't agree more. In a very urban area anything bigger than a Vic Classic gets negative reactions, and sometimes they don't even like the Classic. "though if anyone complains about the Classic, i just pull out my Wave instead.)
    i also tend to limit my open use to a SAK. when i'm out and about, if i need to cut something or if i'm asked for a knife, i pull out my minichamp(task allowing it, of course).

;D ;D ;D

11. nemesis5656

nemesis5656 Loaded Pockets

its pretty funny when my dad gets all the looks and negative comments on a vic oht; when i edc a black tanto blur and a vic cadet and i never have gotten any comments on mine :shrug:

12. zenlunatic

zenlunatic Loaded Pockets

Guy in my class was asking me about my bag and he asked something like does it come filled. Told him filling it was up to me and that was the fun part. Looking back, I think he was meaning my attachment pouches since I have a few on my JUMBO.

I got attention of some of the guys, and found one carrys a benchmade knife and another carries pepper spray! Need to tell them about this site!

LOLPanda and Philippe C. like this.
  13. para-frame

para-frame Loaded Pockets

the law is for dirks, daggers, carrying a folder locked open or fixed blades concealed.

14. West Texas

West Texas Empty Pockets

It has to absolutely suck living and working with the people y'all work and live with.
    Day 2 of my new job...the CFO comes into my office...sees my Monsoon slung over my chair...says....How mags you carrying?
    I said, 1 and 4 spares....then he proceeds to tell me that I need a knife...anything bigger than 3 inches is showing off and any gun smaller than a compact will get me laughed at.

I love Texas!

Ethan459625 and Philippe C. like this.
  15. subrosa

subrosa Loaded Pockets

I work as a pro. nerd so I am expected to carry tools and solve problems. I quit carrying my Strider SnG as it was just asking for people to freak out.

I now carry a SAK Cybertool and BM Ritter mini-grip. The stonewash finish is more tool like. I do find it hilarious how the larger-then-necessary kitchen knife is ok, yet a small folder freaks people out.

So far no one in California has freaked out about folders, they laws are fairly open with regards to folders, the sucky part is each county has new laws that seem to change yearly.

16. lynnaea

lynnaea Empty Pockets

In my work as a lawyer, I attend hearings at the county courthouse. In Texas, even licensed concealed-carry permit holders are not allowed to bring firearms into a courthouse. Not a problem. I took my gun out of my purse beforehand.

What I did not remember to do was take out the small plastic case containing twelve Gold Dot 9mm jacketed hollow point rounds inside. So when I put my purse through the x-ray scanner, Toni the Security Guard stared wide-eyed at the monitor for a long moment and then asked incredulously (and loudly), "do you have bullets in your purse???"

The question took me by surprise and as I suddenly remembered that little plastic case, my boss and other attorneys looking on, I said slowly, "yeesssss...." I thought, oh, crap, am I about to be in trouble?

Thankfully, all I had to do was leave the offending ammunition in her custody. When I returned to retrieve it on my way out of the courthouse, she told me all about how her dad and her husband each have an extensive collection of exotic firearms.

What an icebreaker...

Philippe C. likes this.
  17. bleev

bleev Empty Pockets

I think it wise to be discrete in public when pulling out a larger knife but I also think it wise to practice and use your right to do so.

ChrisJ and Philippe C. like this.
  18. SarGeek

SarGeek Empty Pockets

Reading over some of the comments here I've got to say how much I love working in EMS. My co-workers know that I'm a geardo and have several flashlights and knives on my person but just think it's handy. I get good humored jokes once in a while but never any negative criticism. I've never had any issues with the public but the only times I have used a knife there were bigger issues (life or limb type situations) or I warned them ("I'm going to cut XYZ so we can open the door").
    I have chosen to use the blade on my letherman skeletool rather than my Emerson Mini-Commander because I didn't need such a large blade for that task and didn't want to draw attention to myself. Like it has been said discretion is important to being a successful EDCFer.

Philippe C. likes this.
  19. Scorpion Regent

Scorpion Regent Empty Pockets

I live and work in California.  I currently work as a automotive tech so I'm in a nuts and bolts environment.  The company I work for has no weapons allowed policy.  I have never had a problem with the folder I use at work.  The management all have some sort of folders because there are a lot of boxes to be opened on the retail side of things.  It's just a tool at work. If senior management were ever to tell me I could kill some one with my folder I would reply that I could kill some one a lot easier with a car and they trust me with plenty of those.
       I did a short stint as a school bus driver and the school district had a zero tolerance policy, and still does.  While I was training for the job one of my trainers noticed the pouch on my belt and asked, "Is that a knife?"  and I replied "It's a multi-tool, it does have a blade.  I consider it a tool."  He explained that it "technically" was in violation of the zero tolerance policy and I could get in a lot of trouble if I was caught with it, particularly if someone was looking for an excuse to get rid of me.  I could see that he considered it no threat, and more importantly me as no threat. Think very carefully the position of responsibility he was evaluating me for.  If you still don't get the picture remember how the original Dirty Harry movie ended.  I made a point of not wearing it to work from that day on and there were no problems. 
        I have a folder which has para-military look to it and I have cleaned my nails with it while driving to work, not the most responsible image.  I am more likely to open up my multi-too, Geber MP 600, and file down my nails. 
          I do historical re-enactment (SCA and the occasional Rennaisance fair) and every one there is armed to the teeth with blades.  No problems have ever occured because we are all responsible adults.  At fairs all paying guests, (the general public), are required to peace tie their blades.  The participants tend to tie down their blades as well unless they are performing.  Occasionally if some one wants to look at a sword it is policy to announce "steel coming out" before drawing a blade that way everyone knows to step back and say things like, "OOooh, pretty!"
           The SCA events have no written rules regarding blades that I am aware of, with the one exception that one does not approach royalty in court armed.  It is simply understood that blades are to be handled responsibly.  If someone wants do what we do, they play nice or they don't play at all, period.
         Dealing with local law enforcement on the way to and from events can be interesting.  Experienced officers know that we are responsible and have been doing this for decades and don't worry about us once we explain ourselves.  Every so often there is some prejudiced jerk or a rookie who looks at a car full of blades and other midevil implements of destruction and wants to call for back up.

20. BoxANT

BoxANT Empty Pockets

Back when I was a CNA in a hospital I always carried a Leatherman in my scrubs.

One day a Doc came to the nurses station and asked if anyone have a screw driver, everyone just gave a blank look. The closest thing to a "tool" anyone had was trauma sheers and a hemostat. Reluctantly (I really do not like borrowing my tools), I take out my LM and hand it to him and he says "Oh wow, you rock." The nurse next to me then says with surprise, "You carry a knife?!", to which I replied, "it's a multi-tool."

The next half hour was tense for me, I was worried that the doctor was not going to come back and I would be $80 poorer. Fortunately, I was returned with a "thank you" and that was that. Never heard anything about it.

Other than the odd, "why do you carry a knife?" and my favorite "you don't need that" (love it when people tell me what i don't need), I've never had a really negative experience.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.