1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Awkward moments or negative responses from people while using your EDC

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by Kataklysmic, Apr 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

They are here to, they're just not.

A few years ago, the blade show threatened to leave Atlanta because people kept getting fines at Terry stops in and around restaurants across a county line from the show where most things were illegal.

The state decided that the revenue from blade was enough and passed a state preemption with very simple laws.

So, they're still on the books as illegal a lot of places. The laws just aren't enforceable. I've had that conversation a time or two with cops. Fortunately, they've let me look up the relevant state laws on my phone and then just let me go, usually with a smile and a handshake...once with a "you better not stab anybody" warning. But, I think he was just having a bad day.

scbubba, Gilatabar, g_dan and 9 others like this.
  2. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

Wow. I had a run-in with a police officer years ago over a knife (bird & trout knife) that he determined "was made for one thing and one thing only - stabbing people". I don't think I could have shown him any laws! Fortunately, the knife had something printed right on it about its intended use. He backed down on that point and just generally lectured us about the evils of carrying knives.
    I've had other police officers tell me the knife I carry could not be longer than the width of my palm, which has never been a law in my state (or probably anywhere).

3. JHGM

JHGM Dinosaur Supervisor

I realize that 99% of LEO's aren't lawyers...

But if you're gonna stop/detain someone over an issue that you don't even know the statute on...

Ah, nevermind...

[​IMG]

4. kd7dvd
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

kd7dvd EDC Junkie!!!!!

Which is the big problem with the law code/police officer interface. You're only breaking the law (in Arkansas) if your knife is 3" or longer and you have intent to hurt someone. I have no doubt your knife was longer than that, and probably a fixed blade besides. But there's no law that positively permits you to carry such a thing--and there shouldn't need to be. But the lawbook is so thick that the officer can convince himself that there's a law in there somewhere after all...it's the prosecutor's job to figure out which one! SIgh.

When I win the lottery, I'm starting a legal fund.... :rolleyes:

5. UCChris

UCChris Loaded Pockets

I had a cop try and arrest me because possessing a handgun under 21 is illegal...

SMH - So not true; at least, not here in Utah.

6. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

Wow. Side note, one of the better shooters at my uspsa club is 16. One of the cops who regularly goes makes fun of his coworkers not going just because they can't stand for her to beat them. So, it's definitely legal here in some capacity.

Also, what does smh mean?

That reminds me of the "half plus four" rule in high school that a lot of people thought was a law. In most civilised places, the team answer is simple.

GA is one such place. Under 5", good to carry. 5" or more, and you need a weapons permit. There is no distinction of any kind made to the mechanism of opening or design. It's still unconstitutional, but at least it's simple.

7. smokingfish

smokingfish Loaded Pockets

I was sharpening my big fixed blade at work and a coworker asked what it was for, i said it was for the people who angered me. Lol the look they gave me.

scski44, vegassprky, scbubba and 9 others like this.
  8. Dorian
    • In Omnia Paratus

Dorian EDC Junkie!!!

Ok as a guy who owns and has carried swords around in several states without any issues other than, "cool can I see it?"
    I always am bemused by knife laws. It does help if you're dressed in correct period clothing for your sword though.

9. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

I wondered the same thing. According to a google search, it means "shaking my head", apparently more or less equivalent to this smilie: :nah_disagree:

10. UCChris

UCChris Loaded Pockets

SMH means shake my head.

Edit: Beat to it

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk

11. smokingfish

smokingfish Loaded Pockets

Yeah if I saw a dude wearing sweat pants and a hoodie sweater wielding a sword, I'd probably avoid him.

12. UCChris

UCChris Loaded Pockets

A little less of a condescending frown. More of a dejected, hopelessness in humanity.

:cry: + :nah_disagree: = SMH

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.