1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Awkward moments or negative responses from people while using your EDC

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by Kataklysmic, Apr 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kataklysmic

Kataklysmic Empty Pockets

I know any true EDC guy has had those moments where ******* had to say something or had moments where people were like "***?"

Sometime in February at my job I was putting something into this guys Hummer and it wouldn't fit with the box, So I pull out my Byrd Cara Cara tactical Black SS model.

The guy who is the father of a girl who works at my job says "WOW YOU CAN HURT SOMEBODY WITH THAT, THATS LIKE A DEER SKINNING KNIFE"

I thought to myself "I can hurt somebody with many things"

SunwolfNC, Iragon, TKDstomper and 5 others like this.
  2. WillCAD

WillCAD Loaded Pockets

Once, many years ago, I used my pocket knife to trim a piece of paper from a new roll going into a plotter. The knife I was EDCing at the time was a Beretta large folder, a rather impressive clip-point lockback with a blade about 3.5"

[​IMG]

In the print room at the time was a girl who worked in my department. She saw the knife and got a look of abject terror on her face.

"What's that?!" she chocked.

"My pocket knife. I've had it for years. It's a great little knife."

"That's a weapon," she said, with absolute authority.

"No, it's a tool."

"No," she said, with more confidence than ever, "it's a weapon. You shouldn't be carrying that. Weapons are not allowed in the office."

"Um, okay, try telling that to the other 50 or more people who carry pocket knives in this office."

A few weeks later I had my 6-month review, and one of the categories on the formal review document was "Attention to workplace safety." When we got to that category, my supervisor asked me for my self-rating, and I gave myself a 5 out of 5, because I tend to be a stickler for office safety. "You don't think there are any things you do that are unsafe?"

"No," I replied, "I am always careful with equipment and security, I pay close attention to fire safety, I even make sure the corridors are clear of obstructions."

"What about carrying your pocket knife on your belt?"

I think my jaw physically hit the floor at that. I sputtered a bit, and the gist of the conversation was that she ordered me to stop carrying my knife on my belt. I was MAD... but I didn't press the issue, having only been with the company for 6 months. I'm sure that the girl who made such a fuss about it in the print room had later gone to our supervisor and made some kind of complaint about the "weapon" I carried.

But I did cheat a little. The object on my belt was not my knife - that rode in my pocket - but was actually a multitool. I stopped carrying my multitool on my belt, but still carried the Beretta in my pocket. Nobody else ever noticed, and a few months later, both the girl who made the complaint and our supervisor had left the company, so the issue left with them and has never resurfaced.

3. matts2

matts2 Loaded Pockets

Quite more likely, your supervisor actually saw the thing on your belt. The real problem here is not the complaint, but that she did not make it much sooner. If she thought it was not safe then it was bad judgment on her part to allow it to continue.

4. wcy

wcy Loaded Pockets

I am fortunate that I don't work in a courthouse or government building.
    There is no shortage of the weenies that have phobic responses to tools.
    For a long time, my edc pocketknife was a Spyderco CoPilot. Even that little knife got strong responses.
    "Why do you carry that?!?"
    "To cut things."
    "No, really, why do you have that?"
    "To...cut...things."
    Something would click in their head, "Oh."
    Calm always won the day.
    What one carries in an non-permissive environment is a subject I won't deal with. I make sure that my knife is legal by local standards.
    If the work environment has a written policy, I may not use the knife at work, but I rarely am without one. I don't "flick" blades open, but that doesn't matter to the phobic responders.
    I have had a variety of negative responses in my career. The negatives stop quickly, simply because the knife is too darn useful. Patterns developed.
    When I have gotten the "That's a weapon!" response from a coworker/supervisor, I was usually able to give an amused snort of derision and disbelieving shake of the head.
    "Weapon? Really? You must think some pretty dark thoughts." or "Guess I won't turn my back on you in the kitchen." And if they kept pushing it, they got the head shake and, "You must live in fear."
    I've had other coworkers give the "weapon" declaration. I've nodded and said, "Yeah, well anything can be a weapon, right now this is solving this problem."
    I've never had it get pushed much further than that. They've always agreed with the tool assessment and often would call on me later to fix stuff.
    Having a very sharp knife has ironically won over the fearful. They seem to respect it. I especially enjoyed times when somebody has a "freak" at the sight of the knife, and then immediately goes "Wow!" as the blade completes a task with scalpel like ease.
    "Gee that's really sharp!"
    "Yep, not much good to me unless it is."
    "Yeah, I guess so."
    Upper management never put on pressure because, quite simply, my increased productivity helps the company's bottom line.
    One of my favorite workplaces didn't mind my having an old straight razor at my desk. I would use it to open the mail/packages.
    I think I have had more converts than anything else, even though they may have initially had a negative response.
    But the determined phobic weenies? They can't be reasoned with.

WillCAD,
    Thanks for posting the pic of the old soldier! It obviously has quite a history with you.

5. wmcamp0

wmcamp0 Loaded Pockets

Well to throw my hat in this ring is only fair. My current edc is a first gen. Emerson Raven. I have been carrying for a month or so now. During the day I have the privilege of working for an institute of higher learning. (Go Cats!) As luck would have it, I was in my Deans office working on some stuff for him, and he asked me to open a box. His jaw about hit the floor when i snapped the Raven open. I just smiled and asked was everything ok? He just looked at me and said: "I am just glad you work for us, and not against us." Not rightly sure what that meant, but I got a good laugh when i walked out of the office.

Tony Sal and Philippe C. like this.
  6. RGNY

RGNY Empty Pockets

the negative comments i get usually relate to price.

people think i'm crazy for spending over $10 for a knife/light/etc.

"that's just a waste of money."

they really just don't get 'quality'.

Tony Sal, Iragon, Ethan459625 and 6 others like this.
  7. Kataklysmic

I had a few people ask me

"Have you ever stabbed anybody?"

I just look at them like they're stupid, what kind of question is that? :rofl:

8. Kataklysmic

Basically the Dean train of thought must have been on all the school shootings and since people basically consider knives weapons.

He probably at the moment viewed you as a person that could possibly kill and do all that kind of stuff.

Tony Sal likes this.
  9. El Verbo

El Verbo Empty Pockets

My standard EDC pocket knife is my SOG Trident Tanto. We were at a party and I was helping a friend pour out bags of ice into tubs for beer. She was trying to tear open the bag with her nails, when I whipped out the SOG and flipped it open (with the SOG assisted technology), and she was awed! As I ran the blade down the length of the bag effortlessly, she looked at me as if I used a sledgehammer to kill a fly.

10. Stutoffee

Stutoffee Loaded Pockets

Only the other day, someone at work asked "Why do you carry all THAT?"
    (Meaning the light & Multi-tool in my bag!)

Well, it gets dark EVERY single day, so the light could be handy & I use the Multi-tool ALL the time (mostly scissors & screwdrivers which wouldnt be easy to carry safely/securely if NOT on a multitool).

Funnily enough, this same idiot asked me afew days later "Have you got your Leatherman that I can use?"

NOPE!!

"I thought you had one in your bag?"

YEP

"Ah right, can I use it?"

NOPE.

11. millhouse

millhouse Loaded Pockets

I think I might start doing that. I have a flashlight and 2 multi tools in my bag. When I use them, I tend to get some quite negative comments. It is these same people that then ask to borrow the tools and when they use it, it is quite ok :brickwall:.

SunwolfNC, wildborego and billybatson like this.
  12. jujigatame

jujigatame Loaded Pockets

One particular time at work I had to move a pallet of copy paper and the boss said she then wanted all the reams out of the boxes and moved somewhere else, so I had to cut those reinforced plastic straps off of 50 boxes. I had my SE Endura on me and that's what I used. Boss walked by where I was doing this work, saw the knife and said "You can't use that!" I asked what else she would have me use and she said "I'll get something from my desk." She came back a minute later with a box cutter just like the one shown below. I said "That thing is cheaply made and dangerous, I absolutely will not use it when I have a stronger, safer tool at my disposal." She gave me a bit of an odd look, then said "Alright" and walked off

[​IMG]

rongallant, STLmo and Philippe C. like this.
  13. EDCIowa

EDCIowa Loaded Pockets

My current EDC is a Gerber 800 on my belt, a Wharcom IWB SOB, and a ZT 0301 wherever I can stick the sow. I have had a few :censored: make comments but in those times I just shrug and smile... It is good to be the Boss!!

14. rdb

rdb Empty Pockets

Once at a work lunch gathering I started using my 2.75" Buck folder to cut up an apple. Coworkers gave me odd looks and one even told me "You could kill someone with that." I just shrugged, went to a drawer in our kitchenette area in the lunch room and took out the 8" chefs knife we have to cut bagels etc... with and started using it. Believe it or not the one that made the comment was actually relieved I had a "kitchen" knife instead. . .

15. Kataklysmic

LMAO it's all how people associate things with.

A kitchen knife/ Butcher knife even though they have an edge is ingrained in the minds of millions of people as a household item thats used to help us cut food and make life easier.

An 8'' blade obviously will penetrate more than a 2.75'' blade yet sheep don't see it that way.

A kitchen knife to sheep is acceptable even though I can easily kill you with it, yet a Folder is dangerous lmao. :shrug:

Philippe C. likes this.
  16. tacdrivrnc

tacdrivrnc Loaded Pockets

Back when I was in management I carried various Spydercos depending on my mood, pants or shorts, or if I was in a hurry and just grabbed "whatever"...but my favorite of all is my Spyderco Military. So, I'm checking inventory on a pallet and have to cut the plastic straps to do a quick check of the top boxes to make sure someone didn't wiggle an item out. One of the employees walks by "Jeesh, that's a big knife...why do you need something like that?!"
    My response: "Because most things in this world don't automatically come with zippers" ;D

17. Kataklysmic

LMAO

The military blade length is only like 4'' good grief.

Philippe C. likes this.
  18. chmsam

chmsam Loaded Pockets

Once had a friend just about shriek and then ask why I had to carry "such a vicious weapon" -- a Victorinox Classic. I was just plain dumbfounded.

19. sim

sim Empty Pockets

A while back I had a subcontractor for my customer in getting some fasteners. I went to the shelf location and whipped out my Benchmade 530 that I was carrying at the time. His response was "You must have grown up in a rough neighborhood." I think it was more of a comment on how I easily handled the knife than the knife itself.

I thought it was funny.

Steve

Philippe C. likes this.
  20. SlipStream

SlipStream Loaded Pockets

When on holiday, someone asked me to cut a tag off a shirt as we sat looking over what we had just bought (she knew I always carried a leatherman micro on my keychain). Without thinking, I whipped out my gerber paraframe II 3.5".

[​IMG]

"oh my god, why do you carry that?!?"

It hadn't really clicked that my edc knife could be viewed as a weapon. I've since switched to a less lethal-looking knife for edc ^_^

Philippe C. likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.