1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Awesome fix for your stinky shoes, for FREE!

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by MikeySnyder, Sep 20, 2010.

1. MikeySnyder

MikeySnyder Loaded Pockets

Hey Guys,

I just wanted to share an interesting little tip i found, thanks to my girlfriend.... This is for all you guys that go tromping through water and puddles, soaking your shoes, and end up with them smelling like a mildew factory.

She woke me up the other morning to knocking over my glass of water, straight into my shoes! haha! I wasn't too worried. They're Salomon trail-runners with Gore-Tex, so they're nice and water proof. Dumped the water out and dried em out, good as new.... Or so i thought..... Then the right shoe started to stink really bad! And i'm not the stinky feet kinda guy, and it wreaked of mildew from the one shoe. So after ALOT of google'ing i found a really neat fix.

FREEZE THEM!

I wrapped them in a Safeway bag, and left them in the freezer over night, then just let em air dry!

This works because bacteria cannot withstand the cold, so when you freeze it it dies!

You have no idea how happy i was to have my favorite pair of kicks back in commission!

2. aphex2k

aphex2k Loaded Pockets

Well... Nearly.

Freezing will make the bacteria kind of hibernate. It doesn't kill it. Bacteria can still grow at temps as low as 28f. Once the shoes are back at room temps, it will warm up and start to grow again. They might smell OK for a day, but will quickly stink.

As for a definitive answer. Hard to say, there's so many ways people advise. One that works for me is to remove the footbeds and soak them in a biological washing powder. Allow them to air dry. Clean the inside and outside of the shoes with a warm water, soft bristle brush and leave to dry in the sun. Something to do with UV killing bacteria. Obviously this will not be that effective for the inside of the shoes. But still, let them dry, replace the foot beds and next time you wear them, dry a smartwoool or merino sock and use some Athletes foot powder. I use on called Mycota.

3. hardcider75

hardcider75 Loaded Pockets

My Dad told me that Desert Sage helps control foot odor. Start by boiling it, kinda like you're making tea, and then set it aside to cool. Soak your feet in it for a while, then scrub your feet with a small brush; i.e. a fingernail brush. Then rinse with regular water.

4. OccamsRazor

OccamsRazor Empty Pockets

I work in a lab that has 5 -80c freezers. maybe Ill drop off some of my gear and see how it works! Dont think they would be to pleased with me though

5. MikeySnyder

MikeySnyder Loaded Pockets

Dang! You were right! HAHA! Oh well, it helped while they were sleeping.... Guess ill break out the chemicals on them soon. Im also probably going to replace the foot beds, theyre slightly breaking down anyways!

6. brizbane

brizbane Loaded Pockets

I have used OxyClean in a pail of very hot water, rinsed well a coupla times and then dryed em in the sun. That should bring them back to life. I have used this method on lots of stuff and it really works well.

7. fallow

fallow Loaded Pockets

I've got a few pairs of these, and I wear them without socks, so they tend to stink up pretty quickly.

http://lifebrisbane.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/img1-large1.jpg

I soak them in washing machine pre-soak stain remover, or if I don't have the time, a mix of talc, bicarb sprinkled in the shoe keeps em fresher than usual.

8. DemskeetSkeet

DemskeetSkeet Loaded Pockets

I love walking around barefoot but most of the time it's through dirt or small rocks. Do these protect your feet from rocks/jagged edge items?

What are they called?

How much?

Custom fit?

And lastly how much?

Thank you so much for sharing.

BTT: I used baking powder and the power of the sun.

9. fallow

fallow Loaded Pockets

I love walking around barefoot but most of the time it's through dirt or small rocks. Do these protect your feet from rocks/jagged edge items? it stops your foot getting cut up, but you can feel almost everything. Keep that in mind, it's supposed to be the barefoot experience.

What are they called? Vibram Five Fingers

How much? Depends on the model and where you buy them

Custom fit? You do have to use their sizing guide, and measure this very carefully.

And lastly how much? Again depends where you get them, REI has em cheap $80

http://www.rei.com/search?query=fivefingers&button.x=0&button.y=0

Thank you so much for sharing. No worries :)

10. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

I've heard Feelmax shoes (?) are also almost like walking barefoot.