1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Autopoint Pencils

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by thatotherguy, May 23, 2014.

1. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

I recently got two pencils from Autopoint, and I honestly love them. They seem to be high quality and the leads are buttery smooth (for me). Mine are the Jumbo All-American and the Twinpoint in black and red, both in 0.9mm lead.
    Now, down to business. I mentioned in another thread that I had received the Twinpoint broken. There was a crack in the red plastic ferrule along the mold line, and with use and carry the crack would worsen and eventually that side would be unusable. I contacted Autopoint, and after a second try (I believe with a different method than with the "contact us" on their site) they replied quickly and courteously asking for details on the problem and saying they would send a replacement. That was just a few days ago and I got a replacement red tip assembly in the mail today with a nice handwritten apology note and a pack of red leads.
    So, in the end, I would recommend Autopoint pencils for retro style large lead mechanical pencils (and they're made in America if that is a concern for you, as it is for me). Good products and good customer support.

docer likes this.
  2. Lightleak

Lightleak Loaded Pockets

+1, I have too recently discovered them while looking for a nice 0.9 pencil. Ordered 4 of the simple black ones and have not used many other pens/pencils since then. As well as having a wonderful, somehow "vintage" look and feel to them, they work and write very well.
    0.9 is such a great lead size, I have no idea why so few manufacturers produce pencils with it. For writing, I would not want to go thinner than 0.9 or 1.1mm .

thatotherguy likes this.
  3. flatline

flatline Loaded Pockets

It's interesting how preferences vary from person to person. 0.3mm and 0.4mm pencils are my preference for writing. 0.5mm is tolerable, but forces me to adjust my writing a bit to accommodate the width. However, I am totally in love with 0.9mm leads for sketching and my Kakuro puzzles.

--flatline

Lightleak and thatotherguy like this.
  4. thatotherguy

I'm used to writing with 0.5mm lead and still do for some things (compact notes being one) but I'm growing to love the 0.9mm leads in my Autopoints. As long as I rotate the pencil every few words it writes like a never dulling perfect wooden pencil tip. I find that I like the Twinpoint's thickness in the grip area more than the Jumbo, cleans up my writing a bit with the thick (for me) leads.
    I need to order extra black leads, maybe I'll grab some 1.1mm pencils while I'm at it.

5. cowsmilk

cowsmilk EDC Junkie!!!!!

@thatotherguy

I want to personally thank you for this thread. It got my curiosity aroused enough to look up the website. What I found solved something I've been curious about for some time. Where did my grandfather get those awesome automatic pencils?

Here is a picture of a pencil that was his but now is mine. It's an American Standard Autopoint. He has several of these that he no longer uses, and I have that one with extra lead and erasers. I do not know how old it is, but it is almost as old as I am. It's at least 30 years old, maybe even older. Notice in the picture how much the erasers cost and the lead cost as well, just for reference. These are really nice pencils, and now I know where to get more. The lead is fairly thick, but I don't know whether it is 0.9 or 1.1mm lead as the tube is not marked.
    [​IMG]

As I only have a limited amount of lead, I was saving it for sentimental reasons. Now that I know where to find more, I can use it at will.

Thanks so much.:)

6. docer
    • In Omnia Paratus

docer Loaded Pockets

Yeah thanks for this. I recently realized I'm not a "pen guy" and on a whim picked up a cheap 0.9mm mechanical pencil. I loved it and I knew i needed a nicer one and had no idea where to start.This thread took me to exactly what i didn't know i wanted.

I love this forum.

thatotherguy likes this.
  7. flatline

flatline Loaded Pockets

It gets even better once you quit using the cheap scratchy lead that came with the pencil and replace it with some quality lead.

I've invested some in fountain pens and space pens and they each have uses that they are perfect for and I enjoy them very much, but when push comes to shove, it's my pencils that I reach for.

--flatline

docer and thatotherguy like this.
  8. dalewa

dalewa Loaded Pockets

I have told this story in another thread over a year ago.
    When I was in the eighth grade (45 or so years ago) my grandfather (pawpaw) would buy Monsanto fertilizer and a free gift was an Autopoint pencil.
    I still have it and it works great.
    It is more a great memory than a pencil.

9. thatotherguy

@cowsmilk
    Well, I have an imperfect knowledge of these pencils... but I may be able to help a little.
    Your pencil is a 0.9mm pencil. The steel tip has a single line around it, which denotes that it used 0.9mm lead, which Autopoint used to call "real-thin" lead. 1.1mm pencils did not have this ring, rather they just have a plain tip. The same system is used today. Prior to the use of the ring, the pencils were unmarked if they used "standard" 1.1mm leads and marked something along the lines of "For Real-Thin Lead" for 0.9mm. (information gleaned from history sites whose names slip my mind at the moment)
    I had no idea that this thread would bring about memories for members, but I'm glad I was able to help :)

docer and cowsmilk like this.
  10. cowsmilk

cowsmilk EDC Junkie!!!!!

0.9mm lead. Thanks for that info. I don't know how old this tube of lead is, but I don't think I'll be purchasing it for $0.25 per tube anymore.:)

docer and thatotherguy like this.
  11. thatotherguy

If you get into it, the history of the company and their relationship with the other major American pencil companies (Dur-O-Lite and Eversharp) is quite fascinating.

docer likes this.