1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Auto OTF knife

Discussion in 'Knives' started by garza, May 26, 2018.

1. Rebel

Rebel Loaded Pockets

It is not a valid comparison in the sense they're totally different designs, it's just a comparison in the sense of how useful two knives of similar size are. To me, OTF autos are pretty much single-purpose knives. I think they're interesting and cool and all that, but they're just not as useful as a strong locking folder. So what I meant was if you are going to carry a good knife and you want to pick one that is broadly useful, not only as a self-defense tool like an OTF auto, and which is nearly as fast to deploy, then I think the Military is a great option. Great balance, many choices of steels, big aftermarket selection of handles, a strong lock that makes the knife very easy to open and close one handed, and a thicker and stronger blade than most OTFs.

My autos stay in the drawer but I EDC a Military. In the back pocket of my suit!

If I derailed the topic I apologize. I was just trying to suggest a more useful alternative to Garza, and I think he was ok with it.

yo mama likes this.
  2. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

Personally, if I wanted a quick opening knife, I'd go with a waved Spyderco. They open as you pull them out of your pocket and have the security of a more traditional lock-up. They also have the advantage of being far cheaper that a good auto.

To test the effectiveness of the wave opener, simply install a ziptie through the hole of a Syderco blade, pull it tight, clip the tag, and position the stub so that it sticks out perpendicular to the spine. If this description is unclear, do a Google Image search for the term "ziptie wave".

There are also waved Kershaw and Emerson knives (Emerson having developed the wave), but both those companies pair the wave function with a liner or frame lock knife, which is not very lefty-friendly, if that is a consideration.