1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Auto OTF knife

Discussion in 'Knives' started by garza, May 26, 2018.

1. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

my son is asking for an auto out the front knife. It is legal for him to carry in our state. He has been carrying my Buck 110 auto but he wants a smaller pocket carry OTF.

Any suggestions for under $200? I personally do not like the OTF style and prefer a side opening auto.

2. Six String

Six String Loaded Pockets

I have these 2 autos, Microtech Troodon OTF and Benchmade something or other. Both are very well built knives, IMO. The Troodon would be over your budget but it’s a very solid knife that has worked flawlessly for several years now. The Benchmade would be well under your budget and is also a very solid knife. I think OTFs are more “finicky”, or so I’ve heard.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

garza likes this.
  3. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

For an economical side opening auto knife, how about the Boker Kalashnikov? Or the Boker Plus Strike? Both come in a variety of handle colors; variety of blade styles; variety of steel; coated and uncoated blades. Street pricing around $40 -- see Blade HQ as one example. (I'm a customer, not an employee.)

I have a Kalashnikov; fires open; came nicely sharp.

Plenty of reviews on YouTube etc to look at.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

garza likes this.
  4. Lateck

Lateck Loaded Pockets

I have 2 OTF's and I am a little skeptical as to the value of their usage, small thin blades and their track system. 1 is a Microtech Ultratech which is around $270 and a clone by Bear and Sons around $200.
    As others have said, side winders are superior for usage (my opinion) of which I have 5 or so.
    Lateck,

5. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

What’s the story? Showing off, or actual usage? No judgement here.

Sent from my Glade Air Freshener

6. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

Probably a little of both. September 2017 that style became legal for him to conceal carry.

7. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

Good double action OTFs don’t come cheap. An Ultratech would set you back about 250+. Problem is, you want something reliable. A shame if you brag and the blade fails.

IMHO the 200 price point is not ideal. Rather grab a cheap AKC for fifty bucks (be aware of the size) or save up a little more until you got the money for an Ultratech.

8. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

I may have to spend more for the gift. I have a side opening auto and have had absolutely no issues. I have do some beautiful butterfly knifes which are also legal to carry.

Several sites offer options for neck carry for both OTF and side opening.

9. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

Not my business and I don’t wanna cross a line here. But if he wants an OTF, that’s what the heart wants. And then he wants a double action, for he show.

There are some cheap options out there. But if it should last, you might wanna bite the bullet and go Ultratech. Check some of the popular sites, you maybe in luck and they have a sale.

10. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

I would never give me son a cheaply made knife that could cause an injury which an OTF knife is more than capable of with a malfunction. If he had wanted a side opening auto, there are several good options for less money. He is currently carrying my Buck 110 auto.
    I have purchased knifes which were more expensive because I wanted the knife for my collection given the design or material. The Buck 110 auto was purchased because I still have my Buck 110 from 1982. I will probably just up the my price point so he can keep the knife 36 years like my original Buck 110.

11. Yablanowitz

Yablanowitz Loaded Pockets

If he really has his heart set on one, you might as well buy a cheap one. I've handled quite a few, including some expensive name brands like Benchmade and Microtech, and they have all had enough slop in the blade to move them from "serious knife" to "fun toy" on my list. My cheap Lightning OTF is as solid as the Benchmade Infidels that I've handled.

12. Adam Ng

Adam Ng Loaded Pockets

The novelties will pass or the knife will fails, which ever come first. Buy cheap and have a hard use folder as back up.

13. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

Its interesting to read the different approaches.

That Movie Guy likes this.
  14. Rebel

Rebel Loaded Pockets

I have a Microtech and they are really beautiful knives. But a Spyderco Military opens quick enough one-handed and has a much stronger blade and more usable grip. I am no expert but to my view the autos are really not any quicker than a good thumbhole knife and they might be finer finished or more interesting but they're just not as functional. OTF autos seem really like a niche for stuff most of us don't want to ever have to get into. A side-opener can be functional as well as cool but again I am just more comfortable with less mechanism and more simplicity.