1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Australian Border Force customs inspection of Lumintop Prince Copper flashlight

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by Fire Fighter, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Fire Fighter

Fire Fighter Loaded Pockets

So my new, and greatly anticipated, Lumintop Prince Copper flashlight (torch) finally arrived in the post. Needless to say the craftsmanship and quality far exceeded my expectation. 10/10. What I did find interesting is that the package, from Hong Kong, was opened by customs. Inside they left a folded note (see photo) which stated in part:

"The Australian Border Force found nothing of concern in your parcel or letter and did not remove any items."

Further they did not feel the need to open the plastic foil seal that protected the copper on the flashlight from oxidization. There was no 18650 battery within the parcel. These I separately ordered locally.

I have no problems with customs opening the parcel as they do a great job. This is first time I have had any parcel or package opened by customs. Anyone else had any experience with customs?

[​IMG]

2. Fragarach

Fragarach Loaded Pockets

Had them return a chainsaw to amazon, reordered, sent to a mate in the states, bar separated and it sent as two packages.
    Arrived just fine the second time.

steeps and Fire Fighter like this.
  3. Fire Fighter

Earlier this year I had to take my mum to Melbourne Airport to catch a flight for a holiday interstate. We went through security into the controlled section and I was required to do a pocket dump for screening. I dumped my pocket contents into the tray and watched in horror as the tray was slid away by security into the x-ray machine. I had completely forgotten about my two bladed SAK. The tray failed the inspection and was put aside for examination. An airport security officer took the tray for examination and was told by the officer on the x-ray machine to "check the bottle opener for an edge." I watched as the airport security officer picked up my Nite-Ize Doohickey and examined it with a gloved hand for an edge. Satisfied it was blunt I was handed my tray and contents and given back the Doohickey. I was then instructed to keep moving. I was stunned.

Below is what I was carrying in my pocket and was part of the pocket dump. (Flashlight and pouch not included as these arrived today). Go figure.

[​IMG]

4. Fragarach

Fragarach Loaded Pockets

I've taken my sak through cbr airport security 6 times with no issue. Went through xray. On the 7th time they pinged on it. I asked :censored:... I've been through 6 times and you should have seen the look of pure panic.
    Not worth the headache. I make sure I am metal free except for 1 car key and phone if I'm flying now. Everything else can be walked through the metal detector in my pockets or gets checked. Got sick of taking boots off. Belt etc.

WillAdams and Fire Fighter like this.
  5. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

Canadian customs is a bit bizarre. When I moved from Florida to Alberta, I moved by US mail. 33 large boxes sent parcel and 3 small ones with important stuff sent priority. They opened all three priority, so most of the parcels got there faster. I used things like clothing as packaging around fragile stuff. In one priority box I'd used unmentionables. No note in that box. Only parcel they opened was one that rattled. It had a pepper grinder in it. I could have shipped an atom bomb without them noticing it.

Sent by owl post.

Water-Rat and Fire Fighter like this.
  6. Fire Fighter

Pepper is used to mask the scent of illicit drugs so drug sniffer dogs are also trained to sniff out pepper. The parcels are generally laid out flat and the drug dog runs along and sniffs all parcels. As such it would not have been the rattle but the peppercorn.

downbad, jag-engr and Water-Rat like this.
  7. Fire Fighter

Got done this week in a boots inspection at the Prothonotary office of the Supreme Court of Victoria. I like stitched leather boots with a Goodyear welt. Seems the metal bar in the sole of my boots is not liked by metal detectors.

8. Boyscout84

Boyscout84 Loaded Pockets

Had my thrunite ti4 light from HK, opened by Sydney customs recently actually. Coincidentally, I put my briefcase through the metal detector or xray conveyor belt at the local court a few years ago without thinking what I had in there (containing a spyderco bug and resqme on my keys, a 5" prybar, medical shears, an uzi tactical pen, and 2 leathermans (a squirt and sidekick) - and was waved inside no problem!

Fire Fighter likes this.