1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Atwood Weasel quick review/photos

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by stillphoto, Nov 2, 2006.

1. stillphoto

stillphoto Loaded Pockets

Figured I'd share my thoughts and some pics of this great little creation from Peter. Plus if you stick around till the end, you get to see another cool Atwood toy that isn't mine (but I wish one was!).

First off picture time, here's the overall shot:
    [​IMG]

In hand for a size approximation, then on a matchbox for a sense of scale:
    [​IMG] 
    [​IMG]

Whats nice about this knife is the size...With sheath, it comes in at just about 3.5 inches long. This is perfect for riding along in the coin pocket of my jeans. The paracord sticks out enough so that I can grab it and pull it out leaving the sheath behind if I wish. It can also be tucked in to be even more unobtrusive. It's a perfect execution of a knife that is totally out of the way until you need it, and trust me, I've found myself going out of my way to cut things for people while they scramble to produce their various keychain knives...

Showing off the really cool grinds Peter employed on this little guy:
    [​IMG]

Finish wise, Peter went with a brushed look which will be easy to maintain as this knife gets used, and used it will be. The hollow grind on the chisel side has sort of a matte finish to it, a nice clean diffused look that hides the "grain" of the steel and provides a nice contrast.

The big bonus here for me is that the chisel grind is sharpened on both sides, which I've found usually isn't the case. For me , its a lot easier to get both sides going than just the one...at least angle wise... Let me tell ya, this thing came from its maker nice and sharp, but after a little sharpmaker session, this thing got crazy sharp.The S30V must be to blame...Now I have two favorite steels that are easy to sharpen and retain their ouch factor...S30V and 154CM.

Even though the cutting edge itself is only about an inch and a half, this thing slices/cuts like much bigger knives. It only dulls when I try to cut something that I probably shouldn't be using this knife on (such as repetitive "grooving" of a piece of lexan)...amazing how cutting a hard, flat surface will wear down a sharp piece of metal  :D :-X

In hand:
    [​IMG]

The design allows for a slip-free grip, which always inspires confidence in using. Nothing worse than worrying about blade slippage during usage (as with some box cutters). My only overall gripe is that the metal (which is 3/32 of an inch thick) is a bit thin for my large fingers. Still totally easy and comfortable to use, but if another came along that was thicker...oh boy would I be grabbing that!

Overall, I've actually carried this every day for the past two weeks or so, instead of my other edc knives (mini grip, anso necker, wt necker). It's a knife I don't have to worry about screwing up during usage. No moving parts, no delicate finish, not made of unobtanium or other rare metals, its a true worker. I think I like that the most about the weasel. Just a great looking, hard working, easy to maintain knife.

As always, hats off to Peter!  :thumbsup:

Bonus time!

Now for a very cool little piece. This is the Atwood Ti-Tool:

[​IMG]
    Hi-Voltage pattern Ti in a beautiful deep blue..this pattern has some depth to it for sure!

Size comparison :
    [​IMG]

Very simple, very light, just the single screwdriver/pry tip...truly an Atwood toy for the masses...Definitely would ride on my keys easier than a prybaby...but I'll never know. This will be another new member to someones edc family very soon! I should say, this will be the second new member of an edc'ers family dressed in blue within the last two weeks!

2. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

Both of those are very cool!!!

3. gadgetjunky

gadgetjunky Loaded Pockets

Very slick! I love little wharncliffe blades. O0

4. Virgo

Virgo Empty Pockets

Nice! I was admiring that Weasel on the website, and wondered where it went.
    Every blade I've gotten from Peter was nice and sharp. I ran my drop-point Booger through the Sharpmaker, and like you said, it became SCARY sharp :)

5. white_feather

white_feather Loaded Pockets

I want that Weasel, let me know if you ever want to sell it.

6. loveit

loveit Uber Prepared

Great review!  That is a cool looking little knife-- I am glad that you're liking to use it!  The blue titanium tool too is cool!  Thanks for the post!

O0

7. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

Great review!! That is a very cool little knife!

8. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

How does the Weasel compare in size to the Booger? I've been considering buying a Booger...

9. mikeymoto

mikeymoto Loaded Pockets

Is there a purpose for the hole at the top of it, near where your thumb rests when in use?

PS I like Wharnies too!

10. stillphoto

stillphoto Loaded Pockets

As far as how it compares in size to the booger, I'm not quite sure. If the comparative info isnt on Peter's site, just ask him, he'd be the best on that topic i think :) .

That hole is strictly for decorative purposes...think eye of the weasel...