1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Atwood Prybaby Questions

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by Dave568, Apr 6, 2006.

1. Dave568

Dave568 BST/Marketplace ban

I am mainly posting this here because I need someone to help me justify purchasing one of these fine little tools. I already EDC a Leatherman Charge xTI, so I don't have any use for the screwdriver/bottle opener aspects of the prybaby, so my only reason for really needing one would be for prying things. What I want to know is how well this little tool is really able to pry. It seems like it is too small to be able to really be *that* useful for prying. So, I was hoping that some of you here that own a prybaby (or something similar, such as the bug out bar), could share some experiences you have had with your prybaby that might make my decision a bit easier. ;)

Also, if anyone has any pics of a prybaby or similar tool in hand, I would love to see them for a size comparison.

Thanks.

2. rscanady

rscanady Empty Pockets

I use mine as a bottle opener, staple remover, and the other day to pop off the light covers in my truck. It does not get used every day but its small and unobtrusive so its easy to have around.

Ryan

3. Sunnie

Sunnie Loaded Pockets

I'm considering one of these too. My additional  question is whether the tool could be custom made even smaller and still retain prying functionality?  I want to put it on a keyring, but not have it stick out at all.

Also, which is stronger: the steel or the ti? Or are they even, but with the benefit of the lighter weight on  the ti?

Sunnie

4. The Closer

The Closer Loaded Pockets

Peter would be the guy to ask. I have several of his prybabies, but only one is a full size version the others are all smaller. If you are going to do a lot of prying stick with the steel, but it is nice to have an anodized ti one for your nights out on the town. I have used my prybaby to scrape paint, strip wire, cut open boxes, pull out contacts, door stop device, etc. etc....
    Guys, once you have one you'll wonder what you ever did without one and thats my 2 cents worth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Sunnie

Sunnie Loaded Pockets

Closer,

With a recommendation as enthusiastic as that one, how can i not be convinced I need one!

I'll contact Peter on Monday and see what he says about getting a smaller one made; maybe I'll get a normal size as well for back up. Just hope my being across the Atlantic doesn't make it hard to get these babies.

Sunnie

6. The Closer

I don't believe you'll have any problems , since its not actually a knife. Happy hunting!!!! O0

7. Peter Atwood

Peter Atwood Empty Pockets

I'm considering doing a mini version, about 80% of the original but scaled down evenly. Will try a proto and see how I like it.

As Doug said, you are only limited by your imagination with these tools. I have used them on the jobsite for years (I used to be a paint and wallpaper contractor) and have done everything from opening paint cans to prying off moldings and even a coat rack that had been nailed to the wall. Just this morning I used one to tighten up the screw holding the handle on a rake. I could have used a leatherman for that task but I didn't have one with me. That's the thing, since it's on my keys it's always with me.

8. simbad

simbad Loaded Pockets

In response to Dave568 this is how my Prybaby looks like in my keychain, the size is perfect for the prying action. The S30V steel is incredibly hard and with the normal use is not even easy to scratch the finish. Mine actually has soo many beer bottles opened  :laugh:  and still looks like new since I bought it a few months ago directly from Peter's website.

[​IMG]

9. The Closer

Built TOUGH!!!!!!! :knuppel2: