1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Attaching small knives to keychains

Discussion in 'Knives' started by bltkmt, Apr 23, 2008.

1. bltkmt

bltkmt Loaded Pockets

I have done some poking around, but have not found much on this specific topic...for those of you that have a small knife on your keychains, what is the best method of attachment for easy on/off? For instance, I bought a Ladybug recently. The body of the knife is fairly thick (7mm), so I would think a split ring would get bent out of shape when trying to fit it onto the knife. What are you all doing to attach your knives?

Thanks.

2. AcydFlames

AcydFlames Empty Pockets

Mostly small clips. BerkeleyPoint gear, like the Micro and Nano clips; Pico can be a little small for something, and Mini can be big IMO sometimes, but it's all about your application. This makes a pretty good "starter kit" to figure out what sizes you like, and to test quality (plus we EDCFr's get an additional discount!).

Pretty much goes (for me at least) Knife -> Split Ring -> Clip -> Larger Keyring. With the clip mounted to the knife so that it comes off with the knife, and makes a sort of micro-lanyard, since most keychain knives are so small, I like the little extra length.

I'd assume you'll find a lot of people use some flavor of the McGizmo clips.

3. bltkmt

bltkmt Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the reply. I am familiar with, and a big user of, the Berkeley Point clips. However, the issue is how to get one attached to a very wide lanyard hole on the Ladybug. Again, I would think a split ring would get bent out of shape when trying to feed it through this hole, so am looking for suggestions?

Thanks.

4. Rico801

Rico801 Loaded Pockets

Will any of the screw links at Berkley or the CountyComm one open wide enough for the knife opening? Maybe just a simple piece of paracord with a knot or closure? I think ball chain would work, but it seems to come apart to easily. I can't think of anything else right now. Good luck!

5. parnass

parnass Loaded Pockets

I have used metal D, square, and triangle links to fit through the holes in "fat" knives. You have to find links which are not welded so you can bend them open and bend them back shut.

The thinnest metal links can open by themselves under pressure, risking the loss of an EDC item.

They are probably sold in bulk on the Internet, but I scavenge them from "giveaway" keyfobs which I collect for such purposes.

6. jujigatame

jujigatame Loaded Pockets

I use small zip ties.

7. AcydFlames

AcydFlames Empty Pockets

Gottcha :doh:. Sorry.

I've used a length of small accessory cord, with just a simple knot, as a sort of flexible cord "ring", and used that in place of a normal split ring. Might work, but IMO, it's not the cleanest, prettiest looking thing; kind of looks spur-of-the-moment, temporary fix.

I think my best option in this case (and it's a bummer I don't have a picture right now), would be to tie a very short lanyard (or long, if that's what you decide that you like) directly to the knives lanyard hole, and incorporate a small clip into the end of that lanyard. I would probably try something less than an inch to start.

A simple plan that I've used is (and this could be impossible to follow, so I apologise if it is): I'd grab a decent amount of Type 1 Acc. Cord, probably about 2 feet in this case, just to give you plenty to hold on to. Take your clip and slip it onto the cord, placing it in the center. Bring both ends of the cord up and thread each end through opposite sides of the lanyard hole on the knife (you don't have to do opposite holes, I just personally like a more symmetrical finish sometimes). Pull the cord through until about an inch or so of "loop" hangs down from the knife, with your clip dangling in the center there. This is where you would decide on the length, the loop size will be your final size. Take your two free ends and do something like a cobra stitch around the loop, starting at the top by the knife. When you get it down to the clip, simply cut and melt the ends. It hard mounts it to the knife and to the clip, so changing your mind in the future means cutting the cord, but that's never bugged me too much, just a chance to make a new, better one!

Simple design, clean looking, and personalized. Not the most exotic or sophisticated, but I like things simple myself. I would use the Type 1 because anything larger would be too large IMO. I would actually even suggest something smaller than Type 1, if you've got it.

And just a simple note: I've found that with most Type 1 Acc Cord, gutted or not, you get about a 1":1' (1:12) ratio on your finished lanyard length compaired to your starting cord length, using a simple cobra stitch. That is, if you started with a 2 foot cord (and made the loop about 2 inches at the start of course, that has to be adjusted) and tied from there, you'd be in good shape for a 2" lanyard. Of course, scaling is pretty easy at that ratio too, 4' for a 4" cobra fob, 6' for a 6" fob... 100' for a 8'4" fob (or rope?)... you get the idea.

Let us know what you end up using too.

8. jiji

jiji Loaded Pockets

Quality split rings are good spring steel, they won't get bent out that easily. I've put a smallish (about 1cm inner diameter, like those that come on a SAK) split ring on my LadyBug without any trouble.

9. Shike

Shike Loaded Pockets

10. quattrokid73

quattrokid73 Loaded Pockets

11. bltkmt

bltkmt Loaded Pockets

You were indeed correct. I got a split ring on without an issue, and attached it to a cool paracord fob created by forum member Deano (wonderful work he does)...having a fob or lanyard on this small knife makes it that much more user-friendly. I love this knife!

12. Rico801

Rico801 Loaded Pockets

Lets see some pics!

13. VT-aroo

VT-aroo Loaded Pockets

I can not find the link but one of our number used a bit of utility cord, tied it in a knot and fed the knot into a x cut in a bit of tube. (pictures would help a bunch) but the upshot was that if you hold the blade and pull it provides enough resistance to let you open the blade and then it comes loose. Might be good for yours as well. Or as suggested above a bit or light cord and decorative knot. I like this because it does not mar up the spydie as you feed it through.

14. phatch

phatch Loaded Pockets

I've used some kydex sheaths that stay attached to the key ring. It's bulky but it's the easiest release and reattachment I've found. I've since moved to more minimalist keyrings as all systems were too bulky for my taste.

Phil

15. Mad_Maxx

Mad_Maxx Loaded Pockets

well don't know if it's what you want:
    i have a big carabiner (10cm)on my belt, there is a keyring for keys and one for the inka and tritium glowring
    3rd is a small 4,5\5cm D shaped carabiner whre I have SAK minichamp\manager and a S+T tool attached

just un-carabiner the small carabiner from the big one to have the knife in your hand away from the other things

hope it was clear :)

Maxx

16. bltkmt

bltkmt Loaded Pockets

Here you go...I am not great at photos.

[img width=640 height=480]http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd207/bltkmt/SANY0876.jpg[/img]

17. Rico801

Rico801 Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the pic! I have never been into Spydercos, but that little thing looks cool.

Where did you get the small split ring? I usually get them from lighthound, but I think the knife would have sprung it. Mine get sprung putting them on McGizmos clips.

18. bltkmt

bltkmt Loaded Pockets

Not entirely certain, but most likely at Berkeley Point...I had ordered a bunch of assorted sized ones a while back. They are very solid.

19. Rico801

Rico801 Loaded Pockets

I'll have to order my next batch from Berkeley. I have been wanting a ton of stuff there anyway. ;D

20. Lorenzo

Lorenzo Loaded Pockets

My Ladybug has a small split ring through the lanyard hole, and a Victorinox Key Chain Coupler connects it to the keyring.
    [​IMG] (Both split rings I use are smaller than those).
    Basically, you grasp the ridge between two fingers and press on the rod with the thumb, this releases the cylinder. The push-rod part is attached to the ring, and the smaller metal cylinder to the kinfe. In this way the Ladybug stands out from other items (that are, ahem, numerous, me being a packrat), can be easily detached and gets about an inch of extra handle lenght.