1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Asus Zenfone or other unlocked phone?

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by Outbound, Feb 10, 2018.

1. Outbound

Outbound Loaded Pockets

My Motorola Moto G is a piece of crap and is about to give up the ghost. I've hated it since about 2 weeks after I got it so I want to replace it with an unlocked smartphone. However, I refuse to pay $600+ for something and I hate bloatware. A friend has recommended the Asus Zenfone, either the 3 or 4 depending on price point.

Does anyone here have personal experience with one of these? Pros, cons? Good, junk?

My uses would be primarily texting, phone calls, browsing forums/email, audiobooks, running Spotify and podcast apps, and a few specialty apps like Torque Pro and a ballistics computer. I don't watch movies or play games on my phone but I do hate lag and want something that runs smooth and fast.

I'm also open to suggestions for other phones? Otterbox or similar compatible is a bonus (I'm hard on stuff). Absolutely no Iphones. I'll never buy another Apple product.

Oh, price point of a max $400 Canadian pesos.

Thanks! :)

2. aih

aih Loaded Pockets

A tip and a comment....

Tip: If you haven't already, check out Howardforums. I don't know of a better resource for down in the weeds mobile stuff. And if you haven't, see if there is an Asus or Zenfone user forum. (Not that asking here was a bad idea, but you are much more likely to find the information you are looking for at Howardforums or an Asus userforum (if there is one).)

Comment: I'm in a similar boat. I won't use Android and don't want to use iOS. I've thought about the Zenfone but haven't pursued that option. I'm holding out (praying) for Microsoft to come out with the anticipated folding pocketable computer (rumored to be code named Andromeda). I can live without apps; just want a device that will be supported and know manufacturer won't EOL it after a few months or go out of business. It's an Android and iOS world right now. Tough market.

Outbound likes this.
  3. Outbound

Outbound Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the lead on Howardforums. I've never heard of them before.

I hadn't considered something like the Andromeda you mentioned. If (when?) it comes out I'll have a look. I actually don't mind Android at all though, much preferring it over iOS.

4. aih

aih Loaded Pockets

So far as I know Microsoft hasn't formally announced anything, but rumors are sometime this calendar year. Tech reporters and bloggers are going off patent applications and clues in software, and known efforts by Microsoft in the way of Windows on an ARM system. And Microsoft has announced always connected computers with Windows running on ARM systems, with HP and Asus as partners, so it does make sense that a pocketable device is coming. From what I've read, Microsoft won't market it as a smartphone, though it will have mobile phone capabilities.

5. shrap

shrap Loaded Pockets

I wouldn't hold out for an theoretical Microsoft product. Even if it's announced in six months, it will take another six months to actually come to market, and six more months until developers decide to support it or shun it.

If you remember, Windows on ARM has existed already - it was called Windows RT, it was on the original Surface, came out in 2012, and it was universally ignored.

Howardforums has too many people arguing over minutiae - I'd recommend just going to the Wirecutter and getting what they recommend (Moto G5 Plus). There's also the Essential and the OnePlusOne, although the latter's manufacturer is a bit slimy.

Outbound likes this.
  6. Outbound

Outbound Loaded Pockets

Yeah, I'm not holding out for Microsoft anything. I like Android so I have no problem with that. The Moto G5 isn't on my list. My current phone is a Moto G3 and it's a piece of junk. Slow, buggy, laggy, fragile etc. It's been this way since it was a month old. Not interested in another Motorola product after this experience.

7. aih

aih Loaded Pockets

It's 98 or 99% an Android and iOS world. If you don't care and don't want to think about it, the easy way to go is choose one that your carrier sells. Otherwise, it's tough.

I'm aware of Windows RT. I wasn't at the time, but now reading about it I understand it had lots of issues. I'm not surprised it didn't get support and didn't go anywhere. My big worry is Microsoft will come out with something and then let it die in the crib like it seems to do too often. I don't need apps other than a couple of the basics, like navigation. What I do need is the security updates and bug fixes over the useful life of the device.

I'm not so much as holding out because I want it, but because I will drop smartphones altogether rather than use Android. If it comes to it I might switch to iOS except I want to avoid doing that.

As far as Howard forums, it is what it is. User forums are great resources if you know how to use them and get what you need from them. I don't say it is the best, but only one possible resource for communicating with other users. If you are thinking for yourself and looking for all of the information from many sources, user forums should be included.

My opinions. FWIW.

8. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

@aih: I'm here to tell you survival without a smartphone is not so difficult! I'm no Luddite, but I just never could justify the extra cost of the data plan for a smartphone. So here I am, still rocking a 'dumb' flip phone. Mine is made by LG. I get great phone service with it; texting is ok; voicemail is fine. The way I figure it, if a 'flip' device worked for James T. Kirk and Spock, it still can work fine for me! ;)

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

9. shrap

shrap Loaded Pockets

Kinda weird statement. My phone has basically replaced my computer, and phone plans (in the US) are the cheapest they have ever been. I think the differences between iOS and Android are wildly exaggerated, at least at the high end.

10. aih

aih Loaded Pockets

Thanks. I could adapt, but I would rather not. I started using a BlackBerry for personal use many years ago, before the iPhone, and of course before Google's Android. For me, having mobile data makes life and travel a whole lot easier. I could find workarounds if my phone was simply voice and SMS, but it would be unpleasant for me.

Weird statement remark aside, you are right about the cost of mobile data. It is cheap, especially compared to what it was 10+ years ago. And one can do almost (not 100%, but maybe close, depending) everything they need to do on a smartphone nowadays. In the end, however, it boils down to a person's needs and wants.

Last edited by aih, Feb 15, 2018
    #10 aih, Feb 15, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  11. Outbound

Outbound Loaded Pockets

How cheap is your data in the US? I pay $55 Canadian pesos per month and only get 1GB of data, 200 nation wide minutes, unlimited texting, call ID and voicemail. 5GB would crank my bill up to at least $90 per month unless I find some sort of promotional plan.

Data is so expensive here, I'm better off connecting to WiFi when possible while out and about and using my laptop at home where I have 150MB down/up and unlimited usage for $40 per month.

I don't see myself ever using a phone for all my computing purposes. My laptop is way faster and more efficient. Just typing alone puts it ahead. I type 10 times faster and more accurately on the laptop than on my phone.

12. aih

aih Loaded Pockets

I type as fast on my BlackBerry with hard keyboard as I can on full size computer keyboard, and I do touch type. The matter of using smartphone or laptop for me is really only a question of what cannot be done on the smartphone and has to be done on the laptop. My personal intention is to one day be able to do everything on a pocketable mobile computer.

As far as data, wife and I are now on T-Mobile's 55 and older plan and unlimited voice, text, and data is about USD 60 per month not including taxes and fees for two lines. When I started with a BlackBerry on T-Mobile over a dozen years ago unlimited BIS was USD 19.99 per month (and it was GPRS and EDGE back then). I was paying USD 25 per month for unlimited data before switching to the 55-and-older plan (and now data is 4G LTE).

As I say, data is cheap; and if you factor in the increase in speed and the comparative amount of data that can be used and what it can be used for, cheaper now than it was a decade ago. At least in my experience.

13. assassin10000

assassin10000 Loaded Pockets

Verizon (most expensive) if you have I think 4 or more lines on a shared plan is down to $40 a month for unlimited talk/text/data, granted they DO throttle speed after 15gb per month. Or at least they did to me. I used to be grandfathered and was never throttled, but then it was like $80 a month.

14. Outbound

Outbound Loaded Pockets

Geez...anyone wanna sponsor me so I can move to the US? I constantly see more and more reasons to move there and fewer and fewer reasons to stay in Canada. LOL