1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

ASUS eee PC

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by Mad_Maxx, Feb 16, 2008.

1. Mad_Maxx

Mad_Maxx Loaded Pockets

So ASUS came out a while ago with the eee PC, a 7"laptop with linux for 299€ (here, 399$? in the usa?)
    It uses a Xandros Linux version
    has 2 modes (basic and advanced to be enabled manually)
    900mhz celeronM
    512\1gb ram
    2-4-8 GB SolidStateDisk
    less than a kg heavy

i'll buy one ASAP I can find one here, they're already gone after 2 weeks, hope to get my hands on one within a month.

here are 2 useful links about it
    wiki and forum
    try the OS!!!

any opinion, someone already got one?

cheers
    Maxx

2. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

A colleague owns one and plans to get another for his 10 YO son. I've tried it a few times. It seems quite sensible despite the dimunitive size.

3. temujin

temujin Uber Prepared

If I have enough left over at the end of the month, I'm probably getting one. If not, then hopefully next month. I think I will have to order online at Best Buy unless anyone knows of a better source.

A good friend just got his OLPC delivered last week. I haven't had to chance to visit and check it out.

4. jayce

jayce Empty Pockets

Our Linux group has a few folks with these and OLPC's. These are the nicer of the two of course, though most folks have immediately switched to an Ubuntu or Fedora version on it. Quite nifty little tools, great for portability. I myself would like it a little more if the screen stretched out to the edges.

For real EDC, I might prefer a Nokia 810 or so instead though.

5. Onedzguy

Onedzguy Empty Pockets

6. mwaldron

mwaldron Loaded Pockets

I thought about an eeepc and ended up deciding to go with a Nokia n810 instead.

They are different devices, but a quick analysis of my needs/desires and the n810 made more checkboxes fill up.

It's small. It's still pocketable for me. It may not be for long though as my #1 complaint with loosing weight is my pocket sizes keep diminishing with the waist size.

It's massively connectible. WiFi + BT and it manages them really well from a software point of view. Nokia knows phones, and the 810 knows how to connect to them.

Decent battery life, cheap+small batteries. You can get knock off batteries for $5-$10 each on eBay.

Runs on 5V. Almost everything I own runs on either 12V or 5V. It's easy for me to plug it into my existing solar charger I used to use for my PalmOS devices. It also recharges quite well from the Energizer "power to go" AA rechargers.

Beautiful screen. Ok, the Asus has a nice screen too, but WOW the screen on this thing is the best I've ever seen in the size.

Built In GPS. It's not a great GPS. I certainly wouldn't want it for hiking if I had an alternative availiable, but it's great to have at hand. Another tool in the box.

Community support. It's not near as good as the Asus, but it's pretty decent. Nokia has most of the device completely open.

It does have some drawbacks though.

It's not good at connecting to other computers. It has extremely poor SMB support (ability to connect to shared drives in Windows). There is no support at all for VPN built in but you can add OpenVPN or Cisco VPN with fairly little trouble. I require MS VPN, that's considerably more difficult. I'm planning to spend today working on it.

It seems slower than it should be. I won't say Nokia cut corners because the quality seems to be great, but they used cheaper components whoever they could to keep cost down. They used slow memory and (imo) not enough of it, their choice of a GPS engine was the bottom of the TI line, etc. I can't imagine Asus did anything different at their price point though.

It's not an x86 architecture. It will never run Windows. That's possible with the Asus if it was required.

7. bravo

bravo Empty Pockets

i'm waiting for the Silverthorne... ;D

8. Gabrielnotchear

Gabrielnotchear Empty Pockets

My eeepc serves exactly what I need - it's for my classes, it weights nothing, and if I loose it, nothing horrible happens.

I will eventually pick up something more complex, sure - but :censored: this thing is useful.

9. bzorg

bzorg Loaded Pockets

I have try one about two month ago
    and being a linuxian
    I was not happy with xandros
    but it can be changed
    So, I should take one

10. bobisculous

bobisculous Empty Pockets

Yep. I have a 4G myself. I have installed the popular eeeXubuntu on it making it much more useful for me. For $400, it cant be beat.

11. kitkat

kitkat Loaded Pockets

12. JoeBob

JoeBob Empty Pockets

I have had mine for about 2 months.
    Wonderful little piece of kit, great for on the go computing.
    Haven't gotten around to changing the flavor of Linux, Xandros works okay for this Mac user. :)

13. trax

trax Empty Pockets

I bought mine 2 days ago, and it works great. It's now part of my "travel EDC bag". I've just been seeing the movie "hunted" : PERFECT !
    Actually, I'm currently using it. Initially, I wanted to convert it into windows XP, but I don't see the point of it for the moment, since everything works great, and the files are compatible with XP on a thumbdrive.
    The hardest thing with ePC is just getting used to the dimensions of the keyboard... but I'll work on it !

14. Lorenzo

Lorenzo Loaded Pockets

I've kept in touch with the EEE news and finally handled one recently. While I was earnest congratulating a friend on such a purchase, I finally said: "No, iBook please". The screen size and resolution were (to my personal personal opinion) simply not enough to justify a notebook form factor. The 7-inch display is basically what one sees on portable DVD players. While surely OK for reading a book, it was not for browsing everything (this very page of EDCForums looked :censored: cramped, took scrolling like hell to get past the top ads in every topic).

15. Jetpac

Jetpac Loaded Pockets

this is the very reason i am waiting for the upgraded 9" version of the Eee!!

comparison of 7" and 9":
    http://www.nordichardware.com/news,7438.html

16. Lorenzo

Lorenzo Loaded Pockets

Glad to hear the 9" screen of the new EEE is 1024x600. It was rumored the resolution remained the same, that would suck.

17. DB

DB Kilted Moderator

Is there a street price for the 9" yet?

18. temujin

temujin Uber Prepared

H-P just started selling their Mini-Note. Competitive price-wise, it is heavier but the screen seems better. Have mixed feelings about H-P these days. Might still go for the Asus.

19. tinyblob

tinyblob Loaded Pockets

I'm pretty sure there are going to be a number of Eeepc competitors in the 7-9" form factor coming out shortly with the new Intel Atom processor. So i'm holding off purchasing any till i know better.

20. Jetpac

Jetpac Loaded Pockets

yea, they may be rleasing the 9" eee without Atom to get it out the door
    then switch to Atom in the summer. so its worth holding fire.