1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Asking about the bag category

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by clock, Jan 2, 2020.

1. clock

clock Loaded Pockets

We know that bags fall in several categories such as: backpack, messenger bag, duffel bag, briefcase, and so on. I would like to ask about the office bag, or laptop bag, that has zipper goes around 3 sides and opens up like a clam shell, what do you call it ???

I know it might be called a laptop bag, but it seems that many bags of different types are called laptop bags. A messenger bag which has a sleeve for a laptop can be called a laptop bag. See my point ??

2. GoBliNuke

GoBliNuke Loaded Pockets

Back in the day there were such "cases" with three-side zippers intended to lug papers around, not meant to hold laptops because laptops were not so common. IIRC here in Russia they were called "case" or sort of "valise".

3. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Why does it matter what they are called?

4. PragmaticMurphyist

PragmaticMurphyist Loaded Pockets

If you want to look one up online and buy one then knowing the precise name can save a lot of trial & error,

karlito likes this.
  5. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I can see that for sure but I also imagine that there is no practical common label for this style bag these days too?

When portable computers were larger it was a lot more practical to use them inside the clamshell opening style cases but now they are so insanely light and thin that they easily slide into and out of an almost envelope styled sleeve with no issue.

Plike to stick a hard shell cover around the Macs that I use and then slide them into a neoprene suspension sleeve of some kind so that they can never hit a hard floor surface if put down in a rough way but I also have no trouble with one that is padded if I can find one.

PragmaticMurphyist likes this.
  6. steel_6

steel_6 Loaded Pockets

I think I'd call it a clamshell opening messenger bag - messenger bag to me relates more to the form and function of a bag, I don't automatically see a type of opening in my mind when I think of it.

7. PragmaticMurphyist

Inspiration strikes! (Possibly! :unsure:)

Do you mean a zip folio?

8. clock

clock Loaded Pockets

It happens to be my favorite style
    When open, everything is so accessible. That is how I work, I put it on the desk beside me and whatever I need is really easy to get to. Unfortunately, this design is almost disappearing.

9. clock

clock Loaded Pockets

No, this is a BAG. It can hold a laptop, or two !!

Just look at a briefcase, and imagine if the zipper goes around three sides, and it opens like a clamshell.

10. clock

clock Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]
    OK. Here is an example
    I Googled (clamshell bag)

11. clock

clock Loaded Pockets

Off course, I put it horizontally on the desk, and open the cover, or top pocket , and it is great.
    Although it doesn't have much organization, but you can put a few pouches within. Its really simple and great type of bag (for me at least)

12. PragmaticMurphyist

Okay, thanks for clarifying.