1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Around the house lights

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by wanderer16, Nov 27, 2017.

1. wanderer16

wanderer16 Loaded Pockets

I found this 10 pack of flashlights at Walmart for $9.95. It is 10 6 LED lights. The packaging says they are 20 lumens. Each takes three AAA batteries and 30 AAA’s came in the package. I got them to distribute around the house because I am always needing a flashlight at a time when I don’t have my edc light on me. They put out enough light to light up a room or your path in the dark. They activate with a tail clicker. They have come in handy. They are light weight aluminum and all have a small lanyard attached. For $9.95 they have been a good purchase. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#1 wanderer16, Nov 27, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
    Moshe ben David and A.B. like this.
  2. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

If I am awake and have pants on then I have EDC lights with me which is pretty much all the time around my house.

Low_Speed likes this.
  3. wanderer16

wanderer16 Loaded Pockets

I think it should be against the law to make a remote control that is not backlit!! I put one of these by my easy chair just for the thousands of occasions when I need to do something with a remote and I can't see the thing. Usually in my pajamas when it happens too. Also constantly having to trace a power cord among the many in my entertainment center, usually same scenario. I put one in the bathrooms, one on top of the fridge, one on the screened in porch, all the places I am apt to need a light when I am lounging around the house.

4. SOS24

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

I can see where some cheap lights could be good placed around the house for emergencies, but I don’t use them where I won’t have easy access to another nicer flashlight because I’ve had too many not work when I needed them.

I almost always have a light within arms reach.

Low_Speed and wanderer16 like this.
  5. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

For $1 each, why not? I have flashlights everywhere but sometimes I need a flashlight to find the other flashlight!

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

6. dmattaponi

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

Sounds like a good idea to me. Even though I tend to always have a flashlight in my pocket, I still like to have flashlights stashed in various places around the house, that someone can grab when needed. The 10 pack you picture looks pretty handy for that.

wanderer16 likes this.
  7. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

That same style of light can be had in multiple stores... you get what you pay for, the tint is bluish, it doesn't throw very far, it's thicker than a 1xAA light and takes 3xAAAs which is annoying because AAAs are sold in pairs or fours. However, they are incredibly cheap and are easy to use. They're great for places where you might need a light, such as on an office desk. I'm always grabbing mine to find stuff on the floor or in my filing cabinets. As the OP noted, they're great to have one in each room of your house, which doesn't matter so much for those who edc a light, but could make a major difference for family members who don't. Plus, in an emergency, you can easily have enough for everybody, and you wouldn't care about giving one away if a neighbor needed a light. Horror Fraught (Harbor Freight) occasionally has deals where you can get a free one when you spend a certain amount. Easy way to quickly get a bunch of lights to keep around the house for emergencies. They just don't compare to a "real" light, however.

Airborne 1 and wanderer16 like this.
  8. plumberroy

plumberroy Loaded Pockets

I tend to pick up the free harbor freight light work lights they always have a coupon for. they have a magnet on the back I stick them to the stove fridge back of metal doors washer etc. that way if the power goes out my wife or grandkids can find a light quick

Water-Rat and wanderer16 like this.
  9. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

For a nightstand light, I use an old EX10 with a tritium vial.

For my around-the-yard lights, I use some throwers.

For my around-the-house lights, I use adhesive lights so they are there when I need them.

10. Moco

Moco Loaded Pockets

nice catch on those Ozark flashlights, great to hand out or keep around places in the house. I have surefire G2ZX and a solar force by front door in case I need extra light in my patio or head out to my car.

11. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I have several 9 LED lights each using 3 AAA batteries scattered around the house. None cost me anything -- either 'gimme' lights at odd trade shows or 'gifts' from various reps... They are useful for navigating the house in the dark; looking under chairs and such.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

Water-Rat likes this.
  12. thegrouch314

thegrouch314 Loaded Pockets

I have a bunch of the same style lights that I've picked up from various places around the house. I live in student digs and the power often goes out and there's regular power cuts so it's always beneficial to have them. I also have one in my little bag of things by the door to grab during a fire alarm. I usually grab my jeans which has a light in the pocket but this way if I don't, I've got one and if I do, there's one to lend out.
    Those lights are pretty good value too. They'll crap out in the end but for a dollar each, plus batteries, you can't really go wrong.

13. kensington

kensington Loaded Pockets

Sounds like you do not spend enough money on flashlights ;-)

I went through a 6 month phase where I was buying lights like there was no tomorrow (inexpensive.... mostly) and now have enough lights that I carry 2 on body and like 8 in my EDC bag, 3 in my photography bag, 1 per range/gun bag, have 2 - 3 in 4 different car bags plus 1 in each car console, 1 - 2 in like 5 FAK's and Convoys in every room plus a lantern for each floor of the house and still a few extras sitting ready to be deployed somewhere for something.

Back before that binge I had already picked up a couple of Costco 3 packs of lights that take 3 - AAA's and a bigger Duracell 3 pack so most rooms have at least 2 flashlights each, the kids just love it, until the 1 year old starts hurling them at them...

I bought a 10 pack like this once at Home Depot a couple of years ago and I think like 1 of them still works. I also have a bunch of free gimme lights strewn about as well.

Water-Rat likes this.
  14. ZMZ67

ZMZ67 Loaded Pockets

When I first started buying lights online I purchased some similar style cluster led lights before they were widely available at B&M stores for around the house use. In the end it turned out to be a waste of money as most of the lights failed and I ended up accumulating other lights over the years anyway that are better quality to provide the same function. I still purchase low cost lights if I see a good value but I try to stick with lights that I believe are decent quality and offer some worthwhile features. The "run of the mill" cheap stuff is just not worth buying IME.

Moshe ben David and kensington like this.
  15. dmattaponi

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

Over the last year or so I've been replaced all of my old flashlights with AA cell lights for easy to fuel, affordable "flashlighting" needs.. Most are single cell, but I've also got 6 four cell AA TN4A) flashlights strewn around the house and in vehicles.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  16. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

When I was small, my uncles always kept the old Rayovac magnetic flashlights right under the glove boxes of their work trucks. Those were great.

Now, you guys have me thinking that I could glue some of my extra rare-earth magnets or spare self-adhesive hook-and-loop to a few back-up flashlights to keep them where want them. Because flashlights do have a tendency to walk on their own.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

#16 adnj, Nov 30, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
    Moshe ben David likes this.
  17. Low_Speed

Low_Speed Loaded Pockets

Those things don’t last very long. Fry’s Electronics sells a similar pack with a different name. I store them for people that might be here if the power goes out. Otherwise I leave a crap load of Olights around the house for myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

G39 likes this.
  18. G39

G39 Loaded Pockets

That’s my experience as well. Menards had two packs of single aa lights super cheap one time I went in and got a bunch for scattering around the house. Most people are careless with them. I broke one a few weeks ago when I dropped it and we have one left still running. I’m not going that route anymore. While not as plentiful there are lights all around the house that I know will work when needed. Energizer hard case and a few black and decker lights similar to the hard case. They handle abuse better and will last much longer I have some that have been around 5-8 years now and have endured some pretty hard and abusive use, still work.

19. ScottB

ScottB Loaded Pockets

I have a couple of raovac 1XD sitting on each floor. My others include Surefire 9P with a Malkoff M61, and a 6P with a Malkoff M61NLL.oh also a AA Maglite in the junk drawer.