1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Armitron watches - are they any good?

Discussion in 'Watches' started by Sniperx7, Mar 17, 2012.

1. Sniperx7

Sniperx7 Loaded Pockets

I saw a few of them at local stores and I was wondering if they are decent for the price. I'm primarily interested in an automatic watch and they had a decent looking one for $130. I am definitely not a watch guy by any means but I'm in the market for something in the $100 -200 range for my internships coming up in the summer and following semesters. The reason I am questioning the reputation of armitron is because usually when i see an automatic watch in stores they are $300+.

Any insight is very helpful!

sx7

2. tirod

tirod Loaded Pockets

You can buy a Seiko Dive rated watch for less than $200 and actually get something. Most Armitrons I've seen over the years were marketed in the same genre as Timex. Good dependable beaters in the $25 - 50 range. They are trying to move upmarket, but it's already crowded at the Mall level. Too little too late, they are strongly connected to being inexpensive.

Look around on the net, visit Watchuseek forums, and you'll find that local retail isn't the best yardstick of what watches have to offer. Like any other tool, it might help to be specific about what you want in a watch, then narrow the list of who offers it. That will ensure getting something for the money, not just eyecandy for the wrist. Kohls has plenty of that for under $30.

3. Beneficial

Beneficial Loaded Pockets

armitrons are throw away quartz watches you can usually pick up at goodwill for 3$

4. Bellasdaddy

Bellasdaddy Loaded Pockets

I would stay away from Armitron. I had a couple a few years back and you could expect that it will not hold up to everyday use. The back of mine eventually popped open.

Look into a G Shock or Seiko for a nominal pricing and ruggedness.

5. Sniperx7

Sniperx7 Loaded Pockets

I don't like any of the G shock series. The are much too techie for me. I like the Seiko watches but I didn't know some of them could be had in my price range. I'll do some looking, thanks all!

sx7

6. JAfromMn

JAfromMn Banned

I got a Armitron Automatic as a gift from my wife and I've had no issues with it.

Ok there is one thing. it could hold power for a little longer but she said the price was right ;D

7. larrymz3

larrymz3 Loaded Pockets

It's inexpensive...

8. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Check out LongIslandWatch.com

Bought my Orient black Mako through that site. The owner bent over backwards to make sure I was happy.

9. airsickness

airsickness Loaded Pockets

Keep in mind the following info is 16 years old. When they opened the Walgreen around the corner from my house there was a huge opening day sale. I picked up an Armatron digital watch for ...$7.99. I have replaced the battery once since then and it finally disappeared on a job site when I took it off to wash up. It was gone the next morning. I have looked tirelessly for its replacement but I have not seen that model again. It was my favorite watch. The band was well worn and shaped to my skinny wrists. It was a no nonsense watch. I can only hope they are made as well as they were then.
    Kenny

10. watchcollector1968

watchcollector1968 Loaded Pockets

You might want to check Amazon for the Seiko 5 line of watches. You can find many of them in the 70 to 80 dollar range and they look very nice. They are also excellent quality watches. The bracelets are nothing special but they are plenty durable. I got this one on sale a year or so ago...65 bucks or something like that.
    [​IMG]

11. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

If you want an auto that you don't mind wearing for EVERYTHING, I would say to go Vostok Amphibia.Decent quality automatics with inhouse movements, dive rated, for about $80 shipped to your door (including a new strap... LOL) If you are willing to deal with a manual wind mov't, they have the Komandirskie for about $60 shipped with new band.