1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

aren't mechanical watches wonderful

Discussion in 'Watches' started by Angry Scientist, Oct 30, 2008.

1. DrSpeed

DrSpeed Loaded Pockets

that's a real beauty!

2. Angry Scientist

Angry Scientist Empty Pockets

hi all, checking back into this thread.

Just to show i am not an expensive watch snob, i wanted to let everyone know i just picked up a manual wind hamilton watch. for those who did not know, hamilton has an extensive history in both the railroad and maritime timekeeping industry. they make some of the nicest, most affordable, and rugged mechanical watches on the market.

the manual wind is a timeless classic, and a real pleasure to wear, i recommend they to any who are interested in getting into mechanical watches. cheers and happy holidays all! :D

3. Codeman

Codeman Loaded Pockets

Hamilton doesn't get a lot of attention, but most of their watches are solid timepieces for a fair price.

4. JB in SC

JB in SC Loaded Pockets

I have worn a Rolex GMT Master for 25 years, it's been serviced once. I worked in an industrial setting most of the time.

My late father wore a Bulova AX-10 from 1940 until he retired in 1976...four years of it in Burma and India during WW2, it still runs fine.

5. Mister Scribble

Mister Scribble Loaded Pockets

Can you give us a good place to buy them?

I've been buying a lot of cheap digitals lately but they don't last very long.
    Short of finding someone to clean and service my old Seiko I'm thinking about
    buying a decent but not expensive mechanical. Less than $50 would be good.

Anyone have any online vendors they like? (Not ebay...I'm allergic to ebay.)

Would have to have a fabric or leather strap (small wrist).

:)

6. Angry Scientist

sorry Mr. scribble, quality mechanical watches and under $50 dont go together. for under $50, the only reliable watch you will find would be a quartz.

the hamiltons are in the 350 range...(which is damned cheap for a mechanical watch).

i know everything is relative, so that may not seem cheap to you. no offense whatsoever intended.

7. Codeman

Codeman Loaded Pockets

I've bought from PrincetonWatches and BlueDial and I was happy with the service from both. BlueDial does have an extended return period for the holidays.

8. choubbi

choubbi Loaded Pockets

Lol, I was too searching for an inexpensive mechanical watch (max $100), but I was apparently unaware of the reality.

I guess I'll just keep my Seiko 5 auto for when :censored: and all my quartz watches will just become slingshot ammo. A nice sun watch is good but when there's no sun an auto is better.
    (like I will need to know what time it is when we will be hit by an EMP bomb)

9. Mister Scribble

Thanks!

Hmm, $50 no good, eh? My old Seiko auto mechanical from the 1980s couldn't have cost more than $50 - $80.

When my father lived in NYC during the 1940s, Hamiltons were the cheapest watches...sharpies selling watches
    in the subways would find a naive "mark" and say, "Here, hold it to your ear, listen to it ticking, it works!" In the
    NYC subway, LOL, good luck if you can hear anything other than the rumbling trains!

Things have changed.

10. Mister Scribble

Hmm...let's see if Google can help....wrist Sundials, pocket sundials...! <grin>

:D

11. choubbi

choubbi Loaded Pockets

:laugh:
    more seriously, I carry this in my wallet:
    [​IMG]

12. Mister Scribble

That's beautiful. Who makes it? Where can I get one?

13. choubbi

choubbi Loaded Pockets

It looks very good, I agree, and except for the black sliding part, it's rock solid with close fitting (the cursor is kinda loose, but it still stays in the position you put it if you don't shake the sundial).
    I found it on eBay (called "sailor's sunwatch"), they still sell them, $22 + shipping ($10 for me, I don't know for US shipping)
    here: eBay seller

14. Mister Scribble

Thanks, but--sacre bleu!--the description is all in French! It has been too many years since college French classes.
    Priced in euros, of course. Wonder if they even ship to the U.S.

Nice gadget, anyway.

15. choubbi

choubbi Loaded Pockets

I gave you the link with "ebay.FR" inside, so the text and prices are for frenchies. The descriptions are in english and the real prices in dollars, you just have to go to the description pages. I corrected the link in my post, click it again if you prefer.

(sorry, but he seems to make a pause, he doesn't seem to have sunwatches listed for now)

16. Peter21197

Peter21197 Empty Pockets

It's hard to explain it to people, you know the "heart and soul" part of mechanical watches. The debate has been continuous between quartz and mechanical. I have 12 watches, 8 are automatics, 2 are hand winds, and 2 are quartz. I've had them long enough to learn what the characteristics are in each of them. Some of mechanical are really close, like 2-3 seconds a day, and some are not so close 10-15sec a day. I too marvel at the ingenuity of mechanical watches. I don't debate anymore, it is pointless, either you "understand" why whatever your preference is or you don't have one. Even my mechanical that are not so close all I do is hack it for what ever that watch needs, i.e. if it runs fast 10 sec a day I just hack it for ten seconds, after a week or two I check it with Gov Time and I am off by 1 or 2 secs,

17. choubbi

choubbi Loaded Pockets

He has them again, $32 shipped worldwide : what he sells, in english

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you seem to value more the beauty and ingenuity of your watches over accuracy and reliability (I don't think you'd like to drop your mechanical watches from 10ft on concrete, I would do so with a light protection on the glass with my cheap quartz watches), so yes mechanical watches are better for what you like a watch for.
    They are, however, on a totally practical standpoint, not as good as a good solar quartz watch, which doesn't need to be synchronized more than once a year for the average people, is more robust, and cost way cheaper for the same accuracy/robustness. For someone who doesn't care about watches it clearly is a bad choice to direct him towards mechanical watches.

18. Jedi Knife

Jedi Knife Loaded Pockets

Re: aren't mechanical watches wonderful- not really

I prefer the Eco-Drive. A more accurate, cost effective, longer lasting watch. If I would have bought a Rolex instead of my Eco-Drive several years ago, I would have had to pay around $500 (US) to have had it serviced by now. My Eco-Drive is still keeping accurate, reliable time.

19. Angry Scientist

dont bet on longer lasting, i have had several eco-drives that are down to hours on battery life. but as many people here mentioned, different strokes for different folks. i greatly prefer mechanical movement watches because to me, they have a soul, but it is understandable that not everyone feels the same way. ;)

20. Timecacher

Timecacher Loaded Pockets

I used to collect G-Shock's but now I've gotten rid of all but one and gone completely to mechanical watches. I now have a mix of automatics and manual wind models and I enjoy them so much more than the digitals. I do have a few quartz watches but they are analog. Yes, they are a throwback to a somewhat less accurate time but in my mind, that's the beauty of them. Holding a watch up to my ear and listening to the steady tick of it's movement is one of the most satisfying sounds I know. Mechanical watches are like small works of art strapped to your wrist. Several of my watches have display backs and it's quite entertaining to watch all the intricate parts going about their business of telling time. I think a mechanical watch teaches you to live with time rather than be ruled by it. I arrange my life where I allow plenty of time for everything I need to do so I'm not rushed and as long as I know "about" what time it is, that is good enough.

[​IMG]