1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Are you trained? (Event First Aid)

Discussion in 'First Aid Station' started by ghbrumbaugh, Aug 29, 2016.

1. Wolfhunt3r

Wolfhunt3r Empty Pockets

First Aid and CPR I got since my security-days. More recently I got a couple of weeks (I think 7 in total) of emergency care aimed at first responders other than ambulance / EMT.

2. Fisticuffs

Fisticuffs Loaded Pockets

EMT-B, AHA CPR, AHA CPR Instructor, PHTLS, EMD, EMD Instructor.

QUADDAMAGE likes this.
  3. Ingimar

Ingimar Empty Pockets

First aid / CPR through my SAR group. I also have TCCC training through tactical LEO.

4. JabbaNoBother

JabbaNoBother Empty Pockets

Few seasons ago I was member of the National Ski Patrol. Our curriculum was based around an EMT-B course with emphasis on Outdoor Emergemy Care. While we trained for all weather outdoor medical/trauma calls, alot was geared for cold weather with minimal tools for prehospital care.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Water-Rat likes this.
  5. MountainMedic

MountainMedic Loaded Pockets

I am and have been a paramedic here in Colorado for 5 years and was a EMT for 3 years prior to that. I have worked 911 on the ambulance in Colorado Springs, Denver and Aurora as well as for a couple of fire departments in the area. I currently work as a paramedic in a large ER which is a relatively new role for paramedics. Emergency medicine is simple, and complicated at the same time. Simple in that the concepts of keeping people alive are relatively easy, while complicated in that training, supplies, experience, and skills vary greatly from state to state and person to person. Basic first aid is all the average person really needs to know and basic first aid supplies are all you need to carry. I have a large ALS bag at my house but it is mainly to take care of me, my wife and my children as we live in the country relatively far away from emergency care. I do not carry paramedic supplies in my vehicle and I don't think I have ever stopped at a car accident or any other accident off duty. The reasons for that could make this post 5x longer than it needs to be but lets just say when I am off the clock, I am OFF the clock. Thats not to see I would turn a blind eye to someone in need but for those of us who practice emergency medicine for a living, we like to be done with it when its time to punch out. If anyone has any questions on where to get training or general questions feel free to PM. But my .02 cents of professional advice are this......Learn CPR, Learn first aid, learn how to properly care for a wound and use a tourniquet and carry a tourniquet. The TQ is about the only medical item that you need to carry that WILL save your life. Cheers everyone

6. WISluggo

WISluggo Loaded Pockets

I appreciate the OP thoughtfulness as it is something I struggled with too. For my mini first aid kit, I used to carry waterproof surgical dressings, but I have no skill set to apply that. No I just stick to the basics as that's all anyone in my party would know how to use.

7. Hammer-V6

Hammer-V6 Loaded Pockets

Mine as well.. I am an ERT member.

8. Chris_1001

Chris_1001 Loaded Pockets

I have taken some Trauma classes from EMT's. Nothing certified. Prob have 8-10 hours of training. In addition in the past had my CPR and the usual "basic" first aid courses. I took my last trauma class last Sunday.

So I have a good handle on what to do (and the necessary kit). That said, hope I never need to have to use more than a bandaid.

9. gbjore

gbjore Loaded Pockets

More or less in charge of compliance for our distribution facility. Hazmat response lead including 55 gallon drums of some pretty nasty stuff. Designated point of contact for all types of heavy equipment accidents or injuries.

800+ days "lost time" accident free. Level of training... My mom was a nurse.

10. Jules

Jules Loaded Pockets

Advanced first aid, trauma, ballistic trauma, airway management (phylangeals etc.) incident management.

Yet I still don't carry a decent ifak in my edc - which is why I was looking in first aid on here!

11. Outbound

Outbound Loaded Pockets

I just got notification that I'm now licensed by the Alberta College of Paramedics as an Emergency Medical Responder. :)

After much thought, I don't see myself becoming an EMT as the cost to benefit ratio isn't there for me. I don't see myself as the type to spend 90+% of my working days doing patient transfers, attending calls to old age homes and drug overdoses.

Instead, I intend to focus on getting on full time with a fire department. Despite a high percentage of their calls being medical and medical assists these days, they still have the tool and fire fighting/rescue side of things which is much more up my alley. I see myself enjoying the training on high angle rope rescue or auto extrication much more than drug administration.

12. Devon Scout

Devon Scout Loaded Pockets

Workplace First Aid Training and Scouting First Aid here. I also deliver First Aid Training to Scouts, something which as helped with burns to two different individuals. So I can vouch for giving First Aid Training to young people works.

PragmaticMurphyist likes this.
  13. CodeBru1984

CodeBru1984 Loaded Pockets

EMT (active), and EMT Instructor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. jberner88

jberner88 Empty Pockets

I am trained as an EMT-Intermediate (medic) and certified in bls, acls, pals, phtls, and other things and like MountainMedic, I have a personal bag with the exception that I carry mine in my personal vehicle at times but for me only. I have many first aid supplies for use on myself should I find myself or a friend/family member who needs some minor first aid or in extremis. I also don't particularly like to stop at wrecks but if something seems major I will from time to time, but I personally feel any supplies I carry should be used for personal use only.

I am happy to share what I carry and for what reason if anyone has any questions.

15. Easyrunning

Easyrunning Loaded Pockets

I was a paramedic/CPR Instructor/PHTLS Instructor now retired and currently working as a lifeguard.

16. Crash_Fistfight

Crash_Fistfight Loaded Pockets

I was an EMT-D for many years during my career. I let my cert drop because I have no access to CE or skills maintenance.

17. Easyrunning

Easyrunning Loaded Pockets

That's why I finally let my Paramedic license lapse. I'm 50 years old and haven't worked the rigs since 2009. It just lapsed last November. I'm still CPR/First Aid/Lifeguard certified for my current job.

18. PreparedCitizen

PreparedCitizen Loaded Pockets

First Responder medical training through the academy. Additional training through work based upon TCCC.

19. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

I wouldn't suggest that emergency medicine is "simple."

Granted, much of it is algorithmic, but from a diagnostician's perspective, rather than a technician, it's not so simple. A clinician has multiple rule outs and cases to juggle. The paramedic, and even nursing, role is skill-based. The PAs, MD, NPs such as myself in a knowledge-based role have a bit harder time with it. So in essence medicine, not so simple. 'Paramedicine" is, and yes I was once a paramedic as well.

20. Chiles

Chiles Loaded Pockets

-NPQ Firefighter II
    -Rope Rescue Technician
    -Trench Rescue Technician
    -Confined Space Rescue Technician
    -Critical Care Paramedic
    -ACLS
    -PALS
    -BLS

There's a multitude of other crap, too. I need to go back and see what all I need to renew.