1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Are you trained? (Event First Aid)

Discussion in 'First Aid Station' started by ghbrumbaugh, Aug 29, 2016.

1. ghbrumbaugh

ghbrumbaugh Loaded Pockets

So a little background to give you a background. My wife works for a non profit that deals with children. She has her Red Cross First Aid and CPR certificate from her prior job. They had an annual picnic over the past weekend and had a hundred or so children, families and volunteers at this event in public park.

I just happened to stop by and visit my wife and see what was going on. I ended up staying most of the day to help out. Ended up falling into the lost children and first aid roll. Thankfully I had my bag with me because the first aid kit they had was half empty. Only a couple of minor scrapes. They thanked me for helping and asked if I would able to volunteer for other events.

So me being me, I'm thinking what I need to be over-prepared.

So my question for you all is, if your not a professional what level of training do you have?

P.S. I don't want this to end up as a debate about legal liability. Just keeping it as a guy trying to do the right thing and help the community.

QUADDAMAGE and Water-Rat like this.
  2. noDave

noDave Loaded Pockets

99% of the time a small kit of first aid items is just fine - band-aids, tissues, ice packs (ice in ziplock sandwich baggies work great) some bottles of water. For that 1% of the time a large bandage and a TQ can be handy to have on you. Maybe a soda or piece of candy for the potential diabetic who doesn't have something with him. Good samaritan law should protect you as long as you are not attempting anything beyond considered reasonably trying to help someone out. The only drugs I might carry would be aspirin, benadryl, and ibuprofen, but before giving anyone aspirin ask the 911 dispatcher if you should first. There are certain things and people who should not be given aspirin. Remember to always read the label before giving anyone something - ESPECIALLY KIDS!!! If you want to carry a pocket CPR mask you can, but honestly most CPR is transitioning to a hands only CPR (unless you are very rural and have a long wait for an ambulance). If you can get your hands on an AED that is a proven lifesaver and almost anyone can use them.

If anyone wants basic first aid training, ask your local paramedic or fire department if they offer classes. The AHA CPR class includes some basic first aid information and is usually a pretty cheap class.

3. toddbe

toddbe Empty Pockets

My company offers training for anyone who wants to volunteer for the office "emergency response team". Every year they offer:

- CPR
    - First Aid
    - Advanced first aid
    - Blood born pathogens
    - FEMA incident management

They provide a decent backpack sized first aid kit as well.

Redneck Bear, Hammer-V6 and Water-Rat like this.
  4. HardToHandle

HardToHandle Loaded Pockets

I took the Red Cross first aid course as a semester long skills course.
    I took the EMT Basic in junior college and passed the National Registry course.
    Then served as a volunteer firefighter/EMT.

That said, I consider myself so minimally trained, as I have only taken refresher training occasionally for the last four years, as I am no longer fire fighting. My experience is that anything beyond general, low level first aid needs regular practice. For instance, I keep nasal airways, but feel increasingly uncomfortable at the thought of using something so invasive without frequent refreshing.

I strongly encourage your intent for over preparedness. - get after it!

5. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

The basis for my first aid training was laid in boy scouts.

Other than that, I only have the standard Red Cross first aid course from my former employee, plus an add-on theoretical module focusing on babies and toddlers. I am sorry to say that I have not taken any refreshing courses, and it has been six years since the original Red Cross course.

6. PragmaticMurphyist

PragmaticMurphyist Loaded Pockets

Workplace First Aid from St John Ambulance refreshed annually, requalification next spring. Looking to add an AED course and a TQ / Celox course in the near future.

7. ghbrumbaugh

ghbrumbaugh Loaded Pockets

Thanks for all the input. I talked to a Paramedic this morning that I saw at breakfast, he said that the Red Cross offers First Aid and CPR. Told him the backstory and he said that's awesome that I want to help. He also said that most of the community events are on their radar, even if they don't have units on site. It's a small town, average single event response time is like 5-7 minutes.

8. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

To be over prepared, you would need materials and backups to handle the most challenging injury you have the training to deal with. Also, you might prepare for the event ahead of time. For instance, if the event area had a lot of blacktop areas, you might bring more gauze and bigger bandaids to deal with scraped knees, etc. If the event was in a wooded area, you might bring more items to deal with insect bites, etc. Being overprepared also means having enough of the basic first aid staples to treat multiple minor injuries.

I guess I'm a semi-professional. I work as a lifeguard over the summer, so I have current Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED certifications as part of my lifeguard certification. Except for a CPR mask, I usually don't carry anything more than the basics (bandaids/gauze, etc.) in my edc kit.

NoDave said:

Most medications should be given as a last resort in my mind when dealing with kids. The key is to communicate with the parent/guardian. GET CONSENT from the parent before doing anything if you can. If no parent and in a camp type setting, get consent from the highest ranking employee present. And as mentioned by NoDave, even common medications can prove to be allergic for some people. (Even latex gloves can spark allergies). Having a partner working the event with you is a major help. Even an untrained person can help by witnessing, clearing a scene, calling 911, guiding EMS to your location, communicating with other bystanders, calming patients, etc. Learn how to read people so you can quickly pick the calm, smart ones to delegate responsibilities to in an emergency.

When providing First Aid to a child, be aware of their feelings. They can become freaked out, embarrassed, and worried. If they're upset, taking care of them will be much harder because they can do unexpected things, like move away as you are trying to bandage them. Talk calmly, explain to them everything you are doing, and when possible do it in ways where they can see what you are doing. Having incentives can help keep patients calm. (Candy, small stuffed animals, small toys, lego figures, etc. depending on average age of kids present) Bandaids with cartoon/tv characters on them can be a plus as well.

9. Outbound

Outbound Loaded Pockets

I have Advanced First Aider and CPR C/AED Health Care Provider level as per Canadian Red Cross standards having completed the Emergency Medical Responder course. I do my exam to register with the Alberta College of Paramedics to gain full EMR status on Sept 17. :)

I've had first aid of one form or another since I took a babysitter course in about grade 3 or 4. I got Standard First Aid and CPR C in grade 7 I think. Even then, I realized it was essentially a course in apply direct pressure to bleedng, tell patient not to move and call 911. I always felt I needed more than that. I quickly progressed to Level 2 with Spinal Immobilization Endorsement, then to Occupational Level 3 which I used on jobsites. Now I've stepped up to EMR and am looking for a career in fire/rescue or attending EMT school to work on an ambulance.

I'd also like to get my lifeguard Bronze Medallion as I spend a huge portion of my leisure time in, on or near water.

Once I have my EMR designation, I'll be able to volunteer with St. John's Ambulance at local events which I intend to do in order to keep my skills fresh. Being able to help people when they most need it is something I've always felt a calling to. Having a 1 or 2 week course is a cheap way to be able to do that.

10. Codeman

Codeman Loaded Pockets

At one time I had both ARC CPR and Basic First Aid, as well as being an ARC CPR instructor, but that was 20+ years ago, so I'm rusty. If I was around situations like the OP described on a regular basis, I most definitely would get re-certified.

Water-Rat likes this.
  11. Adam Ng

Adam Ng Loaded Pockets

Have kids being around kids. Trained and recertify as often as I can.

Last edited by Adam Ng, Sep 3, 2016
    Water-Rat likes this.
  12. hatchetjack

hatchetjack EDC Junkie!!!!!

BLS CPR/AED and CERT.

UmbertoTortallini and Water-Rat like this.
  13. Timlugia

Timlugia Loaded Pockets

I was a NOLS WFR (wilderness first responder) before becoming a WEMT.

I would say that WFR is the best training a non-professional can get and highly recommend it.

14. Iafrate

Iafrate Empty Pockets

Paramedic, albeit retired, former Coast Guard Corpsman

QUADDAMAGE likes this.
  15. Jimmy Changa

Jimmy Changa Empty Pockets

Wilderness EMT, active EMT-B, EMT Instructor, BLS Instructor, Wilderness Medicine Instructor

Fisticuffs and QUADDAMAGE like this.
  16. Telstar

Telstar Loaded Pockets

I have had a 16hr first responder medical class, 8 hr wilderness first aid class, 4hr CPR and AED, 4hr SCOTT air/ Survive air SCBA and smokehouse.

17. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

At some juncture, I've trained as a EMT-Basic and later EMT-Paramedic with subsequent certification and work experience. I have allowed both to lapse. I'm also licensed as a registered nurse and advanced practice registered nurse with board certification in psychiatry. I have held myriad (insert) life support certifications and now happily hold only BLS (CPR for healthcare providers).

FWIW, I think it'd be fun to take WFR but nobody teaches that in Arkansas.

18. Timlugia

Timlugia Loaded Pockets

Stonehearth Open Learning Opportunities (SOLO) has two sites in Arkansas, you can contact them to find a class.

ArkansasFan30 likes this.
  19. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

I looked up the sites. Thanks for the lead.

20. dustyraines

dustyraines Loaded Pockets

Healthcare Provider AED/CPR