1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Are you ever done?

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by el_murdoque, Jan 21, 2019.

1. el_murdoque

el_murdoque Loaded Pockets

In the music business, there is a term called GAS, which is short for Gear Acquisition Syndrome -
    which is used for guitar players that already own a dozen high quality guitars but already lust for number 13.

I feel that in EDC, there is something quite similar.

One buys a knife and starts carrying it. Then he looks at knives on the internet and realizes that there are so many out there that are much nicer than the one he's got.
    Fast forward a couple of pay-checks and this person has a knife for the dirtier work, a gentleman folder for formal occasions, one that he doesn't really carry because it's too nice to be scratched and three or four in the daily rotation, with another one inbound from another continent.
    The same goes for the flashlight(s). And maybe guns, wherever they are a thing.
    Don't forget pens. And key chains that hold more utility gadgets than actual keys.
    Did I mention Multitools?
    Most of these things, as we cross a certain threshold in terms of price and quality, are designed to last an entire lifetime. And cost an arm and a leg more than absolutely necessary.

I came to think about that recently, when I sold off some EDC things I don't really use or need.
    And ordered some others with the money I received.

I'll end up with one titanium pen, three pocket knives and three flashlights - and I have a strong feeling that this will cover my entire EDC needs for the time being. I will have choice and be able to rotate things - either for fun's sake or depending on the expected situations, but I cannot see that I will have pressing needs to buy anything else except for loss or breaking of an Item.

But this is a line of thought that is easily voiced, with my setup incomplete and things in the mail on the way to my place. I kind of hope that I'll lay out everything when those items finally get here and say 'this is it, this is all I ever need'.

What are your excuses? ;-)

2. J_C
    • In Omnia Paratus

J_C Loaded Pockets

Been done for several years, which is one reason I visit here much less frequently and post even less. I never went overboard with anything other than pocket knives, and lost any interest in adding to that pile several years ago. I have enough to last me several lifetimes, and the "want" bug is long gone.

JHGM, kikaida and LivingUpNorth like this.
  3. Moose

Moose Loaded Pockets

I'm with you 100%. I definitely suffer from bouts of GAS :)rolleyes_revamped::giggle:) but the episodes are further apart these days as my kit reaches peak optimisation. Especially as I don't tend to rotate my edc. I've worked towards the best kit I can reasonably afford to fill the role and don't change it out until a better tool for the role is affordable. For example I have multiple edc'able knives but carry the same one as primary day in, day out as it is the best for the job (granted it's only a few months old:oops::rolleyes: - but my point stands :cool:).

Will I ever be fully cured? Probably not; but for instance, failing loss, I think it'll be a few years before I'll need/want to replace my knife or torch as they are optimised to my circumstances and needs.:showoff:

Basically I'm running out of excuses...

So. I. Must. Resist.:cold:

#3 Moose, Jan 21, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
    Kev2488 and PragmaticMurphyist like this.
  4. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Human Nature I guess?

I can stop anytime really.

It just isn't looking like I might though?

Kev2488 and Moose like this.
  5. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

Always looking the next "best thing" for me....but at my age, it's about "best for me"...not just "the best".....either is subjective, I guess :cool:

Kev2488, kikaida and Moose like this.
  6. demPho

demPho Loaded Pockets

I actively avoid things I have no business trying to afford. Or at least I try to. That and trying to be realistic. Again with the trying lol. My GAS crosses many party lines. Lately, guitar effects pedals. I fear the disease is never totally cured. [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Kev2488, twin63 and el_murdoque like this.
  7. el_murdoque

Effect pedals and knifes have a lot in common!
    That is, from the buying side. (I would not try and cut open a parcel with a Tube Screamer.)
    To replace that Soul Food on your board with the Pedal it copies would set you back about two grand if you managed to get the original Centaur.
    There are mass produced quality pedals, mass produced cheap Chinese copies and handmade boutique pedals.
    You can spend a reasonable amount of cash, you can have the cheap version if you don't mind that it's okay but won't give you 100%, and there are builders that require most of us to sell a kidney for a handmade thing of beauty that you really need to appreciate to 'get' why it's so expensive.

demPho likes this.
  8. demPho

demPho Loaded Pockets

I've seen them go for more than 2k and the beauty of it is, I'm just excited to replace the Soul Food with the Wampler Tumnus mini. Being realistic, you know. I have a deep respect for proper vintage gear, but my GAS relief technique is why I'm not out searching for the right Gold Top or Marshall Plexi.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

9. twoisone
    • In Omnia Paratus

twoisone EDC Junkie!!!

Golf would be a lot like this, with the next new club curing your slice and making you a pro. ;) Social media is key to feeding this problem and a poster hit on it by saying he stayed on the forums less. Shopping without having to leave your couch is so easy. I know I have way more than I need, but still enjoy the chase and turnover for now.

10. landwire
    • In Omnia Paratus

landwire Loaded Pockets

It becomes more of an evolution. I'm slowly moving away from having stuff just for the sake of having it. The stuff I do have, I'm slowly trying to upgrade it to a higher quality and or added functionality. Stuff that doesn't get used is slowly working itself to a collection that will eventually be parted with. Keyword is eventually. New stuff that is acquired has to be replacing something else. For instance, I have a lot of fountain pens. I still have them, but I now only keep a few inked up.

I have a tub/tote of old tools. These were your cheap knock-offs of cheap knock-offs. Think tool kits that you might buy at your local drug-store for $9.99. At the time, it was all I could afford. I have since moved on to expensive knock-offs of cheap knock-offs :rofl: Last month, I was replacing an ignition rail in a Jeep. I had to remove a 11mm nut for a grounding wire. Nowhere did anything say anything that I needed a deep socket to get it off. (I suspect the previous owner replaced a shorter bolt with a longer one.) That tote of old tool kits saved my bacon. I had an old 1/4/-3/8 socket kit. The 11mm happened to be long enough. I used to use the 1/4 to 3/8 adapter, but I made it work. The next time I was at Harbor Freight, I picked up a proper set of deep sockets. It no Craftsman, but it works fine for my needs.

11. LivingUpNorth

LivingUpNorth Loaded Pockets

A few years back (not long after joining this forum), I found myself in an acquisition spree where much money was spent; it was pretty fun, I have to admit. Over time, I finally found things that seemed to work just right, or otherwise satisfy my EDC needs. Quality over quantity in most cases. If I was a rich man, would I get more bags, knives, and lights? Yeah, probably. These days, I generally only purchase items to replace something that's been lost or damaged. The "bug" has moved to other areas of my life, but as far as EDC is concerned, I'm good.

12. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

Ha...that's funny. I have the Soul Food pedal too--that and the Bad Monkey are 2 of my favorites. I'm basically not a pedal guy & don't use any at all with my humbucker guitar...just straight into the Egnater....the pedals work for Strats & Teles, though.

el_murdoque likes this.
  13. flux

flux Loaded Pockets

When I joined here because I lost my SAK Farmer and wanted to find out what the model is called to get a replacement, I was drawn into all that stuff. I bought a ton of SAKs (on ebay mostly) to see which I liked best and some good chinese folders (Sanrenmu mostly).. Then a few nice AA/AAA flashlights..

I went a bit overboard with trying all kinds of SAKs, but now I am done. I did not buy a knife for a year and nowadays only carry a Cadet (I found out about that thanks to this forum, before I knew only the bantam/waiter as the lightest SAKs)

So basically I knew what was best for me before (Farmer/Huntsman) - this forum "helped" me to spend more money to try new things and then eventually downsize my carry (> Cadet)

Similar:

After 4 years of being happy with my AA edc light, I got interested in flashlights again last fall. Other than in knifes, there is rapid and exciting evolution going on. But also here I feel I am up to date now after 3 months with stupid bright quad 18650/18350s and a nice warm tinted high CRI headlamp.. But even with a stupid bright Fireflies E07 with 7 LEDs with 95 CRI or a Emisar D4 in my jacket, I still carry my old beloved stainless 160 lumen AA edc light every single day.

Best is not to log in here to often. Use what you have until it breaks before you buy new crap. Reading all this stuff is fun, but ultimately a waste of time. Better to go out and do something with your tools.

twoisone, Nick4305 and el_murdoque like this.
  14. el_murdoque

Should you have a few minutes, you can have a look at this blind test:

I love how the KTR Centaur has a statement of the original maker regarding these prices written on top.

Maybe, all 'Hobbies' for Men are the same. The one with the biggest toys wins ;-)

demPho likes this.
  15. el_murdoque

Flashlights are a different beast, that is correct. I used to have a 3 cell Maglite (back in the day). That basically was it. You wanted a good one, that's the one everybody used. Then LEDs came in. My father once gave me a Fenix that ran on two double As and mopped the floor with the Maglite.
    More output, more runtime, tiny. That's when I got interested, because I did not like the mode switching of the Fenix.
    I still have an old LED Lenser AAA lamp that does a whopping 15 Lumens, which was at some point in time all you could expect a single AAA flashlight to manage. Now I can light up my entire back yard with a lamp of that size.
    But how much does one need? When you carry a light as a thing on its own and not integrated into your keyring or another device, a certain size is necessary, so you don't misplace it all the time, loose it or have to rummage in your pockets to find it, also some size and weight, to give you something to hold on to. I expect batteries to get better over time as well as LEDs, so that heat dispersion will be a real issue soon enough on EDC keyring flashlights.
    I can see the benefits of checking that market every few years to upgrade to something that does a lot more and is more convenient to operate.

But knives . . .
    I mean the bigger changes from obsidian to metal, from copper to bronze, to iron, to steel should have had a huge impact on EDC,
    but a great knife from the time where the 3 cell Maglite was a state of the art flashlight is still a great knife today.

16. Gary Gross

Gary Gross Loaded Pockets

Keep in mind that there is a difference between user and collector. As a guy who wears dress clothes 6 days a week, I have no legitimate use for anything even remotely tactical. But I like what I like and rotate every piece of gear every day. It's just something I enjoy.

That said, because of the size of my collection, I've found that I have absolutely everything that meets my needs so purchases are much less frequent now. Certain things I do collect when a new model comes out that strikes my fancy. Otherwise I'm satisfied with what I have. Now I spend money on other things.

17. kikaida

kikaida Loaded Pockets

Then you're like me. You have "Last Gear Syndrome (LGS)", which is the opposite of GAS. Thom Hogan coined the term for photographers who have reached the point that their current gear is good enough and don't feel the need to continually buy more gear. I've pretty much have everything I need for EDC. But I just recently got a new Anker powerbank, but only because I'm going on an international trip to visit family and plan to give my current powerbank as a gift, so it gave me an excuse to buy the nice Anker powerbank.

Other than that, I have everything I need now and have no desire to purchase more unless absolutely needed to replace something lost or stolen. So definitely there are those people who past the GAS stage,and have achieved LGS.

Last edited by kikaida, Jan 22, 2019
    #17 kikaida, Jan 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
  18. landwire
    • In Omnia Paratus

landwire Loaded Pockets

Is this your car by any chance? This was the dream setup when I wore a tie just about every day.

[​IMG]

karlito, twin63, ran23 and 4 others like this.
  19. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

Yea, it's easy to get carried away, and it happened to me as well.
    However there are different ways to look at this. Initially I didn't plan to go on a buying spree, but at some point I got more interested in the tools them self and not only the tasks they were going to solve. Being a curious person with a predictable financial situation, I continued to buy gear to learn more about it. Different knives in different materials, different locking mechanisms, different sizes and so on. Same with watches; mechanical, quartz, titanium, steel, diver, military and so on.
    I do sell off some items occasionally, and I will sell most items eventually. As I can afford to keep more than I need, this gives me the opportunity to better compare items directly.
    In the end I will lose some money on this, but I'm also learning and having fun, and that's worth something as well.

It's true that social media is a driving force behind GAS, but I think this forum is a lot better than IG, FB etc. in that regard. This place is more slow paced, and you can get actual useful info here, that could potentially save you some money as well.

20. el_murdoque

I honestly am under the impression of being done for the moment.
    I edc a knife and a flashlight and after some recent purchases - which were financed by sales, so I ended up with less gear instead of more - I think I found a reliable bunch of gear that allows for rotation to keep things both simple and diversified enough to suit my moods without bordering on the excessive or marking me as a collector.

Three knives and three (point five) flashlights to choose from when I put on my pants in the morning:
    [​IMG]
    -Spyderco Urban (modded by Cuscadi) as a 'finer' version of a pocket knife. Small enough to not cause comment in an Office.
    -Manly Wasp. I normally don't like THO knives, but this one is so good in all other aspects that I'm willing to put up with it.
    -Spyderco UKPK. So unexciting. So common. But a perfect fit for all my needs.
    -Lumintop Tool AAA. One in copper with the Nichia LED and one in black with the Cree. The latter usually serves as my backup light in my bag or backpack. The former sees a lot of use. It just disappears in my pants pockets. I like the looks and I like the light.
    -Olight S1 Mini Baton HCRI. I bought that one because of the battery that recharges with standard USB, so I can use it with my powerbank or phone charger without bringing the extra cable. This might actually replace the Tool as my backup light since it eliminates the need for spare batteries. I have a small powerbank in the bag.
    -Olight S1RII Baton. A whopping thousand Lumens in the palm of your hand - or in your pants pocket without weighing you down. First choice during winter where I use the light to light my way around as much as for searching stuff under the desk.

twin63 and Moshe ben David like this.