1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Are you ever afraid to whip it out?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by ecksdog, Jul 1, 2011.

1. powerring
    • In Omnia Paratus

powerring Loaded Pockets

Tpu

Edit: Wow, I think I pocket posted. That may be a first!

Last edited by adamperry, Apr 30, 2012
  2. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

I knew I couldn't be the only one to do that! I might have said it before but I don't think I've ever encountered knife "fear" before but I get knife "disapproval" all the time.

Analog.Upload likes this.
  3. chrischoi

chrischoi Loaded Pockets

I pull it out and cut my cuticles or something when no one is around by my co-workers.
    If I'm doing a task or using it as a tool, sure. If they have a problem, they can just tell me. In front of clients / customers... Never.

4. Lightnig

Lightnig Loaded Pockets

Or Bali's, that kills me. So many great Bali's out there I would love to get, but can't. argh.

Otherwise, yeah, reasonable knife laws here.

5. MR24927
    • In Omnia Paratus

MR24927 Loaded Pockets

its all the way you do it

6. gadgetjack

gadgetjack Loaded Pockets

I currently work in a place where I can and do carry a variety of knives from large tactical folders to small SAKs. I tend to be discrete with whatever I carry. I want my coworkers to be comfortable, to want to see my knives, and have a positive experience with my knives. I have helped convince many coworkers that a knife is a tool first. A couple have even found that an SAK is a gateway to EDC nirvana.

7. Kai Winters

Kai Winters Loaded Pockets

Everyone wears a belt knife, supplied by the job, at work. My knife draws attention because it, they, are nice knives and always draw knife stories by my co-workers.
    So to answer the question of this thread: Nope not afraid to "whip it out" at all.

8. chrischoi

chrischoi Loaded Pockets

This showed up 4 days ago in the news.

I went to high school with him. Apparently, he was not afraid to "whip it out". ;)

9. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

I'm surprised that only took 6 pages

10. chrischoi

chrischoi Loaded Pockets

I was gonna crack a Megan's Law joke, but contained myself. I randomly remembered this article and had to.

11. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

I don't carry a "tactical" knife anymore, I don't need it for 99% of my cutting jobs.

I do carry a scary sharp Victorinox electrician (Alox scales) every day.

2 days ago I was standing in a photo studio with a journalist, a PR person and a Singer/Dancer (Timomatic - but I doubt anyone here has heard of him)
    I had trouble rolling up a roll of white seamless paper, so I could use the black paper hung behind it, I whipped out my knife, opened it up and sliced off the section of paper that was giving me trouble.

All 3 people were surprised I had a knife, but glad I quickly fixed the problem and got n with the shoot.

12. sheriferson

sheriferson Loaded Pockets

I've always wondered about the specifics of knife-carry laws in Canada (specifically Ontario). Can you elaborate on what you said? What constitutes an "automatic knife"? Can you link to which knife you carry around? Thanks.

13. dmattaponi

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

To answer your question, "Yes". I work in a very "liberal" environment, and I can only imagine the horror if I did something like what you've described above. For that reason, I carry a nice old fashioned SAK. No one at the work luncheons/picnics even bats an eye at a SAK (in fact a number of others carry one). Not to mention that I've found the SAK much more useful on an daily basis than any of my "tactical" folders.

14. sl66ICEcuba

sl66ICEcuba Loaded Pockets

If there is a physical button to open a knife with a spring, it is illegal, butterfly knives are as well. Assisted opening knives ARE legal since it is the tang that you are using to flip the blade open with. We (as Canadians) are kept in the dark about our sharp implement carry laws, the police are not keen on people carrying knifes regardless of it only being a tool not a weapon. They do it more as a prevention through fear rather than people carrying or not carrying a knife knowing the rules. They create this fear by lack of knowledge, people (in Canada not all but many) still believe there is a carry size limit (this only happens because we are not well informed about the true laws. Fixed blades have to be sheathed and exposed while folders need to be exposed (clip showing). My friend works for Brinks and currently is in the process of becoming a police officer, he was the one who taught me about it and I researched this even further. For the most part just use discretion when using your knife, do not wave it around, flaunt it because you know the law, etc and you will be fine. If an officer ever questions you, say it is a "tool" not a "weapon" and I have it exposed not concealed, you should be ok.

Spyderco Military
    http: //www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=19

15. JPHing

JPHing Loaded Pockets

I need to be jacked on Canada knife laws. I may be going there soon to see my family there

As far as flipping my knife open there's such a thing imo as knife courtesy.
    I will only flip a knife open if im using it to protect myself

For edc I use the thumb studs or use 2 hands to avoid try and look less threatening.
    Before that I will reassure everyone around me that the knife I'm using is only my edc tool for cutting not a weapon.

The exception will be my family and close friends as they know me well.

16. Dok J

Dok J Loaded Pockets

I've got no tactical folder on me, so won't use it to peel an apple.

I do EDC a SAK and a Taramundi slipjoint.
    I work in a quite big hospital, so plenty people around, mostly females (not as lucky as you might think). I've used the SAK to open letters and bottles and no one seemed to care. I usually cut my fruit with the Taramundi and only responses I've got are from one doctor who liked it (he's into fencing) and a nurse who borrowed it, well actually I made her borrow it before she got cut with a very dull knife...
    So I guess it's more about how you act with your knife than actually pulling one. Tactical or autos may be the exception here.

17. Ktowngunner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Ktowngunner Loaded Pockets

I try to be conscious of who I'm around, but will use whatever I feel will best do the job. I agree with several other people that have said that it depends more on how you present it than the fact you use it. Sure some people will panic if they see any knife, but most are fairly reasonable, at least around where I live. When I pull out my ZT0350 for something around the office no one bats an eye. Your situation may be different, but the people I work with know I carry a knife and will help them with any cutting task they so desire.

18. alukardfe

alukardfe Loaded Pockets

Yes I sometimes use a small blade or just a multitool blade but i carry a bigger blade allways

19. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

neutrontech Loaded Pockets

Nine times out of ten the only one noticing you flip open a knife is you

ChrisJ and blacmud8 like this.
  20. alukardfe

alukardfe Loaded Pockets

That is true people do not see that but hey who would risk it.I would get fired the first time, when i use my small blade or my multitool i see that people dont like it.Imagine a 3" blade