1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Are you ever afraid to whip it out?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by ecksdog, Jul 1, 2011.

1. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

neutrontech Loaded Pockets

I find it awful inconsiderate that others would try to stop me from enjoying my purchased items when they are in no way harming another individual. Yet, I don't see many others attempting to make me feel comfortable, instead I see attempts to make me feel uncomfortable. See, there are many more than just a single viewpoint here. While trying to defend one, you are, in effect, doing the same thing to another group. It is never ending, and it boils down to the fact that you cannot please everyone all the time.

2. jeeves3443

jeeves3443 Loaded Pockets

Your wording was a little confusing to me but you're right. Though, I'm not sure that's the focus of this discussion. I don't think anyone could ever be aware of efforts made in the regard of others regarding personal 'comfort' beyond the physical. You seem to think that the cause of being considerate is lost and that we should stop trying all together. I Know that you're not saying, "F-the world, I do what I want." However, you are saying that because of the situation you find yourself in most often that it doesn't really matter, and that the one 'ninny' that comes into your place of business and isn't comfortable around weapons, can find the door if they're really that bothered by it.

You will, and should, do as you please, when you please. However, for those that find themselves surrounded by *******, in a sheltered environment such as an office,(especially when those ******* sign their paychecks) being considerate may take precedence over ones assumed 'right' to use as large a knife as they please.
    No one is trying to take your tools, or tell you that you can't use them if other people are around. The point is, that considering how others are made to feel by your actions is something that MUST be considered in some scenarios. It's foolhardy to assume that what is acceptable and normal in one realm is acceptable in all.

No need for the defensive demeanor. We're all similar here. We share similar views about these topics and there's really no need to be so cross.

3. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

If I came across...... Cross toward you, my apologies. I was simply trying to give an example, poorly at that, about consideration being a two way street. You figured out what I meant, though. Btw, if I wasnt clear about this, an employment setting is not a place to be excersizing your expressive righs for the most part. Most of the time you have to be a different individual at work. I understand and accept that a whip it out action can cause termination and should be avoided.

On my personal time, however, thats the time I am referring to in my posts.

I also admit that my opinion on knives is very likely the majority whre i live, but a minority in other parts. Cub scouts are still issued knives here, a pouch on the belt or clip on the pockets is most noticed when it is mising, its expected and standard attire round my area. So this i what ive grown up with and just like the knife haters out there dont understand me, i dont understand them. Neither side appreciates the other. Its unblievable to me almost that someon would act in such a way regarding a knife. Ive never witnessed it.

So its not that im selfish or inconsiderate, it is just a ludicrous fear to me, when my community treats the knife as a tool of necessity that a man should always have on him.

4. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

still going...and going...and .....

5. jeeves3443

jeeves3443 Loaded Pockets

Good post. Thanks for the input and well thought out response.

6. BrownMajik

BrownMajik Empty Pockets

Yes but i carry a small SAK fir social settings. And a great big emerson for non sociable ones.

7. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

8. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

And you as well, not patronizing at all. so now we are trolling? Nice contribution..

9. ChrisJ

ChrisJ Loaded Pockets

How exactly am I responsible for other people's reactions?

10. Idaho Gunslinger

Idaho Gunslinger Loaded Pockets

Around here you would be considered weird if you DIDN'T have a knife to whip out. Move to Idaho folks. Ya'll will love it.

ChrisJ likes this.
  11. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

Yes, in many areas (including my own) seeing someone whip out a knife is as common and normal as seeing someone whip out a cell phone.

ChrisJ likes this.
  12. paaiyan

paaiyan Loaded Pockets

I'm one of almost a dozen people I think in my company who carries a concealed firearm, and even those who don't are mostly regular Oklahoma folk. I have what I deem to be a pretty aggressive-looking knife with a very loud and fast opening mechanism, and no one blinks an eye when I flip it open. I was at a client last week when I flipped it open to cut some packaging not thinking, and my client being out in McAlester where there's plenty of good ol' boys, the employee there who was with me in their server room just asked me to look at it when I was done cutting and said he liked it.

13. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

Yup, pretty typical reaction. I seriously believe that a lot of knife fear is exaggerated, and that most negative reactions toward knife use are in the users mind. If people think there is a fear, they sometimes become self conscious and see that fear everywhere. Not always the case, but a lot of the time it is.

14. jnsn

jnsn Loaded Pockets

not at all afraid as i am 100% within the law.

ChrisJ likes this.
  15. ATF

ATF Loaded Pockets

^ Agreed. If it's legal, why should I (or anybody for that matter) be concerned with 'whipping it out'?

ChrisJ likes this.
  16. blacmud8

blacmud8 Loaded Pockets

Very interesting point. I've never thought about it that way.

I tend not to 'whip it out'. I spend most of my time in the reading rooms of the national library, you're not even allowed bottled water or bags in there, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't take too kindly to me pulling out a knife to clean my finger nails/whatever. Luckily while I'm in there there's never a reason to get my knife out, as all I'm doing is working. If I'm in the cafe and something in my lunch needs cutting then I'll by all means use my knife, but I tend to carry smaller, more discreet and less 'tactical' looking folders so negative reactions aren't something I really worry about. That and I'm possibly not the most perceptive person in the whole wide world.

17. ProjeKtWEREWOLF

ProjeKtWEREWOLF Loaded Pockets

I live in the UK....our knife laws are very stringent (sub 3", slippies only). I used to edc a Spyderco UKPK, but too many negative comments caused me to move to a Squeak instead. It does everything I need it to, and if I'm in the woods or whatever, then I'll carry something more appropriate as I would have a legally defensible need to carry something like a fixed blade or a large locker.

18. Farchyld
    • In Omnia Paratus

Farchyld Loaded Pockets

Never afraid. Also, never afraid to pull out my knife. CQC15 full sized now, moving to a 0560. Still within my limits here.

Cheers!

19. sl66ICEcuba

sl66ICEcuba Loaded Pockets

Not afraid at all, here in Canada, our knife laws are, for the most part, very relaxed. No blade size limit carry limit as long as the knife is exposed (clipped or sheathed). No automatic knives either. I carry my Military with me almost on a daily basis and gets used regardless of where I am.

20. Analog.Upload

Analog.Upload Loaded Pockets

most of you with kids probably know/remember how kids cups at fast food places are super small and since Americans need 3 gallons of coke with their cheese burger the straws are like a foot long. now put the foot long straw into a 3 inch deep cup and watch a 3 year old drink (hint mess goes here). so simple fix cut the straw, pulling out a knife in a mcdonalds play area to trim a straw is ... awkward. but over the last year my daughter now expects ... no demands that i "fix straw" whenever we go out.

kertap75 likes this.