1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Are you ever afraid to whip it out?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by ecksdog, Jul 1, 2011.

1. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

Actually, I understand wanting the attention with special/odd/high-end tools. If ever a situation would come up in the office where a micro grappling hook could save the day, I'd have trouble wiping the grin off my face for the rest of the day. Or if someone needed a flashlight, I wouldn't hesitate to dazzle them with mine. But let's face it, knives are different. Legal or not, if it looks like a weapon, it looks like a weapon, regardless of any tool status.

2. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

neutrontech Loaded Pockets

The work place is very different than the rest of the world. Generally, your freedoms don't exist on the job. Is a tactical knife appropriate at work? Probably not at most jobs, simply because there are rules in place that don't allow them. I'm self employed so this really isn't an issue for me. I honestly think many people over think this whole knife thing and are too self conscious about it. I think if you are cutting an apple, for example, it doesn't really matter what type of knife you pull out. For the most part, people aren't going to have much of a reaction given the circumstances. Which I also think is true for most cutting tasks. But just flipping it out while walking down the road, playing with it, might draw attention.

I also think you left out a type of EDCer. The type who uses their tools how they see fit, and don't give darn what what anyone thinks. I'm not talking consciously thinking "who cares what they think", I'm talking about those where it just plain doesn't enter their mind. When I use my knife, I'm thinking about the task at hand. At no point does it even cross my mind how others feel about my knife, clothes, or any other gear. This type of person isn't trying to draw attention to their gear, nor are they trying to avoid it. It's just not a factor worth considering. They go about their life being happy and enjoying their stuff without the burden of worrying about how they are perceived.

So just to clarify, I choose my knife based on personal preference and legality. Once I have chosen, it never crosses my mind what others think. I use my EDC when needed in a way I see fit. I don't try to attract attention or try to avoid it, it's just not a factor. I'm not a crazy person waving my knife around like a lunatic. I mind my own business, don't break any laws and follow the rules and guidelines that I'm expected to adhere to. I try to be helpful to others and I do go out of my way to lend a hand to those I see might need it. Just because I don't worry about my knife making people uncomfortable, doesn't make me a bad person or an attention seeker. Women that look more like a man than I do, make me uncomfortable and I don't see any of them attempting to ease my mind. So I'm of the opinion that each should mind their own business, and if you don't like to see something, don't look.

3. ChrisJ

ChrisJ Loaded Pockets

Well said

4. nbmaine2007

nbmaine2007 Loaded Pockets

Those people fall into #2 in my opinion. Although a common trait amongst them is denial about it. Again, you can disagree. This is just my theory on it. Statements like "each should mind their own business, and if you don't like to see something, don't look" just makes me more confident in my opinion.

5. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

I suppose we can agree to disagree then. Truth is, I have never even thought about another person being wary of my knife until I joined this forum. I'd be lying to say that I don't occasionally look around to see if I am attracting attention, now that this forum has enlightened me that this does occur. I still don't let it affect my decision to use my knife, but believe it or not, I can honestly say that until I joined EDCF I never once ever gave it a passing thought. I will say that the times that I have looked around, not a single person seemed to notice/care.

I have even tried experiments. I've sat in the waiting room at the doctors office, in line at the store, and various other public places, flipping out my knife and picking my nails with it or just opening and closing it. I have yet to see someone give me more than a glancing look (when hearing the snap). I've carried on conversations with people and randomly pulled out the knife to clean my nails, and there wasn't even a pause in their sentence other than the occasional "nice knife" comment. This leads me to believe that it's not as big of a deal as people think it is.

Still, in times where I am into what I'm doing, when the need for a knife arises, a majority of the time I still don't think about the opinion of others except as an afterthought. I really don't believe I am in denial about anything. Maybe it's just the area that I live. Knives are just so commonplace that you probably will attract more attention by NOT having a knife. I've seen people ask others to borrow a knife, and the response is generally "where's yours?". And when someone needs to borrow a knife, they don't ask "do you have a knife I can borrow?" it is "can I borrow your knife?". It's just assumed that everyone has one. So, while I don't ever see anyone pay any attention to my knives, that's not to say that this doesn't happen in other areas.

6. compy222

compy222 Loaded Pockets

i routinely use my 530sbk (3.25 in benchmade folder with serrations and black tini blade) to do things like open the mail, boxes, etc. my boss jokingly refers to it as my "switchblade," laughable as he routinely asks to borrow it in the office. i only have one other direct coworker, he has started bringing his folder to open the mail now too. i'm not really worried about it. i wouldn't be sitting in a meeting and playing with it, there is a time and a place for everything.

i'll often switch to my back-up, which is a damascus kershaw scallion, far less intimidating and people are really intrigued by the design of the damascus.

7. nothinghappenedtoday

nothinghappenedtoday Empty Pockets

I just bite my apples, no need to cut them...

8. jeeves3443

jeeves3443 Loaded Pockets

The blame cannot be placed on anyone but yourself. It's your responsibility to be concious of how others might feel in the presense of such a tool.
    Just because you can yell FIRE when you're out in the country, away from crowds of people, certainly does not mean that it's ok for you to do so in a theatre or other crowded area. Applying your logic, you should be able to yell what ever you want. It's not your fault "The Fear Mongerers" have made the masses afraid of a little fire. It simply doesn't make sense.
    I get it, you're self-employed and you don't care what anyone thinks of you and apparently there aren't many consiquences for your actions. Consider, though, if one of your clients says they'll no longer do business w/you because you scared their grandmother on your last visit to the house (I have no idea what you do). Maybe then you'd understand the value of discretion/observant use.

Just because you believe there's no reason for anyone to 'fear' your knife, doesn't mean they don't. I don't think there's any reason to fear snakes or spiders but many, MANY people are deathly afraid of said creatures. It's not their fault, but it's my responsibility to not use or play with my fake rubber insects and reptiles when those people are around. I gues it all boils down to consideration and respect, both for others and how you want to portray yourself.

Hmm, an extra 1.5 inches. I can think of several situations where that would make a ginormous amount of difference. You may not think it's much, but obviously others do.
    It's aparent that it doesn't matter to you and that you don't interact with many people who care either. In fact, i'm not sure what you're arguing/involved in this discussion for. Just be mindful of others and it will get/take you farther than you realise.

Always use discretion.

~Jeeves.

9. DialM

DialM Loaded Pockets

I pulled out my Alias II Blue with Damasteel blade the other day at the office and got a "did you just pull that out of your pocket?" It was pretty funny, actually. The guy needed a knife but was surprised that I had one. My nonchalance through the exchange made him comfortable. I wasn't afraid to whip it out, and wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

10. nothinghappenedtoday

nothinghappenedtoday Empty Pockets

This is why I usually carry a small SAK or Leatherman Juice in addition to my EDC knife. Why draw attention to yourself? The SAK or Leatherman can handle just about any cutting chore in the world, and freaks-out nobody. Plus, it keeps my "higher-end" knives from getting all gummed up with apple-juice and whatnot, or if someone needs to borrow a knife, they get the inexpensive, easy-to-replace-and-sharpen SAK.

There's this bar that I go to where I've noticed how two different bartenders handle their knives (which they use to cut those plastic six-pack rings before throwing out). One young bartender uses some 5+ inch one handed opening tactical folder with half serrations that he flicks open with his wrist (not using the thubstud) with great panache and a loud click, and proceeds to slice the plastic rings. Then, of course, closes the whole thing one handed and it goes back into it's sheath.

The other older bartender just pulls out a small jack-knife, the type with the bone scales that all our grandfathers had with maybe a 2-inch blade, uses both hands to open it up, cut the rings, closes it with both hands, and in the pocket it goes. No flair, no panache, and more importantly, non-threatening.

I should also note, all of the female bartenders use scissors for the same job. Now that's the best tool for the job! I tend to notice that us knife-knuts tend to use our knives DESPITE having a more appropriate tool at hand because we LOVE using our knives. I'm guilty of this, but I'm also aware of who's around me, and I'm pretty sure that most people wouldn't appreciate me pulling out a small fixed-blade just to cut a loose thread from my shirt in the office.

11. Prybry

Prybry Loaded Pockets

As a 25 year member of the “office staff” I can pretty much confirm that opinions vary, and I think the perception of “tool” versus “weapon” is based solely on the back ground of the person standing in front of you while you use your knife. I’ve gotten good at determining at a glance the effect my tools will have on a person. This is precisely why I carry two options all the time… a SAK Explorer and a double bladed Buck Crosslock. I can also tell you that given that amount of time around other office staff, I’m known to carry knives able to get various jobs done… most also know I have a couple flashlights and other “tools” which come in handy.

I believe most EDC’ers try to practice this philosophy in order to maintain the peace…

12. Talonanx

Talonanx Loaded Pockets

I carry a Buck 110 on my belt everyday and no-one at my work ever gets scared...maybe because I work on a farm :dance: . I also carry some sort of slip-joint also incase my Buck is a little to intimadating.

13. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

sigh...... Most of what you have said is completely meaningless due to the fact that I have stated multiple times that the work place is a completely different scenario. When it comes to work, most of the time you don't have a choice due to policies and what not. The blame is on me? ok. If that is what you think. I don't blame anyone for my fears. And I'm sorry, but yelling "fire!!!" in a crowded theater is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT than my minding my own business, flipping open my knife the way it was intended to be opened, and cutting a string hanging from my shirt, or opening a package. It's pretty obvious that when seeing someone cut open a package that there is no ill intent involved. That's about as bad as someone freaking out while a starting gun is fired at the beginning of a race.

If I flicked open my knife and started to frantically wave it around, then I would certainly understand others being concerned, and I would expect them to be. But seriously? Flipping open my knife to cut an apple?? If someone flips out over someone prepping food, that person has bigger issues to deal with.

It is also not the same thing as a snake or spider. Snakes and spiders act on their own and regardless of environment. A knife isn't doing anything on its own other than what the owner is using it for. So there you must, again, look at the context of use. If the knife us being waved around by a crazy acting owner, then someone really should be worried. But a knife slicing through the owners apple is just ludicrous for me to worry about someone being afraid.

Sure, others might not see a knife as a tool. They might see it as a weapon. But when that "weapon" is being used to cut a box open by a calm, collected individual, then folded and put away immediately after that box is opened, there is absolutely no reason whatsoever to fear it.

Now, this all being said. I realize that people do fear things for no apparent reason, and sometimes it is a medical condition or some other phobia causing reason. But it certainly isn't my fault, nor is it my responsibility to worry about the possibility of someone being afraid of me using my knife. If that were the case, I should just stay home, because there are people who are afraid of everything out there and I never know when I might run into one of them. Should I take the possible fear of everything into consideration??? No, I just go about my day and mind my own business. If I do have to do something that I really think would invoke a rational fear, you bet I would consider their feelings. The bottom line is that I pose no threat to anyone and it just doesn't occur to me when I need to use my knife that others might be. I just need my knife, and react instinctively by grabbing my knife.

14. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

My grandfather used to say, "Would you do that in front of Grandma?" Most of the time I would not!! And if you would, live with it or you are OK. ;) Simple.

15. Atomic

Atomic Loaded Pockets

I live in Mississippi and grew up in Louisiana, country boys are expected to carry a knife. I've personally been carrying a knife since I was 4 years old. (According to my mother.) I've never worried much about whipping it out. Other than a few females I've never gotten a sideways glance.

16. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

Yeah pretty much the same here. I just feel that I purchased a knife that I like. I enjoy using it whenever I can. I'm not breaking any laws, nor any rules. I'm not hurting anyone, nor do I have any evil intentions whatsoever. I whip it out, use it for the task at hand, and put it away. I don't look around to see the responses, and quite frankly, it doesn't occur to me that there would be any. I have done absolutely nothing wrong. If someone is uncomfortable with that, I guess I'm sorry but in no way, were my actions threatening in any way shape or form. Like I said earlier, I never even knew that this was a concern until reading about it here on EDCF.

I don't use my knife to flaunt it, I don't pull it out to play with it..... usually, and I certainly don't do anything aggressive with it. I don't pull it out for others to notice, I flick it open with the audible "click" for MY enjoyment when needed. However, it is the intended and proper method of opening my knife.

I know you are all sick of me beating a dead horse, but with some of the responses to my posts, I feel I am being misunderstood. I am not out to make anyone uncomfortable intentionally. I normally go way out of my way for others, and will give the shirt off my back to someone who really needs it. Obviously there is a time and a place for everything. I might choose not to carry such a knife at a formal event, not because of the feelings of others, but because it lacks the formalness (not a word, I know) I desire. Just like I would wear a watch with hands vs a digital in such an event. So, I apologize for going on and on about this, I just hate being misunderstood. If this doesn't clarify it, then I just won't be able to and this will be my final post on the topic (oops, hehe one more). If someone is still in disagreement with me, then we'll just have to agree to disagree. I respect your choice, please respect mine.

Thanks

17. Atomic

Atomic Loaded Pockets

The other day I was at the store and looking a little too long at a girls bum her husband noticed. I saw the blade on his side but he felt the need to pull it out and act like he was doing something in his mouth with it. I started to pull a larger but folding knife, my Benchmade Apparition and clean my fingernails but I just let it go and smiled when I walked by.

18. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Circuits

BUSTED! Why would you stick a knife in your mouth maybe he was trying out for circus act!

19. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Afraid? No, not afraid.

Do I do that? No, however, I won't hesitate to do so in an exigent circumstance or one in which it is the only manner that I can do so to otherwise resolve a urgent need so as to simulataneoiusly abate any criticism of the act itself.

Other than the reference to a rude act involving an anatomical part, the act itself generally has an underlying sophomoric tone that evokes less than mature connotations of indifference to others whom are far less likely to understand the desire to carry a knife than they are to vociferously criticize the actual carry of one.

They invariably form the majority that ultimately decide whether those of us in minority that actually do feel the need to carry a knife shall continue to carry one.

The act also bespeaks of arrogance and a disdain for any local ordinances that prohibit such acts for they are categorized as "brandishing" in certain circumstances.

I keep a low profile by NOT "whipping it out" so that I can continue to carry one, whether in the municipality in which I have chosen to work and reside or, particularly, while visiting another.

20. jeeves3443

jeeves3443 Loaded Pockets

Regardless of the scenario, and however 'entitled' you may feel about your 'right' to use your tool of choice, doesn't change the fact that it's your responsibility, nay, your duty to use your tools in an appropriate and socially acceptable time and place.

YOU are responsible for how others react to the things YOU do, in any facet of life, especially regarding tools/weapons. Simply because you choose to ignore the implications and/or effects doesn't mean they go away. 0dBm has a good point. Eventually, the masses control the minority, and if the masses are made uncomfortable by inconsiderate use, it can and will affect our right to use the tools we own.

If you're self employed and aren't ever in a typical 'office' scenario then I'm not sure how meaningful your opinion might be to the topic at hand. As a side note, fine, your input and view points are appreciated, but perhaps before anyone calls anyone else's input meaningless, every member should consider their own relevance and experience in the topic of discussion.

As always, 0dBm has a spot-on view of the topic and has shared his opinion in a clear concise manner. Whether you want to believe it or not, your actions effect others in ways you can't imagine. Though, it's awful inconsiderate to not even try to realize the effect said actions might have. We could all take a note from his post(s).