1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Are you ever afraid to whip it out?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by ecksdog, Jul 1, 2011.

1. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

neutrontech Loaded Pockets

I do not own a SAK. I find multitools to be far more useful. I do own several of those, both small and large.

2. Accessory Man

Accessory Man Loaded Pockets

I have no problem using my knife whenever needed in any environment. I have done it in office jobs, and anywhere else.... heck even the food court at the mall. Never had a problem, even back in the day with an auto knife, or even a boot knife. If someone said samething about it being a weapon, I would say, no... thats what the glock on my hip is for

3. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

Discretion is key in everyting I do. I have no need to advertise anything to anyone. I don't necessarily agree with some opinions necessarily but doing something that others might find objectionable is just not worth the fight for me. I'm getting old though..

4. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

Like I said, I'm not going out of my way to frighten anyone. I don't intentionally try and scare as many people as I can when pulling out my knife. I have no desire to make anyone uncomfortable, I just don't give it any thought at all. I take out my knife, use it, then put it away. I pay no attention to what anyone else is saying or doing. I just mind my own business, just as they should be doing. To me it's no different than pulling out my flashlight, and I don't pull it out anymore or less in public then I would in my own home.

5. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

^ah..yeah...my comment was not directed at you, just my opinion... to the original question??

6. jcc

jcc Banned

As long as I'm in accordance with the law I have no apprehension about anything that I do. On the same token, I'm not waving my knife around or playing with it, I take it out with purpose, and I put it away.

7. WillCAD

WillCAD Loaded Pockets

According to the spec sheet on Spyderco's web site, the Endura is 8-3/4" long when open. That really is a pretty big folder; it's as big as some fixed blade knives.

Maybe while you're at work, since the Endura has caused you some trouble in the past, you might consider switching to a smaller, more innocuous folder. Perhaps a Native, or one of the other models under 7" in length. Or even another brand; I alternate my EDC between a Benchmade Mini-Griptillian 556S, a Buck Alpha Dorado, and sometimes a Kershaw Ti ATS 34. All are under 7" when open, but all are tough, capable blades that have served me well for years.

8. jegrundh

jegrundh Loaded Pockets

I find it also useful to know the rules/laws regarding knife carry by memory. When someone is like "is that even legal to carry?" (to my small 2 3/4" drifter" I can recite for them legal blade lengths and where it's legal to have, or have not. Or if they say "that's a weapon" i say "no, it's a tool that should be used safely and properly". But again if all else fails i still have the leatherman squirt on my keychain or my Juice in my Maxped EDC organizer (soon to be upgraded to a surge).

As far as SAK's go, i used to use them, but have swapped out mostly to Leatherman's. However i always LOVED how sharp the blades on the knives were, and how they were manufactured to great standards. However didn't like how they tend to attract gunk in the innter tracks and how hard that is to get to that without fully stripping the thing. Just my 2 cents

9. XCarbonSteelx

XCarbonSteelx Loaded Pockets

I work in 'Corporate America', I've been known to take my SOG Flash II out during meetings when needed.

10. bobbystoney

bobbystoney Loaded Pockets

I'm not allowed to carry a knife at work.:'(

11. midnightreport

midnightreport Loaded Pockets

The urban liberal-arts college I currently attend has a huge number of sheltered privileged hipster-types who automatically equate any sharp object = weapon. My campus also has a "zero-tolerance" policy regarding "weapons", so I carry both a SAK and a larger dedicated folder. Because I don't want to be expelled for carrying a "weapon", I tend to use my SAK on most everyday tasks, especially if I'm in public. However, I will (happily) pull out and use my larger folder if I'm alone, among my few knife-carrying friends, or the situation warrants it.

12. ace19636

ace19636 Loaded Pockets

Only if a cop is around then i will open my folder slowly other than that my knifes come out when thay need to and they come out fast.

13. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

A nearby cop isn't going to put the breaks on how fast I pull out my blade. I've had officers compliment my equipment. :)

14. cibolodave

cibolodave Loaded Pockets

I use to be a little paranoid about taking out my knife at work until I switched to a smaller one. Lately I have been EDCing a Spyderco Ambitious, Kershaw od and SOG Flash I

15. Flexxx

Flexxx BST/Marketplace ban

Only when my wife let me.....

16. jeeves3443

jeeves3443 Loaded Pockets

I don't believe the topic of self defense with a knife, or at all, has been referenced in this thread. The topic is about inadvertantly scaring or making others in the work place uncomfortable by using/deploying a knife. Namely one larger than the typical SAK.

Let's keep this conversation positive, productive, and on topic please.

With that, I carry a Viccy Camper and my coworkers think it's cute. I've used my Manix2'glow' and it's large enough that it pulls people out of what they're focusing on. It's not caused any problems, but it's obvious (to me) that they've taken notice. If I feel it might make someone uncomfortable, I'll try and find a more suitable tool.

Really, I think the issue here is that the people you work with might be a little scared or made uncomfortable by the sight of a knife. Though, I think the heart of this issue specifically is the use of an inappropriately/unsuitably large knife.
    If you're using a knife to cut an apple, does it need to be able to cut the apple in half, like a chef's knife?
    I understand that most people carry one, maybe two knives on them and that, in most cases, the larger/tactical flipper/folder is the easiest to access. That's not the case in my situation, as I only have one knife on me at a time. There are others in my bag, but It's not a 'fanny' pack, so I don't ALWAYS have it right next to me. I see the conundrum. What needs to be realized and accepted here is that sometimes the knife you're carrying isn't exactly suited for all tasks. Will a machete slice an apple? Yes, but that machete will also make people uncomfortable, it's not their fault, it's yours. Always use the right tool for the job.

Would you be freaking out and a little nervous if a construction crew was using high-explosives to break up a section of side walk? Probably so. It would be more appropriate for them to use a sledge hammer, or jack/pneumatic hammer.

The right tool, for the right job, for the right place.
    I think that's the heart of EDC.

~Jeeves

17. TransportJockey

TransportJockey Loaded Pockets

Since almost everyone I work with (911 ambulance service) carries at least one blade, it's no big deal if we pull a knife out to do chores around the station or open up supplies. And out and about, if I need to use my knife, I pull it out and use it. No big deal

18. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

I sorta disagree there. If, in the case of a machete, then I might agree. However, if I use my 3.5" flipper vs a 2" on my MT to cut a knife, it's not my fault that a person would be frightened by an extra 1.5" of blade. It's' not unreasonable to use a 3.5" blade to cut an apple. Especially since most people only carry one knife. I also don't believe it is their fault either. It is the fear mongering people that spread this irrational fear that should be blamed. The blade I choose to carry is a blade that I feel is appropriate in all situations that I would run into.

I primarily carry a Kershaw OSO Sweet, which includes speed safe assisted opening. I feel this knife is completely appropriate to be flipped open and used for any scenario that I would run into on a daily basis. There really is no reason for someone to feel uncomfortable seeing this knife. Honestly I feel as long as I am within the law, I have no reason to consider what other people think about my knife, nor does anyone have a rational reason to be uncomfortable around it. Unless I start waving it around frantically screaming about the end of the world in a strange tongue backwards.

19. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

Indeed and +1.

On the other hand, some of you may have missed what the OP said:
    Now ask yourselves, is a tactical knife an appropriate tool for cutting up an apple? Yeah, sure it can do the job. Not well, mind, because tactical knives are sharpened prybars. But most likely you can still force it through an apple. Just like you can use a sledgehammer to drive nails. If you saw someone do that, would you think it's cool, or perhaps slightly foolish?

No, I wouldn't use a tactical knife to cut up an apple at the office breakroom. To begin with, if I did carry a tactical knife, I wouldn't want to advertise that fact to everyone. And besides, my office breakroom is well supplied with paring knives so there's no need. Paring knives, as it happens, are appropriate tools for cutting up apples.

20. nbmaine2007

nbmaine2007 Loaded Pockets

You nailed it. I've always believed that there are a few different type of EDCers. 1) There are people who do hard work for a living, use tools for their trade, and carry what they need to get the job done. 2) There are people who go out of their way to use their tools, most often with the intent of drawing attention to themselves. 3) People who carry stuff and don't like to broadcast it to the world.

I don't think that any of them are necessarily bad. Different strokes for different folks. I fall into #3. I'd say the OP here falls into #2. But as Valolammas and some others have said, some discretion can go a long ways in helping your career and your perception when in the work force. Now if you have some cubicle job with no room for advancement, maybe you don't care. But if you're looking to impress people and move up in your company, I don't think that a "screw those fear mongers, I'll use whatever knife I want to cut my apple, because it's legal" is the best route to take. A dude wearing a dress to work may be legal, but do you do it?