1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Are you ever afraid to whip it out?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by ecksdog, Jul 1, 2011.

1. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

neutrontech Loaded Pockets

I know that it is a personal choice to be discreet around others, and it's a choice that should be made so that you feel comfortable. I guess I just view it like this: I have a knife. I like my knife. I want to use it whenever I can. It has made my life so much easier having it handy. This is who I am. If a friend or family doesn't like it, then I guess it's too bad. They can open their minds and accept me for who I am, or they can keep their minds closed and away from me. I won't change or hide myself so that others feel better about being around me.

I've been fortunate enough, I guess, that nobody has ever questioned my knife carrying.

2. nbmaine2007

nbmaine2007 Loaded Pockets

Well, maybe you don't. Now someone who didn't want to draw attention to themselves, and worry about situations like this, would use a different folder for work. Just because a knife is "designed and intended" to work a certain way, doesn't mean it can cause some undue attention. Why not use a butterfly knife? Or pull an 8 inch diving knife out of your boot?

Fellow EDCers see nothing wrong with how you open your Kershaw. But to 90% of the rest of the world, a little discretion can go a long ways, particularly around people who you have to work with.

3. jlagman

jlagman Loaded Pockets

That's one of the reasons why I have many different cutting edges on me at any given time. If I'm in an environment where the plebs might freak out if they see someone whip out a pocket knife, I'll choose one of my multitool or SAK blades instead, if they're suitable for the cutting task at hand.

4. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

Well, we are the tool makers afterall.

5. able_man
    • In Omnia Paratus

able_man Loaded Pockets

This ties in a bit with the other thread on knifeless travel where there's talk about what makes a weapon. If I'm loony enough and bent on doing damage a box cutter is easily a weapon. So why are so many people more comfortable with them? I think in a way it's more questionable if you walk around with a box cutter in your pocket rather than a pocket knife. Unless you're at work of course.

6. WillCAD

WillCAD Loaded Pockets

That varies greatly from place to place, city to city, state to state, sometimes even workplace to workplace.

I work in the engineering industry, in cube farms full of city folk who don't spend much time away from places like home and the office where tools are readily available. They tend to be woefully under-equipped in their car and personal EDC, and many of them view any kind of a folding pocket knife as a weapon. They're all perfectly happy to work with me, joke with me, talk to me - until they see the knife! Some will freak out like I just pulled out a hand grenade. I've had people back away from me in terror when I casually took out a multitool to pull a stubborn staple out of a set of plans.

So for some people, yes, it's the knife or tool, not the person. They actually fear inanimate objects more than the people who wield them.

7. hafpit

hafpit Loaded Pockets

I don't work in an office, and when anyone pulls out their knife on a jobsite, I can't imagine anyone raising an eyebrow, as long as it's task related.

8. JAfromMn

JAfromMn Banned

At work all the employees see my knives and me using them its not a big deal but I don't let any hotel guests at work see me using one. I have got one email complaint on me for "using a large weapon"- My spyderco Endura- at work and my boss was not happy not about the knife but that someone seen it. He likes that I carry the big knife though - thats what he calls my Endura the big knife- and he uses my knife often like he uses the rest of my edc. I got a good Boss he just likes me to keep my gear out of sight of the public.

9. Nickortizzle1035

Nickortizzle1035 Loaded Pockets

it all depends who is around.

10. bladeblabber

bladeblabber Loaded Pockets

i carry an automatic 90% of the time so if there are a lot of people around that i dont know i deploy it slowly (hold the blade down when you push the button and then pull the blade out two handed)

11. hatchetjack

hatchetjack EDC Junkie!!!!!

Done the same with mine and no one was any the wiser. I don't like attracting undue attention or making others around me uncomfortable in spite of what my feelings might be. It's a courtesy I like to extend to others around me.

12. MagnaWolf

MagnaWolf Loaded Pockets

I ain't afraid! I've only got a SAK Explorer. Somehow I haven't found a place for something bigger in my EDC. Anything that I encounter in my my everyday life can easily be handeled with my SAK Explorer. Everything bigger than that I consider to be e "Penile Substitute". But if I'm going out into the wilderness, I wouldn't mind carry a Mora and a good axe (Gränsfors Bruks or a Wetterlings).

13. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

I believe I stated that when you are at work, there's nothing you can do about it. You have to follow policies or risk losing the job. Now, if I worked someplace with no knife restrictions, I would use my knife like I would any other time.

I'm not trying to pull the biggest, most aggressive looking knife out for the purpose of freaking out others. I simply use a knife that I like, in the way it was designed to be used. That's it. If someone gets scared because I used it to open a letter, then they need to be scared. Not of me, but of their own ignorance.

14. MagnaWolf

MagnaWolf Loaded Pockets

A well placed fist works just as fine on an assailant as any knife would. It just takes the right placement! :) If the statistics are to believed, the knife you carry are just as likely to be used back on yourself. Learn to use your wit, your vocabulary skills to avoid harm. Nonviolence is always the best options...if there is no other way to go. Learn to use the assailants momentum against him...

15. bigfoot

bigfoot Loaded Pockets

This is exactly what SAKs are for. Everyone and their brother has a SAK somewhere. Or five.

16. mikey

mikey Banned

Yeah, I will second that one!! The part about having five or so.... :)

17. MagnaWolf

MagnaWolf Loaded Pockets

Can't get enough...?

18. larry302

larry302 Empty Pockets

I'm of the mind that people need to see good people using knives so its seen as normal. So don't hide your knives no matter the size or color like its kiddy :censored: or some other form of evil .

I thank God everyday I'm a firefighter and don't have to work with folks afraid of tools. My crew (I'm the boss) carry Striders,Hinderers,Spyderco's and so on,often more then one. We shoot on my range and clean guns at work.......

19. mikey

mikey Banned

I am trying to let some go because I do have some for sale but no one is buying!! :(

20. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

Who said anything about an attack or defense involving a knife? We're not talking about whipping it out to defend ourselves, we're talking about some hiding their knife usage from others.