1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Are you ever afraid to whip it out?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by ecksdog, Jul 1, 2011.

1. ecksdog

ecksdog Loaded Pockets

You're at work in the office breakroom at lunchtime. Several co-workers are sitting around the table. Do you ever have any aprehension before you flip open your tactical knife (like say an all black Barrage assisted opener) and cut up your apple?

2. Brules

Brules Loaded Pockets

I work in a very large office and would never consider pulling out my knife. I work with a lot of people that would consider it a "weapon".

3. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

neutrontech Loaded Pockets

Nope. I never give it any thought whatsoever. If I need my knife for something, I whip it out and use it.

ChrisJ likes this.
  4. stax
    • In Omnia Paratus

stax Loaded Pockets

I don't take my Mini Barrage to the office. Many would consider it a weapon. But I do take my SAK Cadet, and if I need it, I use it.

5. Ajax

Ajax Loaded Pockets

I carry a SOG Flash 1 for daily beater use and flip it out all the time. It's usually to open a box or something so no one really bats an eye.
    I wouldn't casually open it just to pick at my nails though.

I also have a SOG Aegis on me that I would only pull defensively or to show to friends.
    The sight of that blade would probably make people nervous.

It's not the presence of a knife that would make me nervous but the cavalier use of one. If I notice a clip hanging from your belt I might ask about it and want to see it but if someone is doinking around with a blade, stabbing boxes, or being generally careless with it, I would avoid them or tell them to put it away.

6. nbmaine2007

nbmaine2007 Loaded Pockets

If you just take it out to do the chore, then no. If you take it out and make a point to flip it open for everyone to see, then I think you're best leaving it in your pocket. Generally people aren't afraid of a knife. They are afraid of a knife in the hands of a crazy or careless person.

7. dmattaponi

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

I use a Victorinox Explorer for such occasions. It's actually the better knife for most of my daily uses anyway, than the tactical folder clipped to my pocket.

8. hatchetjack

hatchetjack EDC Junkie!!!!!

When I worked in an office environment, I always carried a small Case or Rough Rider Stockman. I always started out with the shortest blade. If I was at lunch, I'd open it under the table so it is already open if someone were to see it. Do the chore then back in the pocket. Never had a problem. I think there is a difference between being deliberate and "whipping it out".

9. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

My Kershaw is made to be opened my flipping it. There are no thumb studs, nor finger grooves. It's assisted open, and the finger nub that causes it to flick open and SNAP into place, is how the knife is intended to be opened. So while I pull it out to do the chore and then put it away, it is always flipped open. I don't see how that makes someone crazy or careless by opening a knife the way it was designed and intended.

10. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

No one I spend time around would be surprised by anything I do.

mightywombat and Ktowngunner like this.
  11. DrChimRichalds
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

DrChimRichalds Loaded Pockets

Oh, this is a thread about knives.

12. able_man
    • In Omnia Paratus

able_man Loaded Pockets

You've either got a good lot of friends or they've given up trying to figure you out!;D

13. stax
    • In Omnia Paratus

stax Loaded Pockets

lol

14. ecksdog

ecksdog Loaded Pockets

Funny though that people look at a SAK as totally harmless and innocent. I guess because Switzerland was always considered a neutral country.

15. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

No, it's because MacGyver has given it the image of a "good guy tool".

sungame likes this.
  16. mikey

mikey Banned

I thought MacGyver only used a pen spring to fix most things! LOL

17. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

I keep a Tuatahi throwing axe on the shelf above my sofa. What you see is what you get.

mightywombat likes this.
  18. legoman0721

legoman0721 Loaded Pockets

For the most part I don't, but if someone is nearby that fits the stereotypical "afraid-of-knives" image I have in my head, then I use the box cutter I have to carry at work rather than the Leek, Manix, or Skyline that's usually in my pocket. A bright orange box cutter that looks like it was made by Mattel isn't very frightening. If I'm out on my own time, I don't worry about it at all. As long as I'm not breaking any laws (and I'm not!), than I use my knife the way I want to.

19. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

Absolutely!!! There's not much you can do about work. You have to abide by company policies, but on your own time this is the bottom line.

20. jegrundh

jegrundh Loaded Pockets

I EDC a CRKT Drifter w/ serrations (going to trade it out for the one without) and i have to consciously open it slowly if i'm around people, and even then my family is hesitant to have me bring it out in public, and i don't know why? Normally when i open it i do it with a flick of the wrist or with my thumb hard enough that it snaps into place. All that being said, thinking about picking up a Swiss Army Sentinel as a dedicated food blade (easier to clean and sometimes nice to have a blade you know hasn't been digging through god knows what haha).