1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Are you EDCing the Cloud?

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by DeepBlue, Oct 13, 2014.

1. DeepBlue

DeepBlue Loaded Pockets

I realised over the weekend that I now EDC the Cloud. I've used a few of the Cloud storage sites on the free 2 or 4GB levels but about six months ago bought some proper Cloud storage for business purposes. At the time that amounted to 400GB and change through a couple of providers for about $200 per year total. Now, a few months later that has turned into 2+TB for no extra cost.

After 6months it's now apparent that coupled with automatic syncing, fast WiFi, good Broadband and increasingly good 4G mobile coverage where I work, live and travel, I pretty much work out of the Cloud and never worry about additional drives (or USB sticks).

I can now work locally on a PC (well MacBook Pro with a TB of flash), iPad mini (128GB) or if I really have to, an iPhone and docs sync across and between them with little issue. Each machine has own local copies of anything on the Cloud plus backups on home PC and periodically NAS and USB3 drives.

OK so I do live in a well connected part of the world and not exactly out in the deep country but I'm finding few times when I can't get some form of decent connectivity even when travelling.

It has rather snuck up on me but I do EDC the Cloud. Or is that, in the Cloud...

My only issue is how to fill 2TB over the Internet pipe. I'd love to backup 0.5TB of photos but I just don't think I want to try that amount yet. Currently 'only' using about 150GB.

What do you do?

2. phatch

phatch Loaded Pockets

I use Dropbox regularly. My photos automatically sync when I'm on wifi and I clean out Dropbox photos regularly to local storage. I keep ebooks and other documents in dropbox which gives me local access after syncing.

3. whoppo

whoppo Loaded Pockets

No "cloud" for me thanks. Other than what I choose to share with the world, my data lives only on wholly owned hardware, heavily encrypted. Perhaps 2 decades of working in information security has made me paranoid :) - you might be surprised to know who's really behind some of these "cloud" services.... especially the ones that offer free services ;)

4. Cheeser
    • In Omnia Paratus

Cheeser Hey Bub!

I was cloud through iphone, then changed to one drive for photos and recently had my dropbox storage increased from 4 gig to 48 gig for no reason. Dropbox is only to share music and movies with my fiance's computer easily :)

Wishoot likes this.
  5. Wishoot

Wishoot Loaded Pockets

Pretty much the same for me. As long as the information isn't private or proprietary, I'll put it in the cloud. Otherwise, it's encrypted and password protected. I have a 32g micro-sd that gives me more than enough storage space on my S4.

6. mace85

mace85 Loaded Pockets

I use Dropbox for my class files and work files shared with me. They aren't my files so I am not concerned about security as someone else put them there. But I don't use Dropbox for music or ebooks. I have had Dropbox delete these files for copyright infringement, even though they were my legitimately purchased files.

7. Tinman313

Tinman313 Empty Pockets

I got 50 gb free from box, which I similar to Dropbox. I use Evernote daily for keeping notes and I back up all my photos I Flickr since they offer free 1TB accounts

8. phatch

phatch Loaded Pockets

I do use Evernote a lot too.

Dedrich likes this.
  9. Trave1ingEast

Trave1ingEast Loaded Pockets

This.

10. Chimay

Chimay Loaded Pockets

Ive got 1tb on Microsoft one drive, and the dropbox and box.net few gigs or whatever. I don't keep much out there that is personal.

Depending on your cloud storage you can configure ftp type clients to connect securely, then limit your upload speed and even have it self throttle if you are worried about saturating your internet connection. Or if your router has QoS just enable it set your prioritization and upload away.

11. Dedrich

Dedrich Loaded Pockets

I've been using dropbox for many years, have about ~50gb of storage. I use it as the My Documents folder, so whatever work I do I automatically have backups. I keep personal data on local drives only.

When I was recently putting together my first EDC keychain, I made sure to include a usb stick (Kensington datatraveler 16gb) where I carry import numbers, contact info, etc. I thought that relying on the cloud in an emergency might be a problem so this route seemed safer.

12. VinceRN

VinceRN Loaded Pockets

I do use Google Drive and iCloud for a few things, but not for anything that matters, not for anything I would not want the general public to see. For instance, I am working on a higher degree right now, the stuff I write for school I don't mind being "in the cloud" because I am also posting it to the University and their servers are no more secure than Google's or Apple's. I do genealogy stuff, and share much of the data on ancestors that died at least fifty years ago on community sites, so having a back up of that in the cloud is no problem.

Anything private or important is stored encrypted on my own hardware and backed up offline.

13. Americanpiegamer188

Americanpiegamer188 Loaded Pockets

The Cloud is ok but I like to have a physical USB drive just in-case....

The Cloud is very nice to share files quickly across the world, though.

14. eddiejester

eddiejester Loaded Pockets

I use multiple STaaS (Storage as a Service) accounts for non personal files only.
    I would never store any personal files in the "Cloud". i.e. Tax Returns, Passwords etc.
    I have RAID 1 on my laptop and I use two external hard drives to backup all personal files.

15. ngc604

ngc604 Loaded Pockets

I use owncloud. Syncs my iPhone and iPad. All data is stored on an older dedicated computer. Picture Dropbox(or any of those services) but using my own hardware. It's free and I love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. dml24

dml24 Loaded Pockets

I use Microsoft OneDrive and Gmails free storage. More than enough to back up photes, a few videos and other documents. I don't us cloud storage for business since my employer has thier own enterprise storage system.

17. DeepBlue

DeepBlue Loaded Pockets

I noticed that One Drive with a 365 subscription is now unlimited storage!

18. comeonbabylightmyfire

comeonbabylightmyfire Loaded Pockets

Dropbox is monitored by snoopers. Condoleeza Rice is on the board.

Occasionally I use Spider Oak, as recommended by Edward Snowden. And even then, it's just for swapping files so nothing sensitive gets uploaded to third party providers. I have a similar background to whoppo hence the similar sceptical outlook.