1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Are We Paranoid?

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by Minibear453, Jul 28, 2013.

1. Minibear453
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Minibear453 Loaded Pockets

I was talking to a girl today, and as many of my conversations go, it moved to my EDC. She told me I must be paranoid to carry all this stuff around (to be honest, I'm really a lightweight compared to most of you. Knife, pocket FAK, zebralight, wallet, cell phone, and keys.) I was about to stop her and tell her I was merely being prepared... but isn't being prepared a sign of paranoia? Or is it just good common sense? I can't tell, I'm too insane to be normal. :rofl:

2. warchild
    • Memoria in Aeterna
    • In Omnia Paratus

warchild Eternal Pockets

Prepared. Not paranoid, Paranoid would indicate a fear or set of fears deemed unreasonable. Earth quake, Flood, Tornado, Fire, Trauma or Illness bring with them situations in which EDC gear can have real life saving use. Also when she rips a nail down to the cuticle trying to peel packing tape off something, Perhaps you could offer a little Neosporin and a Band Aid from the "Paranoid Kit", A small knife would have 'prevented this". So I say definitely not paranoid. Plus the other 9 voices in my head said no as well:p.

3. Fukurai
    • In Omnia Paratus

Fukurai EDC Junkie!!!!!

I also would go for prepared. I got a chuckle from my colleague for carrying a small FAK in my bag. The thing is it already came handy quite some times, so I'm fine carrying a bit extra weight than not having it when needed.

4. sbakker
    • In Omnia Paratus

sbakker Loaded Pockets

Given that someone tried to break into my house two nights ago? Nope.

5. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean someone isn't actually out to get you.

Sent by Owl Post

wrath0r, 3bears, whoozle and 13 others like this.
  6. VT-aroo

VT-aroo Loaded Pockets

Ask her to take the spare tire out of her car.

7. xbanker
    • Administrator

xbanker Geriatric Admin
    Staff Member

Does she consider herself paranoid for "carrying" the spare tire in her vehicle (which sees far less use than what's in your pockets)?

^^^ @ VT-aroo ... great minds. :)

8. Rockwell Torrey

Rockwell Torrey Loaded Pockets

There is no question in my mind. I know I'm paranoid. The only question I have is "Am I paranoid enough?". I think the answer is NO. When someone is out to get you paranoia just makes good sense.

When you are having all your email read, all your phone calls listened to, and all your internet traffic tracked and posts read paranoia not only makes sense it is mandatory. Anything else is just hiding your head in the sand.

Any right to privacy we ever thought we had is long gone. Like most if not all of the Bill of Rights.

Benjamin Franklin : “People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both”

NeWt, don Roberto, SAKplumber and 4 others like this.
  9. socaldsal

socaldsal Loaded Pockets

You can dismiss people in your life you don't jive with, but you don't need my permission for that. Unless you have a long standing tie that binds, then be open to approach but not actively seeking to hang out. I see it as being prepared within reason, however I've been through some earthquakes, fires, third world "vacation" spots, and some car crashes. Reasonable to me might be a little much to you, as your version of reasonable was paranoid to her. Just laugh it off, or not talk to her as much, if she's reacting that way to a small part of your individual being. It's band aids, keys, phone, and a knife man. You weren't out there hauling enough to take down Tora Bora. I'm actually getting a little mad that there are people who really expect if they need anything or everything that help will come from on high. Anyhow, my two pesos.

10. boyo17

boyo17 EDC Junkie!!!!!

EDC is paranoid if you don't use it

MUTzilla, figuy, Fukurai and 4 others like this.
  11. New_Pollution1086
    • In Omnia Paratus

New_Pollution1086 Loaded Pockets

No, we are handy and usually helpful. I'm currently on vacation in Kauai with my family. I of course have my fenix e11 on me, unless at the beach. The first night I pulled it out my brother in law made fun of me. Since then he's asked to use it at least once a day. My vote goes to prepared.

T

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk 2

12. Ibrahim Sarp Dogan

Ibrahim Sarp Dogan Loaded Pockets

13. mole

mole EDC Junkie!!!!!

prepared

14. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Ice, Ice, Tigre

You are prepared for things you need to do in your day;
    Knife; you likely like to open your mail, parcels, and packaging from things you buy...
    pocket FAK; you have at least once cut yourself durring the above activities with the knife. ;)
    zebralight; Fact of life: it gets dark. You have a need to see....
    wallet; an unfortunate requirement of modern life is the carry of some form of payment(usually in copious amounts!)
    cell phone; you like to make or receive calls, and browse EDCF on the net.
    keys; you like to get into your house or car, or at least start your car.

Paranoia is a strong fear, generally unfounded by actual events in the persons life...
    So, ask her if she carries a spare tire? Reason for doing it; has she ever needed it/had a flat?
    Does she lock her doors at night, or lock her car doors? Reason for doing this; Has she ever had a break in or theft to prompt this?

If no on the reasons, SHE is the paranoid one.
    If yes on the reasons, then she is also prepared based on experiances... Same as you are.

And honestly, does she carry a purse? challenge her to empty it out and show you how much Junk she carries that she doesn't Ever use... ;) :p

:)
    -G.

villaphoto, netcat, Fukurai and 5 others like this.
  15. popedandy

popedandy Loaded Pockets

If carrying stuff I need to use on a regular basis is being paranoid, I guess I am.

16. Dark

Dark Loaded Pockets

She's one of them! Illuminati! :D

17. Charlz

Charlz Loaded Pockets

Tell her to cancel her life insurance, flood insurance, and major medical. If she refuses then mock her as a paranoid with OCD.

18. Si_K
    • In Omnia Paratus

Si_K Loaded Pockets

For what you carry I don't think it really fits into either camp. Certainly not paranoid and not enough to be called "prepared" in comparison to a lot of people on here. You're just carrying stuff that your father probably would have, as a matter of course before it got labelled as something.

If you stashed abseiling gear in your office with enough food to last a year, then you'd be paranoid.

(No offence to those that do have these items, whatever floats your packable, inflatable boat that you have stashed somewhere close to hand).

19. Sarky

Sarky Loaded Pockets

I don't EDC stuff because I'm paranoid, but because it really annoys me when I don't have something I need at hand. I'm possibly a touch OCD, but not paranoid. :unsure:

pelicularities, CNeal, netcat and 3 others like this.
  20. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

Some of us carry what we use so it would be hard to call it paranoia, some carry things because it makes life easier. We are not all the same out here.