1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

are watches going bye bye?

Discussion in 'Watches' started by AirForceShooter, Apr 19, 2006.

1. Pwallwin

Pwallwin Loaded Pockets

Re: people still wear watches??

It's always gonne be there when you need it, and they are a piece of gadgetry in themselves.

It's rarely more convenient to pull out my mobile phone from my pocket than it is to glance at my wrist. Especially in work, when both hands are usually dirty or just busy.

Why wouldn't you wear a watch? :p

2. noosphere

noosphere Empty Pockets

I used to wear a watch 'till I lost mine. Now I don't wear one because I can't find a decent replacement. All the ones I've seen are either too ugly, lack the functions I need, are too big, or too expensive... or a combination of these. So for now I'm making do with my cellphone, even though it's less convenient.

::noosphere::

3. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

I like wearing a watch.

4. Starcruiser1229

Starcruiser1229 Loaded Pockets

I also like wearing a watch - it is useful, with the time, day and date right on my wrist (and yes, sometimes I do forget what day it is... :help: )

They also (I think), look good.

It is also one more gadget for the geek in me to play with.

Personally, I wear a citizen ecodrive. I think I might like to get some nice automatics at some point when I have more money... :broke:

I do believe that if you do not enjoy wearing a watch, there is no real need to. However, for me, it is easier then looking at my phone, and my watch is one of my most used pieces of gear.

Patrick

5. Gadget Guy

Gadget Guy Banned

This post is from June, and I just got a battery for the pocket watch! :laugh:

6. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

WOW. It took you awhile to get a battery, eh?

7. Blazer

Blazer Empty Pockets

Watches are the most functional piece of jewelery one will ever own, a cell phone can not replace that. Maybe in the future those of us who grew up with watches will only appreciate them more, as a sign of times past, but maybe not.

Just picked up a Swiss Army Maverick II Chronograph, gotta love the big thick S/S watches with the black face. To me they're almost as much a work of art as a tool...but then again I think only the people on this board would understand. My wife keeps asking, "Why do you need so many watches?" to which I reply, "Why do you need so many shoes?" and all's good.

Watches will be around for quite some time. (pun intended)

8. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

Well said Blazer!!

9. peacefuljeffrey

I just arrived home from work. While I was at work, something (dunno what) made me think of posting a thread on this very topic! I got home, logged on, and here under the watches category, this thread was at the TOP of the list! (What a weird coincidence!)

I remember reading or seeing something where they said that more and more people are using their phones and PDAs for time-telling. I will keep my watch. The display is always the same; on my phone, there is a screen-save mode after a few minutes, and the display changes back and forth. I also like having countdown timer and stopwatch capabilities--which I have with my simple, inexpensive, easily replaceable Casio digital watch.

I just wonder if the market for watches may shrink to the point where new models or features begin to get scarce . . .

-Jeffrey

10. peacefuljeffrey

I don't know about magazines (I think there'll always be a huge market for them) but I do know that the newspaper business is hemhorraging. Even the ones that are doing better than all the rest are either missing budgets or declining in revenues. Just about every noteworthy newspaper has put its content online, to show you how much threat there is from non-print media.

-Jeffrey

11. Gadget Guy

Gadget Guy Banned

Anyone into silent movies? Things will be fazed out as technology continues to boom. It is just a matter of time. (Pun intended) :lolhammer:

12. SF1

SF1 Banned

They will be around, for many reasons. From just fun to a status symbol. Remember where they still use wristwatches is on all space missions.

SF1

13. Blazer

Blazer Empty Pockets

Good one. :thumbsup:

14. jamesrodgers

jamesrodgers Loaded Pockets

Watches will never be replaced in my view.

15. kimber 1911

kimber 1911 Empty Pockets

second

16. Dizos

Dizos Loaded Pockets

Not unless we start wearing our cellphones on our wrists. A quick wrist glance is much more convenient than removing and then replacing something from a pocket, bag or pouch to view the time.

17. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

I've noticed amongst my peers the trend of using a cell phone to tell the time. I usually ask them where their watches are. Personally, I prefer a timepiece that is not so dependent on having been charged the previous night. My current watch of choice is a Citizen Eco-Drive with lots of dials and timekeeping features.